Catholic Weddings
Options

Here Comes the Bride a no-go in the Catholic Church?

I've heard that some Catholic churches do not allow the song "Here Comes the Bride" during weddings. We are having our ceremony outside of Mass. Have you heard of this? If so, what songs have you heard of that replace this? I'd be so bummed if we couldn't play it!

Re: Here Comes the Bride a no-go in the Catholic Church?

• Options
    First of all check with your church to see if they do allow it if you really want to have it. DD had Trumpet Voluntary by Purcell as the processional. Another is Canon in D. There are a lot of choices. I'd start by asking the music director at your church.
  • Options
    Yes, I've heard that many churches will not allow it as it is a secular piece of music with some not-so-Catholic origins and associations.

There is a link here of other options used by ladies on this board: https://sites.google.com/site/theknotcatholicweddings/music

• Options
    One of my friends had it played for her procession in a Nuptial Mass, so I think it really does depend on the parish. As PPs said, ask the music director at your church. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I agree with PPs that you should check with the music director at the church.  Also, another idea that we did was we processed in to Gather Us In, and sang as we walked.  It was awesome:)  But I love singing an insane amount...
  • Options
    Aw, none of the songs I used are on the list .... (not surprisingly).

I used "By My Side" by Thomas Porter  (here's a video of it being sung - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7JeLrxWOpU)

• Options
    Think "Sunday Mass" when you're choosing music for your wedding. This isn't your private day. A sacrament is a celebration of the Christian community, a public event. Choose music that is familiar to the congregation. Participation rather than being spectators.
  • Options
    Think "Sunday Mass" when you're choosing music for your wedding. This isn't your private day. A sacrament is a celebration of the Christian community, a public event. Choose music that is familiar to the congregation. Participation rather than being spectators.
    Good advice... unless you're like H and I and had pretty much no Catholics at our wedding.  We ended up just picking music we like (sacred, liturgical music, of course).

SaveSave
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards