Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Size exchange at David's

I think I want to exchange my dress for one more size up. I fit, technically, but I think I'd be more comfortable in a bit bigger. However, the hook from the "hook and eye" part of the bodice popped off because my mom left it hooked the last time we tried it on. David's will exchange unaltered dresses. The way I see it, my options are: 
  1. Sew the hook back on and don't say anything to David's, could potentially get called out.
  2. Tell David's what happened and hope they are okay with it.
  3. Don't exchange it and just wear the size I have.
  4. Buy the dress again in a bigger size, try to sell the one I have. (Oh Jesus.)
What are your thoughts?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Size exchange at David's

• Options
    Have you talked with a seamstress about the dress? My seamstress told me that most gowns have about 1/2 to 1 inch of extra room that can be let out, it could be that a seamstress could just let out your gown a little, giving extra room. Look at the seams where the dress is tight, is there any extra fabric?
  • Options
    Agree with the above- ask to speak with someone from alterations, they can make small adjustments on size. 
  • Options

Your undergarments can make a HUGE difference in how a dress looks/size.  If anything maybe try the dress on in the next size up to make the ultimate decision...

• Options
    hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited February 2016
    wait was the hook and eye removed or did it fall off if it fell off then it was faulty and you should be able to exchange for a new one or new size talk to alterations,  but first try the dress on in the next size it may be to big in some parts and need a lot more in alterations than just getting your current dress let out 
  • Options

If you can get into the dress and zip it up, then you most likely have enough fabric built into the seems to let it out.  Of course every dress is different, so the best way to approach this is to try on the dress again with all your undergarments, (try spanx if you haven't already) and see how it fits.  Then talk to a seamstress if you still need a little room.

The hook should not have some off, even if you did pull it a little, but that's a simple fix.  Also, don't be afraid to get more than one opinion on the alterations, David's is notoriously expensive and takes forever compared to the local seamstresses. (at least in my area!)

• Options
    I have my undergarments, the longline bra from DB that definitely helps the dress fit better. I guess I was thinking because it was our fault that the hook popped off that I wouldn't be able to exchange it. I have been trying to put off alterations due to fluctuating weight, but I have someone local, definitely NOT DB. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards