Wedding Woes
Options

Mom wants us to refuse offers of help.

Dear Prudence,
My sister has metastatic cancer, and recently her condition has worsened. I am her only sibling, and we are both young adults. Our parents are going on vacation for a week next month (they planned it before my sister’s condition worsened), and I am taking off work and staying with my sister during that week. My question is: Our family has many friends who have offered to help “in any way” during this stressful time. My sister and I are college age and don’t have the wherewithal to cook for ourselves all the time. So I think it would be reasonable to tell people (if they specifically ask how to help) that they could bring us a frozen meal or two to eat during the week. My mother thinks this is a bad idea because she is embarrassed that we would be asking for anything while she and my dad are on vacation. I argue that it allows our wonderful friends to tangibly help, it is for a limited time frame, and it will give us way better nutrition than we would have otherwise. I feel like it’s prudent. What do you think?

–Helping Hand?

Re: Mom wants us to refuse offers of help.

• Options
    Mom needs to step back.  There are websites to facilitate these types of things. carecalendar.org, lotsofhelpinghands.com, signupgenius.com.

• Options
    This annoys the crap out of me. If someone is offering to help, let them help! That means they want to! Mom needs to check her pride at the door.

• Options
    I wish that our society saw this sort of pride/vanity as being as problematic as the self-centered appearance based pride and vanity.

Accepting help is a good thing.

• Options
    When my mom had a bilateral mastectomy almost 2 years ago, I was her sole caretaker. People asked if they could bring food over and I told them yes! It saved me from having to cook while I was taking care of her the first week after surgery. If people want to bring food, let them. Everybody will be happier for it. Friends will feel like they helped and the girls won't have to suffer eating the sister's cooking.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Either she knows her friend's cooking habits (Seriously - we have friends that NO WAY IN HE** would we ever trust their cooking even if we love them to death!) or it's a vanity issue...  If it's because her friend's cooking/food handling habits leave much to be desired, then I'm hoping the parents leave pizza & ramen money while they're away so the two can eat out...  And if not, then I'd do a financial request for funds to cover the cost of food that doesn't require much prep...

But, that said, I can also understand things from the parent's perspective and they need to listen to the parents - there's a time and a place, that's not it... 

• Options
    Honestly, it sounds like your mom is more embarrassed that she is going on vacation, than for you to accept help. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards