Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Good problem to have!

I think I know the best way to handle this, but was hoping for insight/confirmation:

A cousin of mine and his wife sent me a gift of two items from my registry. They are very generous to have done so and I immediately sent a thank you note, specifically listing that I'm looking forward to using each item for. Now, about a week later, a third gift has arrived from them (all purchased together but shipped separately, it seems).

Is the best gesture to write an additional thank you note here? I want to be prompt with whatever I end up doing so they know that this third present didn't get lost in the mail. Thanks all!

Re: Good problem to have!

• Options
    Never hurts to second a thank you note.

Send one so they know you received the third item.

If I received a TY note mentioning 2/3 items, I think I'd wonder if the couple received the last one or not.

• Options
    This happened with me, except I was the one sending the gift. I sent several things that were shipped separately for a baby shower. The thank you note only mention a couple of the gifts. I wondered if the rest were delivered. I finally emailed the parents. The gifts had all been received. It never hurts to write a thank you note.
  • Options
    Bed bath and beyond right? I sent out 5 different thank you notes to one aunt. Once I received only 1 $1.99 placemat (I registered for 4) I waited a week to see if more were coming before writing a note.

• Options
    Yes, send another note. It will let them know that the third gift arrived. If the first note didn't mention these new items, they may be wondering about it.
  • Options
    A similar thing happened to me but it was just a day or two in between the gifts arriving.. So I received gift #1, sent out the thank you the same day or the day after, and then received gift #2 directly after... Basically the first thank you note hadn't even made it to my cousin yet. I'm close enough to her that a quick text saying "You should be getting my thank you note soon, gift #2 wasn't mentioned because it just arrived but thank you for that also!" I know it's probably not 100% etiquette approved, but it seemed silly to send out two notes so closely together.

I agree with PPs though, it doesn't hurt to send another one!
  • Options
    A similar thing happened to me but it was just a day or two in between the gifts arriving.. So I received gift #1, sent out the thank you the same day or the day after, and then received gift #2 directly after... Basically the first thank you note hadn't even made it to my cousin yet. I'm close enough to her that a quick text saying "You should be getting my thank you note soon, gift #2 wasn't mentioned because it just arrived but thank you for that also!" I know it's probably not 100% etiquette approved, but it seemed silly to send out two notes so closely together.

I agree with PPs though, it doesn't hurt to send another one!
    I'd just send a text or phone call or email, or however you normally communicate with the person. You already sent a thank you not, it does seem silly to send another. You want to the person to know you're thankful, but that doesn't necessarily require a second physical thank you note. 
  • Options
    It may be worth it to also check your registry thank-you list, just in case there are more coming from them.
  • Options
    VicTim328 said:
    It may be worth it to also check your registry thank-you list, just in case there are more coming from them.

I wish I could! @lnixon8 nailed it, it is Bed Bath and Beyond, which doesn't have a thank you manager. I would assume the three things were everything from them, but since a couple of other things are purchased, you are right that I should confirm that I've gotten everything.

@spockforprez: Thanks so much for the great wording! Also, know that I'm pulling for you and your FH.

Thanks everyone for your great advice - I'm going to send a second note since we aren't super close and I know they'd appreciate it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards