Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

e-STD's

I searched back a few pages and couldn't find anything on electronic STD's.

Of course I will send paper invites, but are electronic STD's tacky? Everyone we would invite has email. We announced our engagement via email, and received responses from everyone, so we have the correct information. I'm trying to decrease the amount of "stuff" our wedding generates, and cutting out a bunch of paper would help. I also feel like a bit more info could be included in the electronic format, as well as a direct link to our website so people don't have to hand type it in (maybe that's just a personal annoyance!).

Re: e-STD's

• Options
    Well, I'm not a fan.  You could have many of the same problems with e-STDs as you would with evites for a wedding:

1) Everyone can see who else is included, which is not necessarily something you want to share with everyone.  And in the case of save-the-dates, someone may not realize that someone who is not getting a save-the-date but is invited may ask you about it.  That could be uncomfortable.

2) People just don't take electronic communications as seriously as they do paper ones.  They may fail to save the date simply because they didn't open the e-STD.

3) e-STDs can end up in spam filters just as evites sometimes do.

4) Not everyone is sufficiently computer or Internet-savvy, or has online access, so if such a person is someone you want to send a save-the-date to, you can't do it by electronic communication.

So I'd use paper for both invitations and save-the-dates.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    Well, I'm not a fan.  You could have many of the same problems with e-STDs as you would with evites for a wedding:

1) Everyone can see who else is included, which is not necessarily something you want to share with everyone.  And in the case of save-the-dates, someone may not realize that someone who is not getting a save-the-date but is invited may ask you about it.  That could be uncomfortable.

2) People just don't take electronic communications as seriously as they do paper ones.  They may fail to save the date simply because they didn't open the e-STD.

3) e-STDs can end up in spam filters just as evites sometimes do.

4) Not everyone is sufficiently computer or Internet-savvy, or has online access, so if such a person is someone you want to send a save-the-date to, you can't do it by electronic communication.

So I'd use paper for both invitations and save-the-dates.
    To #1, I did verify on a few evite websites that the guest list could be visible only to the host because that was one of my nightmares! Your other points are definitely valid though. I guess I assumed everyone had internet access because we've received email communication from them all, but you're right in that someone sending an email does not mean they would be able to (or want to) open the link to the evite. My family would be totally cool with it, but FI's family is a bit more formal and now that I think about it, they might think it's tacky.
  • Options
    For me it's less about whether it's tacky or not (personally I don't care, std's aren't mandatory anyway) and more that an email is easily filed away or quickly moved down the inbox. Out of sight, out of mind and then defeats the purpose of the bloody thing! Something I can stick on my fridge actually helps me to save the date. 

• Options
    I would just keep it casual. STDs are totally unnecessary, and don't need to be super formal. Instead of sending an evite STD, just send an email to everyone on your list (or just the VIPs/OOTs/whatever) mentioning the date and a link.

You could mention that the formal invitation will be coming later if you're afraid that someone will assume it's your invitation. 
  • Options
    STDs aren't necessary at all so you could skip them. 

Email the pertinent information to your VIPs and guests who might need to make travel arrangements. 

• Options
    Hmm...thanks for the suggestion to just email the pertinent info. I'm not sure why that didn't cross my mind in the first place! That also seems less complicated than setting something up on another website, and since the email would from from us, lessens the chances of it being unread or marked as spam. Great idea!
  • Options
    Hmm...thanks for the suggestion to just email the pertinent info. I'm not sure why that didn't cross my mind in the first place! That also seems less complicated than setting something up on another website, and since the email would from from us, lessens the chances of it being unread or marked as spam. Great idea!
    Phonecalls also work.  Text messages to the people you normally communicate with that way so they don't lose the info.  A STDate is just you telling someone you're inviting that you're inviting them later.  "Aunt Sally, we set our wedding date.  I just wanted to let you know so you and Uncle Bob could make travel arrangements if you're planning on attending.  I'll email you our wedding website so you can see the address in writing and check out the links to our hotel blocks if you decide to use one."
  • Options
    adk19 said:
    Phonecalls also work.  Text messages to the people you normally communicate with that way so they don't lose the info.  A STDate is just you telling someone you're inviting that you're inviting them later.  "Aunt Sally, we set our wedding date.  I just wanted to let you know so you and Uncle Bob could make travel arrangements if you're planning on attending.  I'll email you our wedding website so you can see the address in writing and check out the links to our hotel blocks if you decide to use one."
    I second this. I am not making a wedding website but when my FI and I decided to be engaged to each other and chose a date, which happened concurrently back in August 2015, we called all the closest relatives (just aunts, uncles, first cousins, and grandparents) who we knew we had to invite. We essentially just told them "yay, we're engaged" and what date our wedding will be. My mom and I have been keeping in touch with family to advise of any changes. For example, our venue changed from Indiana where we live, to Pennsylvania, where all my mom's family lives, since they are the majority of guests. It was about 60 people but I called them all in one weekend. I think e-STDs are fine but a phone call is more personal but since it's totally optional anyway, do what you'd prefer to do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My post is more for lurkers than OP...

It's a know your crowd thing, because not everyone uses email like they used to.  I have a work email, a junk email, and because of the wedding, a wedding email for vendors.  My best friend, sister and FI email me at work.  That's it.  Most of my friends and family use FB messenger for electronic communication.  I'm sure a lot of people have my junk email address, but I pretty much only use it for coupon codes, which means if I'm not searching for an email from you, I'll never see it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards