Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Photos the day after the wedding?

So I would really like some outdoor photos on my wedding day, but we're having a winter wedding, so it gets dark a lot earlier (4-4:30). The earliest we can start the ceremony is 3:30, so we're REALLY pushing it if we want outdoor photos.

My Fi is adamantly opposed to doing a first look. I've been trying to talk him into it, but he says he really wants to see each other at the ceremony. He's suggesting we get all dressed up again and do outdoor photos the next day. I laughed off the idea at first, but he's serious and now that I know how much it means to him to see each other at the ceremony for the first time, I'm considering it

My question is, do people do this? We'd have to pay for another day of photography. I'm thinking we'd do the wedding party photos the day of the wedding (him with his guys and me with my girls before the ceremony) and then we could do the formal photo of him, me, and our wedding party indoors after the wedding since it'll be dark outside. Same with our parents That way, the only people who have to dress up the next day are him and me. Is this crazy though?

Re: Photos the day after the wedding?

• Options
    So I would really like some outdoor photos on my wedding day, but we're having a winter wedding, so it gets dark a lot earlier (4-4:30). The earliest we can start the ceremony is 3:30, so we're REALLY pushing it if we want outdoor photos.

My Fi is adamantly opposed to doing a first look. I've been trying to talk him into it, but he says he really wants to see each other at the ceremony. He's suggesting we get all dressed up again and do outdoor photos the next day. I laughed off the idea at first, but he's serious and now that I know how much it means to him to see each other at the ceremony for the first time, I'm considering it

My question is, do people do this? We'd have to pay for another day of photography. I'm thinking we'd do the wedding party photos the day of the wedding (him with his guys and me with my girls before the ceremony) and then we could do the formal photo of him, me, and our wedding party indoors after the wedding since it'll be dark outside. Same with our parents That way, the only people who have to dress up the next day are him and me. Is this crazy though?
    I've never heard of this before.

Are you getting hair and makeup done for your wedding day? If so, are you also going to pay to have that redone the day after? What if wine gets spilled on your dress the night of your wedding? 

This sounds like a lot the day after your wedding, when you probably just want to relax, and kick back.

How about doing the wedding party photos before the ceremony? You with the wedding party, him with the wedding party, but you guys don't see each other?

Then after the ceremony, you can have maybe 10 minutes of outdoor wedding party shots with both of you in them, and the remainder of time dedicated to you and your FI alone?

I would talk to your photographer about putting together a day of timeline for you so you don't have to get dressed up again the next day.

• Options
    I haven't decided yet if I'm going to have hair and makeup professionally done. I used to model throughout college and grad school so I learned how to do my own hair and makeup and may just do it myself. Either way, I wouldn't pay for another day of hair and makeup. I'd do it myself for the day-after photos.

I thought about doing all the WP photos before and then just me and him after the ceremony, but I still worry it'll be dark. In order to have some sunlight, we'd have to start the ceremony no later than 3:30. But because so many people are traveling, I want to be considerate of those who may not be on time due to weather and not freak out if the ceremony doesn't start at 3:30 on the dot.
  • Options
    I think in theory it sounds easy.  Reality says something different. 

Typically, the day after the wedding finds the couple exhausted.  Often, the bride and groom are still fulfilling casual post wedding events, such as a breakfast, on the morning after the wedding, particularly if you have a lot of OOT guests.

You cannot control the weather.  The day after your wedding may be sunny, or it could be grey and cloudy.  It could also snow or rain.  You have no idea how your dress and/or veil will look the next day. A long gown being dragged across winter streets and parking lots will dirty quickly.  Gowns can get stepped on, ripped, or stained.

Speak with your photographer about special lighting equipment and consider early dusk photos.  Consider how beautiful sunset or night/moonlit photos could look.

As far as your ceremony time is concerned, it is important that you start at the appointed hour.  I understand wanting to be cognizant of guests who may arrive late, but it is very important that you be considerate of guests that took the time to make sure they arrived on time. 
  • Options
    They won't be wedding photos, so you might as well take them any random day. I wouldn't feel the sane about pretend photos. I'd insist on the first look or only have indoor photos of me and DH.

Most people are exhausted the next day, I would not eat to try as look good, happy and alert for pro photos. I just wanted to relax.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    I couldn't imagine getting all dolled up again to take photos.  My dress wouldn't have looked as great too - it was dirty at the bottom and would probably need to be pressed to look "fresh".  And there's something to be said about your expressions on the actual wedding day - either the excitement right before the ceremony or right after...I think that would be different if you tried to recreate it the next day.

The next morning (after going on only about 3 or 4 hours of sleep), we got up, hosted breakfast for everyone at the hotel.  We went back to the wedding venue to pick up the leftover cake.  And when we finally got home, we crashed.  No way would I want to even think about doing a photoshoot.  

If your FI is adamant against a first look, I'd just take the photos indoors.  Or, go outside right after the ceremony - I bet you'd get some great sunset/twilight photos.

FWIW, we had an evening reception in the winter.  While we did a first look outdoors, we also had some wonderful pictures taken inside.  Our venue had a fireplace going and we have beautiful photos near it.  Think about your venue - maybe you will have some great spots to take some photos.
  • Options
    snowywintersnowywinter member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    Yeah, I kind of thought it was crazy. As I said, I laughed it off at first, but since he has his heart set on no first look, I was hoping this could work. @JoanE2012 while our venue does have beautiful indoor options, it's the outdoor options that I really love and part of the reason I'm so in love with our venue. Choosing a winter wedding was deliberate and this venue gives us a whole "winter wonderland" affect with beautiful outdoor scenery.

We might just have to do the individual WP photos before and then play it by ear if there's time after the ceremony for outdoor shots of my Fi and me.

@MobKaz, while I understand what you're saying about starting on time, you have to understand that a great chunk of our guests are flying in and I'm providing shuttle service from the airport because it's quite a drive to our venue. Granted, they're not all going to be on the same shuttle, but if one of the shuttles is late, it means that about 20 people are going to be late. I would hope that my guests would be okay with starting a few minutes late if we have to. Obviously, I wouldn't delay the ceremony for an hour or anything like that, but a few minutes doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

• Options
    Yeah, I kind of thought it was crazy. As I said, I laughed it off at first, but since he has his heart set on no first look, I was hoping this could work. @JoanE2012 while our venue does have beautiful indoor options, it's the outdoor options that I really love and part of the reason I'm so in love with our venue. Choosing a winter wedding was deliberate and this venue gives us a whole "winter wonderland" affect with beautiful outdoor scenery.

We might just have to do the individual WP photos before and then play it by ear if there's time after the ceremony for outdoor shots of my Fi and me.

@MobKaz, while I understand what you're saying about starting on time, you have to understand that a great chunk of our guests are flying in and I'm providing shuttle service from the airport because it's quite a drive to our venue. Granted, they're not all going to be on the same shuttle, but if one of the shuttles is late, it means that about 20 people are going to be late. I would hope that my guests would be okay with starting a few minutes late if we have to. Obviously, I wouldn't delay the ceremony for an hour or anything like that, but a few minutes doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

I loved the first look.  It was just me, my DH and our photographer.  Very intimate and we got that initial reaction without everyone else's eyes on us - I liked that private moment. It was very special.  It also helped take the edge off of nerves when I first walked in to the ceremony.  And seeing DH beforehand did not take away from seeing him again as I walked down the aisle to marry him - it was pure excitement!

I get it, some people have strong feelings towards this - but maybe if you talk through the advantages, he might come to see that view favorably.
  • Options
    A friend of mine had an evening winter wedding and reception and they took beautiful photos outside, in the snow, under the streetlights!  Give evening pictures a chance!
  • Options
    A friend of mine had an evening winter wedding and reception and they took beautiful photos outside, in the snow, under the streetlights!  Give evening pictures a chance!
    I didn't say I would hate all evening photos. I'm saying that one of the things I wanted at my wedding was photos of us outside the venue because of how gorgeous it is. Once the sun goes down, it's not half as beautiful, in my opinion.
  • Options
    I had never heard of this until recently -- a girl I know did something similar.  It rained the night of their wedding, so a few days later (after the ground dried I assume?) she and her husband took all their photos outdoors. No idea how it worked logistically, but the photos turned out GORGEOUS! 
  • Options
    Have you looked at what time sunset is? I was concerned about outdoor photos too, we're getting married the beginning of November. But our photographer let us know that sunset is about 4:45pm and they can shoot into dusk so they said we should get an extra half hour after that for photos. With doing as PPs have suggested and doing almost all your wedding party photos beforehand and leaving any family portraits for indoors, you might be able to coordinate outdoor photos just you two.
  • Options

FI and I will be doing this to have pictures taken with his grandmother.  She is 98 and needs help to get around and use the restroom.  As much as it disappoints us, it would be too risky for her to come to the wedding.  We would never forgive ourselves if she came and was injured because she fell.  We decided to visit her nursing home the next day with her corsage.  I know she would be very disappointed if she couldn't see me in my dress and FI in his suit so we are going to put them back on briefly to take pictures with her at the home.  I say if you are both willing to go through the work and cost to do this then go for it! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    missa011 said:
    Have you looked at what time sunset is? I was concerned about outdoor photos too, we're getting married the beginning of November. But our photographer let us know that sunset is about 4:45pm and they can shoot into dusk so they said we should get an extra half hour after that for photos. With doing as PPs have suggested and doing almost all your wedding party photos beforehand and leaving any family portraits for indoors, you might be able to coordinate outdoor photos just you two.
    Unfortunately, sunset is at 4:10 p.m. So a ceremony starting at 3:30 really needs to be short, however we do it.
  • Options
    I had never heard of this until recently -- a girl I know did something similar.  It rained the night of their wedding, so a few days later (after the ground dried I assume?) she and her husband took all their photos outdoors. No idea how it worked logistically, but the photos turned out GORGEOUS! 
    The photos might be gorgeous but IMO what's special about wedding photos is that they are on the day that you got married! Anything else is playing dress up. If it rains, if it's dark, whatever. That was the wedding day. It is real, and special, and beautiful. While no one can keep the sun up in the sky for OP, a good photographer should be able to take beautiful pictures no matter the conditions. They just might not show the property or the venue the way OP is imaging. But IMO, I'd rather have authentic documentation of my H and I on our wedding day than pretty backgrounds while dressed up in our wedding clothes. 

OP, is there any way you can start the ceremony earlier?
  • Options
    lc07 said:
    The photos might be gorgeous but IMO what's special about wedding photos is that they are on the day that you got married! Anything else is playing dress up. If it rains, if it's dark, whatever. That was the wedding day. It is real, and special, and beautiful. While no one can keep the sun up in the sky for OP, a good photographer should be able to take beautiful pictures no matter the conditions. They just might not show the property or the venue the way OP is imaging. But IMO, I'd rather have authentic documentation of my H and I on our wedding day than pretty backgrounds while dressed up in our wedding clothes. 

OP, is there any way you can start the ceremony earlier?
    They did take some photos the day/night of the wedding as well! Some of just the two of them and the ceremony/reception was photographed. Then they took additional pictures of the two of them later. My first post was a little confusing. I don't really see anything wrong with it if they want to "play dress up" after the wedding, but I'm with you. If I've got lots of shots from the actual wedding, I'll be happy! 
  • Options
    My photographer had some really great photo ideas with just me and my husband that we didn't get to do that day of because there just wasn't enough time! We were both disappointed but also wanted to spend that time with our guests (even though we did do a first look shot and pictures before the ceremony - but gathering everyone was sooo time consuming!) So we still have the clothes and I did my own make-up and can do my own hair so we just booked her for another session for a couple weeks out to do more pictures of just us. It'll be better, IMO. I love the photos from the day of - but I have a feeling I'll be more relaxed in the next batch of photos because I won't be worrying about all the things that were going on while we were taking photos the first time. I was so nervous!
  • Options
    When I look at the regret threads it seems one of the common ones is they are disappointed with their pictures. I think photo shoot of the couple in their wedding attire and an actual wedding are two different things, and don't need to happen the same day.

As long as there are photos of the event the during the event, I don't think anyone will miss out on the spontaneous joy.  But a full out shoot with all the shots the couple wants is either either done before the ceremony or leaves their guests waiting. 
  • Options
    I agree with some other people, definitely do as many pictures as you can before the ceremony (all pictures of you and BM and him with GM and each with families).  Also, look on pinterest or websites, there are also very cute ways of having both of you in a picture without seeing each other.  Ask your photographer for some creative ways. Then you will only have a few formal pictures of you 2 needed after.  I would definitely skip day after pictures.
  • Options
    I knew a couple that did that. They had their ceremony & reception at the same place and the location didn't have any spots for doing photos. They didn't want to have to deal with trying to sneak out during cocktail hour & drive somewhere to get photos. So the next day they got dressed up & went to a really cool spot in town & did photos that really fit their personality. Her hair wasn't done up as much as it was on the wedding day, but they had a lot of fun and got some really great photos. They seemed more relaxed and into the moment in the photos because all the "big" stuff was behind them.
  • Options
    Erikan73 said:
    I knew a couple that did that. They had their ceremony & reception at the same place and the location didn't have any spots for doing photos. They didn't want to have to deal with trying to sneak out during cocktail hour & drive somewhere to get photos. So the next day they got dressed up & went to a really cool spot in town & did photos that really fit their personality. Her hair wasn't done up as much as it was on the wedding day, but they had a lot of fun and got some really great photos. They seemed more relaxed and into the moment in the photos because all the "big" stuff was behind them.
    I just saw this too (from a couple that married in October) and my story could mirror this actually. Apparently it wasn't planned; they ran out of time for their desired portraits on the wedding day. Not sure how they got their clothes to look fresh but the photos are beautiful. I think if a couple wants to do this alone and can afford the photographer for those hours, then have fun. 

• Options
    I am planning to do this same thing sort of, just not the day after. I refuse to hire a professional photographer for the day of the wedding. It's just not in the budget and I don't really enjoy having my photo taken. I have old photographs framed of my grandparents and parents in their wedding attire though, and I want my FH and I to have a nice portrait too so we can hang them all on the wall in our house. My wedding is out of state, in September, but I think I'll hire a photographer friend back home to do a mini shoot for us after the fact (maybe a month later, a week later, does not really matter since I want an indoor studio portrait). I just want a wedding portrait that matches my grandparents' and parents' look and feel (very traditional). I don't want to hire a photographer to take professional photos of every little goddamn thing the day of the wedding. Honestly I think you can decide what to do. It seems that as long as you aren't being rude to your guests, you can do whatever the hell you want.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are planning to do something along these lines (but DEFINITELY not the next day).  I have a good friend who is just starting a photography business.  She's never shot a wedding and honestly I want my wedding photos to be done by a professional, let alone I'm going to ask her to stand up and so having her photograph would not make sense.  She was really offended I didn't ask her to be our photographer.  My fiance also wanted pictures in our garb around downtown Detroit which there would be literally no way to do on our wedding day.  We agreed that a few weeks after we were married, we'd take a day, get done up and have her shoot us around Detroit.  He's happy, she's happy and I get another day to wear my dress.  Do I feel like it's a little silly? Sure.  But it covers some bases, doesn't hurt feelings, and we can make it a fun day to bask in the glow a little longer since we likely won't be able to honeymoon for several months.

Personally, I think it's a little weird but it makes life less complicated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards