Chit Chat
Options

NWR: And that is why we can't have nice things

as I type H is out walking in a muddy field in the dark trying to find his drone helicopter. After asking for one of the small helicopters for Christmas he then decided he needed a big, expensive one. He ordered it about a month ago to the tune of $800 (that did not go over well, though he used gift cards for most) and it arrived today. He went out after dinner to fly it some more out back even though it was almost completely dark and it is super windy out. After way too long I got up to look and he's no where to be seen. Keep checking and finally comes in looming frozen and pissed/upset. Sure enough the wind caught it and it is somewhere in the mud in the field behind our house.  He'd assured me before that even if it crashed you can find it from a buzzing sound but evidently it isn't very loud. He's back to searching with a flashlight but not a lot of hope. Not sure if it will survive the night, especially since I think it could rain more tonight. 

I feel eel bad for him since he was so excited but also like wtf dude you knew it was dumb to take it out tonight in 20mph wind. I dread him not finding it and then to replace it will be $800 (no more gift cards). We keep our money separate but still would annoy me

Have you ever done anything like this? Broke something right after you got it or wrecked a car right after buying it? 

Re: NWR: And that is why we can't have nice things

• Options
    Well only a $100 one, but something similar happened with DH and his brand new helicopter.  We lived in a city and it ended up on the roof of a business.   That was 2.5 years ago.  I imagine it's still there.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    Well only a $100 one, but something similar happened with DH and his brand new helicopter.  We lived in a city and it ended up on the roof of a business.   That was 2.5 years ago.  I imagine it's still there.
    His Christmas one ended up on our roof day 1 too but at least we could get it down. Did your DH ever get a new one?
  • Options
    This sounds like something my husband would do.

I got a new car a couple of years ago and promptly hit my mom's house with it. I was swinging out to pull into the garage and over-swung. It scraped the paint off part of the front bumper all the way down to the metal. Not too long after that, when backing out of the same garage, my passenger side-view mirror caught my dad's tool box and pulled it off the table it was sitting on. I got a nice, big red scratch all down the side of my silver car.

In this same car I have also backed into the concrete part around a light pole, gotten a dent on the side from someone at work, and last week I scraped the side of the car on a pole in our work parking lot (which is extremely difficult to navigate FWIW).

I've had 2 cars before this and never did this much damage. I have never in my life owned a new car and I never will again. I swear it's bad luck!

• Options
    I scratched up a brand new couch moving it into my condo. That sucked the big one as then I had to pay for a guy to come and repair the rip. I hadn't even sat on it yet!
  • Options
    FI has bought multiple tech gadgets (tablets, laptops, etc) and made stupid mistakes where the broke immediately afterwards. My favorite was a laptop he bought, used all evening, and then set on the floor beside him when he fell asleep. In the morning, not a day after buying the thing, he woke up and stepped right on it. 

Womp, womp. 

I also have a nice china and crystal collection from my grandmother and an uncle, but I'm terrified of bringing them to our house. FI breaks plates all the time, and the worst offense so far was a favorite glass Christmas ornament of mine he accidentally dropped (and it then shattered). I forgave him, of course, because he didn't mean to -- but it has built up a sense of fear of owning nice, delicate items. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I've been through three replacement iPhone screens. FW got me a Lifeproof case for my birthday.
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    lyndausvi said:
    His Christmas one ended up on our roof day 1 too but at least we could get it down. Did your DH ever get a new one?
    nope.   I wouldn't "let" him.   Actually I have no control over his spending, but I made it clear it wasn't money well spent if he did.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    kvruns said:
    lyndausvi said:
    nope.   I wouldn't "let" him.   Actually I have no control over his spending, but I made it clear it wasn't money well spent if he did.
    That's what I am afraid of here bc he knows I was not cool with the first one but yet he's bought all these accessories and stuff so I'm sure he would get another
  • Options
    Fingers crossed he finds it!

@thefanciestbeckler I have a similar story to yours! I bought a VW Beetle when I was in college - it was the first nice car that I owned and I had wanted one since I was a little kid. 24 hours of owning it and I scraped the bottom of the door on the passenger's side against a high curb. I was so pissed at myself. I also hit the porch of the house that my then-BF lived in and popped a hole in the front bumper, side swiped a basketball hoop (metal poll) and scraped up the whole driver's side of my car and for the finale, totaled it after only a year and a half of owning it. I had never before and never since had such bad luck with a car. 
  • Options
    @cupcait927 lol that makes me feel better about myself! I am a good driver- no tickets, no actual wrecks, etc. but I can't seem to get it together with this car!

• Options
    So - got my license in June, bought my first car in August, got into an accident and totaled it in November.  That was a fun year.

• Options
    ThxSugarThxSugar member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    FH is on his 3rd drone. Luckily he prefers the "cheap" 60$ ones from Frys. They are pretty hardcore actually. He had this one on the roof the first flight but was able to get it down. He and his buddies crash that thing all over the place, lol. We got his nephew the exact same model for x.mas and it was immediately in a tree. Still works great though.

Edited to fix word
  • Options
    ThxSugar said:
    FH is on his 3rd drone. Luckily he prefers the "cheap" 60$ ones from Frys. They are pretty hardcore actually. He had this one on the roof the first flight but was able to get it down. He and his buddies crash that thing all over the place, lol. We got his nephew the exact same model for x.mas and it was immediately in a tree. Still works great though.

Edited to fix word

his small $40 one I got him at Christmas has survived and even landed in the field but it was much closer to the property. I guess this one is just so far out he has no idea where
  • Options
    I'd be pissed if my husband wanted to spend what now amounts to well over $1000 on toys.   Then again, we still have his parents' old futon and my 12 year old couch as furniture in our living room.   So if he opted for something that's a toy over this I'd be really upset.   Like - enjoy this because it's your money and that's your birthday and Christmas gift for years pissed.
  • Options

I got my H a $40 remote control helicopter for Xmas one year.  It lasted two days, lol.  We played with it inside the house after he opened it.  Our most fun was hovering it right over our cat...JUST high enough she couldn't swat it down.

When we went to bed that night, he had put it on the coffee table.  And our cat got her revenge.  The next morning, we found it mangled on the floor.  The tail had been chewed in half.  And the rotors were covered in little bite marks.

On cars, I briefly owned a bright red Kia Sportage.  I bought it used.  I soon named it the "Devil Car".  I just had so much bad luck in it.  Including having a small child fall out of the backseat from the car in front of me, right in front of me!, when I was going 25 on a major road.  Thankfully, thankfully, thankfully I was able to swerve in time.  But of all the crazy, bizarre things to have happen.

Then, 5 months after I bought it, it got totaled in an accident.  And I had just spent $900 changing the timing belt, the DAY BEFORE.  Arrrgghhh!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FI's cousin bought one of those fancy computers that you buy all the parts for and build yourself, and I guess he built it wrong. He could never get it turned on, and gave it to FI to play with. FI had it up and running in like 10 minutes, apparently something was plugged in wrong.

Well when he first told me his cousin gave it to me i completely disagreed. We are so effing cluttered we are one more piece of junk away from a Hoarders episode. I told him to wait until we got another desk, cleared out our bedroom to either put it in here, or designate a spot in the living room. But no. he picked it up anyways, and now I have a $2000 computer sitting on the floor that my toddler likes to play pretend with. Its gonna break and then I have to listen to his moping to a chorus of "I told you so"

Also, for Christmas my mother made FI a custom/personalized corn-hole set, as we often have a lot of BBQ's for our neighborhood and love to play. I told him he has to work the bags a little bit before we can play, so the bags don't bust open. He got really excited that we had warm weather last week, got a couple guys over for beer and corn-hole and every.single.bag.busted. 

• Options

A few years ago, H and I bought a Vitamix (like $400). It was a big purchase for us. I was making a smoothie after we'd had it like a month and it just wasn't blending properly. I kept jamming the poker thingy into the hole in the lid harder and harder and then I heard a snap. My dumbass had left the small inner lid thing inside the jar. So I was jamming this piece of hard plastic into the blades and it finally snapped the thing that makes the blades turn. I felt sick. It has a five year warranty and thankfully they fixed it for free.

When I bought my first new car, I got into an accident when it still had less than 1,000 miles on it. I guess the accident was technically my fault (I disagree) but it still pissed me right off.  

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    H bought a tiny helicopter a few years ago. It was like $60 I think. I was pretty annoyed. Money was tight, but he just had to have it and talked about it for weeks wanting to get one and finally did. He still has it and it works and he flies it on occasion. It's pretty tough. Still, why did he need to have one right then. It's just a toy. 
  • Options
    Somebody in our community got their child a drone for Christmas. Christmas Day evening there was a post on our community FB page asking if anyone had seen it. Just last week another post was made about finding a drone in a field! Turns out to be the same drone! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards