Chit Chat
Options

Allergic Reactions

So for the past 3 weeks I've been having random allergic reactions to who knows.  The allergist wasn't much help aside from taking Benedryl and Zyrtec, which I politely declined because I need to be coherent in the middle of the night and Benedryl will dry me up.  They do want me to come back for a skin test (they couldn't do it the day I went because I had taken a Benedryl 3 days before).

My reactions are never the same.  They can range from swollen lips, to hives, to just the itches.  Its been crazy and nothing in my life or daily routine has changed.

They don't think it's food related, most likely environmental.  The allergist did say that after pregnancy, allergies can arise.

I'm just dumbfounded since the reactions are never the same and are sporadic.
Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Allergic Reactions

• Options
    Have you tried writing down your diet to see if there could be issues tied to it?   We learned that while gluten isn't a big issue for DH, things like whole wheat pasta will irritate him.

I know several people who had issues during and after pregnancy.   Hugs.    
  • Options

I had the same issues after my chemo. My allergies blew up and went wild. I went to an allergist and had the skin test. The only outcome is that I'm on 4 different meds- zyrtec, singulair, astelin (nose spray) and an inhaler. I was told I can take zyrtec in the morning and night when the flare ups are bad. I was also told to stop taking the meds when I feel relief. That is so my body can clear the meds out of my system and they'll keep working when I do flare up.

Hope you can get some relief soon!

• Options
    Pay attention to the products you are using/clothes you are wearing.. I know it seems extreme but I know several people who have these crazy allergies to products. Are you experiencing symptoms when you wear a particular sweater (it could be the dye or the material).... What about when you use chapstick or lotion? These are obviously just examples, but something to keep in mind. I hope it goes away soon!
  • Options
    I've thought about detergent.  I recently purchased a new one but I honestly can't remember if we were using it when the reactions started (I don't think I was).
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Go for the scratch test! Allergies can arise at any point, especially after pregnancy.
    Example: my mum's step dad use to love strawberries. One night he had strawberry ice cream and his throat started to close up. He became allergic to them!

Scratch test is best, but I use claritin or reactin for day-to-day issues, but i keep lanacain in my medicine cabinet for hives or rashes.
  • Options
    ohmrs2014 said:
    I've thought about detergent.  I recently purchased a new one but I honestly can't remember if we were using it when the reactions started (I don't think I was).
    Several years ago, I suddenly, like overnight, developed an allergy to fragrances in detergents and other products.  I can only use Free & Clear detergents & fabric softeners otherwise I get rash.  And most perfumes set me off in sneezing fits.   I actually have to make DH buy laundry stuff because I can't go down that aisle at the store.

• Options
    I had something like this happen at a time in my life when I was super stressed.  I think the root of it was a combo of stress and exposure to pet dander, but I never really found out for sure.  It was really annoying at the time though. 

• Options
    I would encourage you to keep a food/activity/clothing diary. It is a lot of work but do it for a month and you may reveal a pattern. Activity is important because you could be allergic to a certain environmental item that is not food or clothing (i.e. you cycle and have been using a certain type of chain grease etc). Also, lots of people have allergies that are based on too much of a good thing so it could be that you have a sensitivity to x food. If you were to eat a few xs ... no big deal ... but if you have lots of x products in a few days you might break out. Hope you find answers. Having food allergies, I can appreciate that allergies are not fun.
  • Options
    Check your house mold, I am highly allergic to mold and it tends to go crazy this time of year.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards