Wedding Woes
Options

Cleaning up a Paper Fiasco

My husband and I did the catholic marriage prep, the Nupitual Mass, and our families gathered it was a lovely event.  The priest truly took great care with everything.  Wonderful start to our lives together.  I used the copy of the certificate to do all of the name changing within months of our ceremony.  But 36 years later we needed a certified copy of our certificate from the state for foreign taxes. I ordered a copy - after 2 weeks we get a certified letter from the State informing us that there is no record of these two people ever being married.   After exhausting all of the avenues, we are at the point of buying a license, having a very small civil ceremony and moving forward.   How do we word the invitation?  Our siblings, our children are in loop.....and laughing.  Lots of good natured teasing.....

Re: Cleaning up a Paper Fiasco

• Options
    My husband and I did the catholic marriage prep, the Nupitual Mass, and our families gathered it was a lovely event.  The priest truly took great care with everything.  Wonderful start to our lives together.  I used the copy of the certificate to do all of the name changing within months of our ceremony.  But 36 years later we needed a certified copy of our certificate from the state for foreign taxes. I ordered a copy - after 2 weeks we get a certified letter from the State informing us that there is no record of these two people ever being married.   After exhausting all of the avenues, we are at the point of buying a license, having a very small civil ceremony and moving forward.   How do we word the invitation?  Our siblings, our children are in loop.....and laughing.  Lots of good natured teasing.....
    Did the priest not file the certificate with the state? How were you legally allowed to change your name and file taxes jointly if you weren't legally married? 

Definitely agree with PP - you two need to get a lawyer involved.
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree with others that you should get a lawyer.  It definitely sounds like there could be bigger issues that could arise from it.

But, to answer your original questions, if you do go the route of a new civil ceremony, I'd probably just play it like it's a vow renewal. In reality, that's what it is, just with the added legal side to it, since you said vows to each other 36 years ago.

• Options

Another vote for a GREAT attorney first and above all else!!!  Look through your paperwork from way back when - do you have a copy there and the record just got lost?  The legal end of things could get really messy really quickly so before even thinking of the laugh it off civil ceremony, make sure you've got an attorney advising you if that's the proper step.  Who knows, you may have tax advantages to not be married LOL..  But really, attorney first!!!!

Then, when it comes to invites, same as you would any other invite - and yes, you can have some fun with it...

"Mr. & Mrs.

who were sacramentally married

(date)

at

St. Patrick's Cathedral,

along with their children

cordially invite you to their civil ceremony

date

time

address

reception to follow at"

• Options
    Ladies. Thank you for your advise!  Yes the lawyer step has already happened.  We live in Texas and we have presented ourselves publicly and on legal documents as husband and wife on more than 3 occasions. We were married legally here after the first parent teacher conference!   In Texas, we have an " informal" marriage which is legal here.  Our 6 children are now all adults - so no one really cared.  What prompted the change is the coming  move to Flordia which does not have the same laws.  In Louisiana the copy of the church certificate which is not a legal record was enough to change my name then- now probably not.  We have worked with the church to get it recognized, but no sale.  The priest and the best man have both passed away - so this is where we are. It has been a frustrating ride.   But let it be a cautionary tale to others.....make sure you get that certified copy back!!
  • Options
    Given that you have all your other bases covered, I'll just address your first question. ;)

Since everyone's already in the loop, I would personally throw formality out the window and have a more humorous invitation to set the tone. I think something a little tongue in cheek (like: "Vow renewal? Wedding? Help us figure it!") would go over well, whereas some people may side eye it if you took yourselves too seriously when calling it a wedding.

Then again, you've been married long enough that just treating it as a vow renewal wouldn't be out of place at all if you want to make it more romantic.

I think it depends on the tone you want to set, and the kind of celebration you're looking forward to.
  • Options
    Ladies. Thank you for your advise!  Yes the lawyer step has already happened.  We live in Texas and we have presented ourselves publicly and on legal documents as husband and wife on more than 3 occasions. We were married legally here after the first parent teacher conference!   In Texas, we have an " informal" marriage which is legal here.  Our 6 children are now all adults - so no one really cared.  What prompted the change is the coming  move to Flordia which does not have the same laws.  In Louisiana the copy of the church certificate which is not a legal record was enough to change my name then- now probably not.  We have worked with the church to get it recognized, but no sale.  The priest and the best man have both passed away - so this is where we are. It has been a frustrating ride.   But let it be a cautionary tale to others.....make sure you get that certified copy back!!
    Just curious, when say that you have been working with the church, but no sale, does that mean that in the eyes of the church you aren't married. I would think the church where you were married would have a record of the marriage even if the courthouse doesn't. Good luck with everything - what a nightmare.
  • Options
    It would be interesting to see if the marriage was recorded in the parish of your baptism which would be your official sacramental record. Because if it wasn't there either, that would mean your priest would have failed to send that paperwork also and it wasn't just a case of something getting lost in the mail.
  • Options
    I'm confused.  At the time of your original wedding, did you not go to the courthouse and obtain a marriage license to be signed by your witnesses, your priest and yourselves at the mass?  Regardless of whether the priest "took great care of everything" it was your responsibility to apply for and get a marriage license.
  • Options
    MNNEBride said:
    I'm confused.  At the time of your original wedding, did you not go to the courthouse and obtain a marriage license to be signed by your witnesses, your priest and yourselves at the mass?  Regardless of whether the priest "took great care of everything" it was your responsibility to apply for and get a marriage license.

Ever heard of a "shotgun wedding" ...  Time was that the trip to the courthouse wasn't exactly necessary... 

If the church is stonewalling OP - go up the ladder!!!  Take it direct to the Bishop!  And if you don't get action from the Bishop, then on to the Arch Bishop...  The people that handle Cannan Law for the diocese may be a good resource in helping you get this all sorted through.  Don't be afraid to go up the chain if the parish is being a PITA...  What about MOH?  Is she still available? or GM???

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards