Chit Chat

Furniture

H and I need a new couch. Our current couch is about six or seven years old and definitely showing its wear. We paid about $900 for it at The Room Place (Harlem Furniture).

We want a better quality couch this time. We don't want it to have big dips where our big asses typically sit after like two years.

I know there's different chains all over the country so in Chicago I might not have the store you recommend, but what stores/brands would you recommend for a good, quality couch?

H wants to spend like 7K on a sectional at La-Z-Boy and I think dude is out of his mind.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: Furniture

• When we moved back to the states we got a cheap couch from Room-to-go.     It sucked and we replaced it within 3 years.

We were going to go with Lazy-Boy,but ended up with a Pottery Barn sectional.  It cost over $5k.  Totally worth the cost.   3 years later it's still going strong.  

I can't say the Lazy-Boy wouldn't be worth the cost, we just found we liked the Pottery Barn a little better and it was on sale, so that helped sway our decision.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We'll look at pottery barn too - thanks! I'm willing to consider lazyboy but I want to at least shop around and check out my other options before spending that much damn money.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • We got our couch and chair at a furniture warehouse but the brand is Corinthians. We've had it for over a year and it still looks brand new and we have 3 dogs and DH and I have specific seats on each piece of furniture. Most comfortable piece of furniture I've ever sat on. Total both were $1500 and we got an ottoman. 

I will say, the key to keep furniture nice is to vacuum it regularly (even if you don't have pets) and flip the cushions. One of the things I liked about ours is that all the cushions (even the ones that are for your back) can be moved, they aren't attached. I usually vacuum quickly once a week and flip them once a month.

• We have a sectional from Raymour & Flanigan (not sure if that is a regional chain) that's held up really well. I also just ordered all new furniture from Ethan Allen. 
  • We have a sectional from Raymour & Flanigan (not sure if that is a regional chain) that's held up really well. I also just ordered all new furniture from Ethan Allen. 
    My sister has a sectional from Raymour & Flanigan for her family room (aka the 3 teen's room).  It's held up really well.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • When we moved into our house we needed lots of furniture!  We went to the Dump and purchased a sofa, love seat, recliner, queen size bedroom set including mattress, and a large rug for our bedroom and spend about $4k total.  The Dump can be hit or miss with their prices and selection since they buy close out merchandise, but their stuff is usually quality pieces.  If you have one near you, I recommend at least going to take a look.

Besides all that, its always great to see the look on people's faces when they ask you where you got your couch and you say "The Dump", until they remember the furniture store.

• I would check out West elm and pottery barn. If you are willing to wait a bit, they generally have big furniture sales every few months. We got a sectional from west elm that was 25% and free delivery.

But beware that west elm and pottery barn consider their furniture custom made. So it takes 6-10 weeks and cant be returned.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We got our couch and loveseat from Macy's. It's a leather set and was something like $3-4K. It's been close to 5 years, and they still look great, even with 2 cats. (Except the hole that my SIL's idiot dog made with her idiot claws because my idiot SIL doesn't care about anyone else's property.) 
  • Oh good, this thread is timely. We're in need of a new couch too. I was scouting sofa beds and saw some at Crate and Barrel that were between $1500-and $2k, but that's more than I'd like to spend, personally. 
    I'm wondering if you can get something of decent quality for less than $1k.

• KatWAG said:

I would check out West elm and pottery barn. If you are willing to wait a bit, they generally have big furniture sales every few months. We got a sectional from west elm that was 25% and free delivery.

But beware that west elm and pottery barn consider their furniture custom made. So it takes 6-10 weeks and cant be returned.

I second the Pottery Barn suggestion. Right now they've got sofas and sectionals on sale up to 30%. 
  • I know it's pretty much the Walmart of furniture, but our Ashley stuff has held up great, and was a good middle price point for us.
  • edited March 2016
    Our large sectional is Person - ordered through a decorator and was around $10K. I think Pottery Barns furniture is nice. DD and SIL have a sofa that looks great - don't know how old it is because it was SIL's. I personally think you get what you pay for with furniture - within reason. I agree with PP about cushions. Get the ones that aren't attached. Ours are attached on the back and I wish they weren't. Of course, when I bought it I was trying to prevent kids from having pillow fights LOL! We bought a Flexsteel hide a bed 28 years ago and have had it reupholstered twice (decor reasons) and it is a great sofa. It has a very sturdy frame.
  • Lol wow I'm shocked at what people are paying for furniture.  H and I are just poor I guess, haha.  We paid $900 for BOTH the sofa and loveseat, and it's held up pretty well over the last 2.5 years, with a dog and a toddler.  I will say the cushions are pretty sunken in, but I'm willing to live with that for the price.  But hey, if you can afford the really pricey stuff, go for it.  Ethan Allen, Pottery Barn, and even Z Gallerie have some gorgeous stuff.

SaveSave
  • DarthV8rDarthV8r member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    This thread is perfect for me.  My kitchen, family room, and living room are empty.  I am shopping around  right now.  
  • I have had really good luck at Steinhafels.  The last pair of couches I purchased was from Walter E. Smithe.  I was able to purchase 2 full sized couches for @ $800 each, with the ability to customize fabric and color.  My husband and I walked through Value Furniture for the first time a few weeks ago.  We were looking for furniture on our daughter/SIL's behalf, and the price point was good for their budget.  We did not sit on any of the stuff, but the selection was good and so were the prices. 

@ShesSoCold, I don't know if you are in the city or the burbs, but our "go to" place is a family owned furniture store called Rudolph's in Grayslake. They sell quality furniture at good prices, and their customer service is great.  If you are a member, Costco sells some really nice pieces as well, but it is hit and miss in terms of selection.
  • We bought lazyboy (couch/sofa) for our living room.  I love the recliners so much and will never buy another couch without it!   Our family room couch/sofa is New England purchased at a local furniture store.  It's held up well, but doesn't have recliners (we bought before the lazyboy set!).  Needless to say, we use that room less.
  • A lot of our furniture is from Furniture Row (don't know if you have one around you). I've found it to be a good middle ground, much better than an Ashleys or Room to Go, but not so expensive as Bassett. Our bedroom set, dining room set, and living room set are all from there. The only thing I'm not super happy with is our sofa. It is a big sectional and I think we only spent about $1,700 on it: http://www.furniturerow.com/fr/Sofa-Mart/Southport-3-Pc.-Sectional/prod1430048/12498/#.VuGbe1srJhE

We've had the couch maybe a year and a half and the fabric is fine but the cushions are dying. They have lost their shape and are going to have to be re-stuffed. I love the shape of the couch and it can fit a lot of people, but it just hasn't held up. 
  • It was awhile back, but I purchased a small sectional sofa in 2006 from Roy's in Lincoln Park, and it held up very well.  The brand itself was Klaussner, and it was a custom order.  It was around $1500 at the time, I'm sure it'd be a bit more now.  It held up so well, in fact, that I was able to sell it for $750 when I moved out of state in 2010... which is a pretty good turnaround for used furniture.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • A lot of our furniture is from Furniture Row (don't know if you have one around you). I've found it to be a good middle ground, much better than an Ashleys or Room to Go, but not so expensive as Bassett. Our bedroom set, dining room set, and living room set are all from there. The only thing I'm not super happy with is our sofa. It is a big sectional and I think we only spent about $1,700 on it: http://www.furniturerow.com/fr/Sofa-Mart/Southport-3-Pc.-Sectional/prod1430048/12498/#.VuGbe1srJhE

We've had the couch maybe a year and a half and the fabric is fine but the cushions are dying. They have lost their shape and are going to have to be re-stuffed. I love the shape of the couch and it can fit a lot of people, but it just hasn't held up. 
    Well, so random, but I just called the store and found out that the sofa is covered by a 2 year warranty and they are going to send us all new stuffing for the sad looking cushions for free. So... better customer service than I thought at that store. 

Well, so random, but I just called the store and found out that the sofa is covered by a 2 year warranty and they are going to send us all new stuffing for the sad looking cushions for free. So... better customer service than I thought at that store. 
    This is good information. DH and I bought our furniture from a factory direct store about 8 months ago and the couch is literally falling apart. We have a Furniture Row in our area, so we will have to go check that out!

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    I have also used Furniture Row for buying the reclining sofa in our family room.  Their scratch and dent area was a goldmine for me when I first moved in to town!  I bought a whole queen bedroom set out of scratch and dent for less than $600.  My sister didn't believe me.
    Their furniture is made in China.  It is not solid wood, but is usually a wood laminate over heavy plywood.  Solid, hardwood furniture is very expensive and hard to find these days.

We bought this powered recliner set about a year and a half ago.  Still like it.  Franklin furniture is a good label, too.

http://www.furniturerow.com/fr/Sofa-Mart/Bonanza-Sofa/prod1430072/12495+4294962747/#.VuJQneZPQcM

http://franklincorp.com/products/reclining-sofas/

I bought a Flexsteel sofa in 1974 for my first apartment.  I had it recovered once, which cost more than I originally paid for it.  Left it behind in the big move 8 years ago, and the springs were still in wonderful shape.  Not the upholstery - damn cat!  What I am saying is that wood furniture will stay with you for a very long time.  Upholstered furniture usually needs to be replaced every 8 years, due to dirt and wear.  We are tall, big people and cannot handle furniture that is too soft or too low.
    Honestly, most of my home is furnished with "antiques" that were scavenged from garage sales when I first got married 40 years ago.  Now, I am stuck with them.  They now have value.  Solid cherry wood drop leaf table and five chairs with a bad finish?  Yes, I know I should re-do the finish.  Victorian cabinet and server in walnut with dog teeth marks on legs?  Stuck.
    Oh, and the Louis XV chair that I reupholstered - rescued from the neighbor's trash.  The table lamp, also from neighbor's trash.  I could go on.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @CMGragain
     I hear you! I have an vintage, solid wood drop leaf table that I got from my parents' neighbor's estate sale for free. My dad and I refinished it together and it gleams. But, it's not DH's style at all (heck, it's not even my style), and after 10 years and a move in a month, it's gotta go. I can't bear to put it out to the "alley economy" and will be finding a resale shop or donating it to Salvation Army or Goodwill. 

I definitely try to afford solid wood furniture when I can. 

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited March 2016

I bought mine last year from furniture.com.  the piece is lovely and goes so well with my living room.  However, I may be to heavy for it, because it's caving in on my favorite spot only. oooops.   I only paid $700ish and some change for it, but I hope it lasts a few more years.

Anyway, that's not recommended :)

Also, going to "The Dump" Isn't worth it.  We found that to be VERY over priced, which is opposite of what they boast.  I don't know if there's one in Chicago, but it's not worth the drive for the one near me.

edit: @oliveoilsMom had success there, and I've only been once, but my experience was a "miss" last year.

• CMGragain said:
    I have also used Furniture Row for buying the reclining sofa in our family room.  Their scratch and dent area was a goldmine for me when I first moved in to town!  I bought a whole queen bedroom set out of scratch and dent for less than $600.  My sister didn't believe me.
    Their furniture is made in China.  It is not solid wood, but is usually a wood laminate over heavy plywood.  Solid, hardwood furniture is very expensive and hard to find these days.

We bought this powered recliner set about a year and a half ago.  Still like it.  Franklin furniture is a good label, too.

http://www.furniturerow.com/fr/Sofa-Mart/Bonanza-Sofa/prod1430072/12495+4294962747/#.VuJQneZPQcM

http://franklincorp.com/products/reclining-sofas/

I bought a Flexsteel sofa in 1974 for my first apartment.  I had it recovered once, which cost more than I originally paid for it.  Left it behind in the big move 8 years ago, and the springs were still in wonderful shape.  Not the upholstery - damn cat!  What I am saying is that wood furniture will stay with you for a very long time.  Upholstered furniture usually needs to be replaced every 8 years, due to dirt and wear.  We are tall, big people and cannot handle furniture that is too soft or too low.
    Honestly, most of my home is furnished with "antiques" that were scavenged from garage sales when I first got married 40 years ago.  Now, I am stuck with them.  They now have value.  Solid cherry wood drop leaf table and five chairs with a bad finish?  Yes, I know I should re-do the finish.  Victorian cabinet and server in walnut with dog teeth marks on legs?  Stuck.
    Oh, and the Louis XV chair that I reupholstered - rescued from the neighbor's trash.  The table lamp, also from neighbor's trash.  I could go on.

Some of their stuff is solid wood - we have this dining room table: http://www.furniturerow.com/fr/Oak-Express/Bellaire-Dining-Table/prod1760118/12463/#.VuLdXlsrJhE

Which, as H can attest when trying to move it, is solid Ash. There is definitely a range of quality there and at most places though. That table is definitely a better quality piece than our sofa. 
  • Thanks everyone!! We'll take a look at some of these places. Our current couch has the attached cushions (I did that on purpose because when my mom's couches got old, the cushions would slide out from under you after like one minute of sitting down) but the ability to clean and fluff is more important that the falling out factor.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited March 2016
    @badbnagdway , the table legs are solid ash, but your table top is veneered.  Here is the site info:  "The Bellaire Table is built from solid ash with wire brushed elm veneers on the tabletops."  This is really an advantage because plywood veneered table tops will not warp as easily as solid wood, and plywood is heavier.  My cherry table is about 70 years old, and it is warped and cracked.  It would have been better to have been a veneered finish.  This is why pianos are always made with veneers.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We recently bought a new couch from Stanton Furniture. They are a Portland Oregon based company and make all of their furniture in the US. it was totally customizable and we got a beautiful midnight blue with down cushions. They have a lifetime warranty on the frame and a limited warranty on the cushions. It hasn't broken down at all in the year we have had it and my dad has even spent many nights sleeping on it (he weighs about 215).

We paid $1300 for both the couch and ottoman.

http://stantonfurniture.com/

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards