Chit Chat
Options

Who knew FI cared about these details, haha!

Turns out he is much more traditional than I thought!

Never in a million years did I think he'd care what color dress I plan to wear! I mentioned a dress that I liked and said I was considering buying it in black. For whatever reason, he thought I was talking about wedding dresses, so I knew I had to run with it. We tease and mess with each other all the time, and I never had any intention of getting a black dress anyway. I stopped when I realized he was genuinely upset, but he went as far as to beg his sister not to let me get a black dress when I brought her shopping. (She told him he was being an idiot and that I was having fun messing with him because he got so worked up over it.)

Based on the above, I should have known he'd care about bridesmaid dresses, but when it came out that I told them to buy a dress in a dark red within their budget and wear whatever shoes they felt comfortable in, he started lamenting about how pictures would look weird if the dresses weren't all the same exact color. Not my hill to die on, and the wedding party wanted more direction so I said ok, I'll pick color and designer if it will make things easier for you girls. Funny thing is, FI is colorblind.

Anyone else going through something similar? I'd probably feel badly about how much amusement this brings me, but he always pays me back and completely asks for it! 

Re: Who knew FI cared about these details, haha!

• Options

Never in a million years did I think he'd care what color dress I plan to wear! I mentioned a dress that I liked and said I was considering buying it in black. For whatever reason, he thought I was talking about wedding dresses, so I knew I had to run with it. We tease and mess with each other all the time, and I never had any intention of getting a black dress anyway. I stopped when I realized he was genuinely upset, but he went as far as to beg his sister not to let me get a black dress when I brought her shopping. (She told him he was being an idiot and that I was having fun messing with him because he got so worked up over it.)

Based on the above, I should have known he'd care about bridesmaid dresses, but when it came out that I told them to buy a dress in a dark red within their budget and wear whatever shoes they felt comfortable in, he started lamenting about how pictures would look weird if the dresses weren't all the same exact color. Not my hill to die on, and the wedding party wanted more direction so I said ok, I'll pick color and designer if it will make things easier for you girls. Funny thing is, FI is colorblind.

Anyone else going through something similar? I'd probably feel badly about how much amusement this brings me, but he always pays me back and completely asks for it! 
    I wonder if the color-blindness actually contributed to his concern; if he can't distinguish between shades of red, then he probably assumes they will clash.

My H was very opinionated about our color scheme, which surprised me. I really wanted purple and green, but he was adamant about not having purple. Not a hill to die on, so we went with green and gray. It was lovely.
    my FI and I had this discussion too! I wanted lavender and navy to be the wedding colors and he put his foot down on the lavender. We are going with mint and navy instead.
  • Options
    I will be totally shocked if my FI is in the least bit interested in the dress details....  but, I guess I'll find out... at least now I'll be ready to pull his leg about it.
  • Options
    I will be totally shocked if my FI is in the least bit interested in the dress details....  but, I guess I'll find out... at least now I'll be ready to pull his leg about it.
    This reminded me - I totally thought H would have negative opinions of my dress, but he did not at all! I chose a tea-length dress, and after the fact asked H what he would think if I wore a short dress. He said he did not care (I really thought he would say he preferred a long dress), and when we had our first look I asked what he thought of the short dress. He replied, "That's a short dress? I thought you meant SHORT short." Turns out his idea of "short" meant mini-skirt length.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My H hated purple for the wedding too. I like a deep royal purple and he was not a fan. We went with navy instead. 
  • Options
    DH cared too!  He wanted his favorite shade of blue (royal more than navy).  He also had pretty set options about food and invitations, but could have cared less about flowers and favors.
    Anniversary

• Options

He replied, "That's a short dress? I thought you meant SHORT short." Turns out his idea of "short" meant mini-skirt length.
    omg...that's sooooo funny - i will have to remember that one!
  • Options
    H was surprisingly concerned about music. I went to a bunch of effort to find classical alternatives to the traditional music. When I started to play them for him, he was very confused why we weren't going with the traditional music. Apparently he assumed since we were doing a bunch of non-traditional things in the ceremony we would do traditional music. It wasn't a big deal, but it was a surprise. I did end up picking something to replace "Here Comes the Bride" because I don't like that song. But other than that we went super traditional.
  • Options

He replied, "That's a short dress? I thought you meant SHORT short." Turns out his idea of "short" meant mini-skirt length.
    omg...that's sooooo funny - i will have to remember that one!
    Same. I had a short dress and I kept giving my H a fair warning. He kept saying "as long as you like it, doesn't matter" When he saw me he kept saying how great I looked, and it would have been weird if I wore a long dress.
    Plus, my shoes were more than my dress ..... so I had to show them off 
  • Options

I wonder if the color-blindness actually contributed to his concern; if he can't distinguish between shades of red, then he probably assumes they will clash.

My H was very opinionated about our color scheme, which surprised me. I really wanted purple and green, but he was adamant about not having purple. Not a hill to die on, so we went with green and gray. It was lovely.

SITB

It's a combination of his fear of clashing, and his OCD, he likes everything a certain way. I may or may not mess with him a bit about that too haha!
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger LOVE the pic but if that's your new sig pic I would suggest resizing... It is LARGE! :)
  • Options
    @PamBeesly524  thanks and TK keeps reverting back to large ... idk what to do! :(
  • Options
    FH really wants espresso colored table linens. Idk why, but he has mentioned it several times.
  • Options
    I enjoyed reading about your teasing your FI about getting a black wedding dress.  My H really dislikes dress styles where one shoulder has a strap/sleeve and the other shoulder is bare.  So I kept teasing him that was the dress style I was looking for.  But I didn't fool him for a second, lol. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    DH was pretty involved with the wedding planning. Only a few things he was particular about though.

He was VERY particular that he wanted a true boutonniere- a single flower with stem that is meant to be placed through the hole on the lapel (which is most often sewn shut these days on suits). The florist kept asking about greenery and more than one flower and DH kept saying NO NO NO!

He was also very adamant I not say anything about my dress. I think I was talking to a friend in front of him and mentioned my dress was a strapless fit and flare and DH responded with, "Now I totally know what your dress looks like!". Uh huh, do you know how many thousands of strapless fit and flare dresses you could buy? So then I teased him about showing him my hair piece, or my shoes- he didn't want to see any of it prior.
  • Options
    I asked FI when we first started planning what he cared about and he gave me the following list:
    1.  Non religious ceremony
    2.  Not wearing pink
    3.  Honeymoon immediately after
    4.  A bar with at least one cordial

Since, he won his first choice for venue, I had to show him countless photos of the berry purple/ green color scheme before he came along, he insists we spend the night before separated, and we have to write our own vows. His list grew. 
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    My DH only cared that we were getting married as quickly as possible.  He did like the church service, though.
    When he was FOB, he squealed about  the budget, but he was pleased that everything was so well organized.  Yes, he teared up when he saw daughter in her gown and veil.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

FI is usually a go-with-the-flow kind of person, but he had very strong opinions about 4 things:

1) Minimal photography (he hates his picture being taken)

2) Small guest list

3) No dancing

4) No tux (states that when he wears his tux he feels like a penguin)

5) Picture (scenic) on the invites and thank you cards.

Other than that, he is happy to look at stuff with me and will give an opinion if I really push.

I thought he would prefer red as one of our colours (everything he owns where there is a choice of colour is red), but he thought that blues/pinks/purples looked nice for a wedding.

• Options
    I enjoyed reading about your teasing your FI about getting a black wedding dress.  My H really dislikes dress styles where one shoulder has a strap/sleeve and the other shoulder is bare.  So I kept teasing him that was the dress style I was looking for.  But I didn't fool him for a second, lol. 
    SAME! He calls them Tarzan dresses!

• Options
    My FH just wanted to make sure we had Guiness at the reception included in the open bar. That and that the DJ played "Jersey Girl". 
  • Options
    When we got engaged he started with the whole "you're the bride..." thing. His parents were gifting us a lot of money so long story short, things culminated in a fight where I told him he better start voicing real opinions on things because I was not responsible for spending money that wasn't mine. 
    Once he realized he got to voice ideas and opinions, he had a lot. He wanted even sides for the bridal party, he wanted to be announced into the reception, he wanted the journalistic style of photography, he wanted quite a few must-play songs, he wanted the Saturday night dinner/dance reception instead of a Friday/Sunday, or even brunch options that would have saved a lot of money. I could go on. 

• Options
    Mine only cared that we had a lot of alcohol and a good DJ.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    FI has gone on and on about the sides not being equal and how he has to find someone to balance sides. I told him not to put someone in for the sake of being equal and that was all I wanted to hear about it. It's since been brought up a few times, but I told him it's not happening. He didn't want to have a traditional/fancy wedding, so I'm meeting him half way with some rustic elements. I never wanted a huge wedding, but somehow our guest list exploded to 300 people. For some reason though, he has absolutely insisted on having place cards and he won't let it go. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Mine only cared that we had a lot of alcohol and a good DJ.  
    These are the only two things I knew my H would care about... All of his other opinions surprised me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    FI surprised me with a few things as well. 

1) He told me early on he preferred me in a true white gown (but of course, he said that the decision would be up to me since I bought my gown). I told him true white goes better with my skin tone than ivory anyway.

2) When he discovered that there is a difference, he INSISTED on chivari chairs over banquet or folding chairs. 

3) BBQ at the wedding.

4) We stick with traditional wedding rites from the Book of Common Prayer. 

None of these were a hill to die on for me, and I 100% agreed with him about #4, but it's funny what he does and does not care about. His obsession with chivari chairs still cracks me up.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    DH also wanted me in a 'white-ish' gown.  I wanted gold, and ended up with champagne, so he was good with that.  Just no non-bride colours.  

Also, when we saw the venue the day before, he suddenly decided we needed chair covers, so we got those too.  Good thing they were rented right from the venue

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards