Chit Chat

Because I'm new, and I can't sleep.

I made this snazzy lil questionnaire for anyone who's interested....and perhaps a way for us all to get to know each other more.  Cheesy? Yes probably....Fun? You betcha!

How did you meet your SO?

If he/she/you proposed, how'd it go
down?

If you already had your wedding, what etiquette faux pas did you commit? (If you feel like confessing, safe space here)

What was the weirdest gift you received? If you're not married yet, what's the weirdest gift you've ever given?

Where is/was your honeymoon?

Describe your favorite type of cookie:

If if money were not an issue, where in the world do you want to visit and why?

Re: Because I'm new, and I can't sleep.

• edited March 2016

Over the phone. I was in college, he was a Marine stationed close by

down?
    I had gotten into a horrible accident on the freeway. Completely totaled my car, and about 5 others (all my fault, luckily I nor anyone else was injured) DH and I worked together at the time and he was at work...our boss sent her assistant to come get me from the scene of the accident to being me to work, get DH and wait for a rental car. At one point, as I was talking to DH on my way in, he told me "I'm going to make your day 1000% better".  I honest-to-God thought he was going to buy me ice cream or something.  I had no idea what he actually meant.  
    When I got back to our work and we were waiting for the rental car in the parking lot, he got down on his knee and proposed! As soon as he told me he'd make my day better he apparently borrowed our boss's car (DH didn't have his own at the time) went and bought my ring, and was planning to take me to dinner and ask me then, but he couldn't wait so he asked me right there in the parking lot.  It was perfect.

If you already had your wedding, what etiquette faux pas did you commit? (If you feel like confessing, safe space here)
    Registry info in the invites, dollar dance - although for this one I don't completely regret it, because I ended up getting to dance with all 5 of my brothers, and I cherish that memory....

What was the weirdest gift you received? If you're not married yet, what's the weirdest gift you've ever given?
    My mom gave us tennis racquets....which isn't totally weird unless you know the backstory. 
    During toasts and speeches, my mom got in front of everyone at the wedding and announced that she and my dad loved to play tennis together and that was something special they shared, so she wanted to hand off that tradition to DH and me...my parents got divorced when I was 6, and it's pretty well known throughout our family that they do not like each other.  At all.  Still.  And tennis was basically the only thing they ever had in common.  It was sooooo freaking awkward. 

Vegas! 

Chocolate chip.  Preferably uncooked dough. 

tahiti.  Because I'm cold, and I've heard it's warm there 

• How did you meet your SO?
    We met on Plenty of Fish.  We were both so sick of online dating that most of our emails were brutally honest, which is probably partially why it worked.

If he/she/you proposed, how'd it go down?
    We were in Marco Island and on the first night, decided to grab some beers and sit in the dock after dinner.  The dock was on one of the inlets notorious for sharks and suddenly there was a bunch of splashing so I was running up and down the dock trying to find a shark and FI was chasing me, loose ring hanging out in his pocket.  Finally, I ran out of dock and there was a bench I sat on.  When he got down in his knee, I said, wait are you really doing this?  He said, I'm trying!

Trying to avoid them all, thanks to TK.

Probably a perverted white elephant gift at a Dirty Santa party.

After much debate, and also of booking in Jamaica, a travel agent got us into the Excellence in Riveria Cancun, Mexico, with a swim out room!

Home made chocolate chip, from scratch and gooey

Italy/Greece/Turkey - Italy/Greece has always been my dream and Fi's was TurKey, both related to classes in college - Classic Rhetoric for me and I'm not sure which but history for him.

• edited March 2016
    How did you meet your SO? Work. He sat two cubicles away from me.

down? It was very private and simple, just like our wedding.

If you already had your wedding, what etiquette faux pas did you commit? (If you feel like confessing, safe space here). I eloped, so no faux pas here! No one to offend :)

What was the weirdest gift you received? If you're not married yet, what's the weirdest gift you've ever given? N/A

Where is/was your honeymoon? We married and honeymooned in Australia.

Describe your favorite type of cookie: I love warm, soft oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

If if money were not an issue, where in the world do you want to visit and why? With me, time is an issue more than anything else. I've been trying to get to the Maldives FOREVER. We were going to go next year, but now we're thinking of going on a cruise in the South Pacific to view WWII sites. The cruise is 17 nights plus travel time, so that eats up all of my vacation. I may end up saving the Maldives for a big anniversary, like 10 years (we'll be married 4 years this year) Or maybe when my H retires in 4 or so years.

• H and I met through friends (that's the "family" story. the actual story is in the 'met in a bar" thread).

He proposed at our favorite restaurant. He was all nervous and pulled the tablecloth when he got down on his knee and knocked over every glass on the table. It was adorable.

I don't think we did anything etiquettely incorrect. Oh! We did not mail out cancellation announcements or new invitations when we cancelled and rescheduled our wedding. We called everyone.

At my shower, my MIL gave me a pair of earrings that my FIL gave her on their first anniversary. But, they divorced like a year after that and they hate each other. MIL hates me so maybe that was her "I hope you get a divorce" juju.

We road-tripped to Key West and stopped along the way.

Snickerdoodles.

Probably Fiji and places around there.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Here goes:

How did you meet your SO? He was our butcher. I had a crush on him and gave him my phone number in a Christmas card.

down? We got engaged on Christmas day at my mom's house. It was just her, my brother, me and DH. And the dogs. Right there in our PJ's.

If you already had your wedding, what etiquette faux pas did you commit? (If you feel like confessing, safe space here) I can't think of anything, but that doesn't mean there wasn't anything

What was the weirdest gift you received? If you're not married yet, what's the weirdest gift you've ever given? A used crock pot. Bless my little grandma's heart.

Where is/was your honeymoon? We went to St. Kitts and Nevis. Can't wait to go back sometime.

Describe your favorite type of cookie: The Chocolate Chipper from Panera

If if money were not an issue, where in the world do you want to visit and why? Australia and then hop over to New Zealand. No specific reason, I have always wanted to go.

• How did you meet your SO?  DH and I met in kindergarten. We were close friends through school, started dating senior year.

If he/she/you proposed, how'd it go down? DH proposed to me on a bridge on the road his parents live on. We take a lot of walks and that was my favorite place to go. That day happened to be really cold (November) and he asked me to walk with him down to the bride to look at something. I kept refusing to go because it was so cold but finally agreed. We get down there and he got on one knee and asked me. It was so simple and definitely us.

If you already had your wedding, what etiquette faux pas did you commit? (If you feel like confessing, safe space here). I don't think I did. Oh, I didn't really ask my BMs price range for their dresses. When I picked one out, they ended up finding an alternative in their price range (same color and style) instead. I still wish I had asked first.

What was the weirdest gift you received? If you're not married yet, what's the weirdest gift you've ever given? We didn't get anything really weird. We did get a check from my elderly great-uncle dated for 2012.

Where is/was your honeymoon? We went to Ft. Lauderdale.

Describe your favorite type of cookie: Lady fingers. I don't know their exact name but it's kind of a shortbread cookie with pecans and covered in powdered sugar.

If if money were not an issue, where in the world do you want to visit and why? DH and I really want to do a cross country road trip. We would obviously need time off work and money to stay in a nice hotel and do all the things we want to do.

• JaxInBlueJaxInBlue member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    How did you meet your SO? DH and I met at work.  It was a college job for both of us (he had just finished graduate work, I was coming back for my last semester of undergraduate work after a study away semester) and I was horrid to him during the first shift we worked together.  We had our first date after about three months of working together and have been pretty inseparable since then.

If he/she/you proposed, how'd it go down? He proposed at home.  He arranged a little game for me to play and worked in the proposal.  It was just us and our furbabies, which was perfect for us.

If you already had your wedding, what etiquette faux pas did you commit? (If you feel like confessing, safe space here). We definitely had a few but I feel like they all into the "harmless" category.  We used clear labels on our invitation envelopes.  Our chairs at the reception were "better" but we didn't know that ahead of time since we didn't see the venue set up until day of.  We had open bar but beer/wine only so we used one of those "Please enjoy" signs as the rest of the bar wouldn't be broken down by the venue.  Because of this, some people may have paid for drinks that weren't included.  With hindsight, I would have advocated more strongly to change that set up.      

What was the weirdest gift you received? If you're not married yet, what's the weirdest gift you've ever given? We got a single towel, hand towel, and wash cloth.  It was a nice set, so I just went to the store and bought it a friend.

Where is/was your honeymoon? We didn't technically take one.  We traveled back to our hometown for our wedding and used a lot of our vacation time for that travel.  Since then, we've taken a week-long Disney trip, spent 10 days in Hawaii (a sort-of babymoon) and made a trip to NYC to see the Mets play. 

Describe your favorite type of cookie: Oatmeal chocolate chip with walnuts.  Eaten while gooey.

If if money were not an issue, where in the world do you want to visit and why? I would love to do a multi-country trip through Central and South America.  I had a degree in Latin American studies, and I've never been.  I'd want to see Mexico, Costa Rica, Colombia, Brazil, and Chile at a minimum, plus Paraguay and Venezuela because I did some in-depth study on those countries.

Anniversary

• I always like these.

How did you meet your SO? Match.com

down? He proposed while we were on vacation in London, right by the Tower Bridge. 

If you already had your wedding, what etiquette faux pas did you commit? (If you feel like confessing, safe space here) DH replaced a groomsman after a big falling-out two weeks before our wedding. Ugh. He's never spoken to that guy since then, but all is still well with the replacement. They seemed happy to step in. 

What was the weirdest gift you received? If you're not married yet, what's the weirdest gift you've ever given? No weird gifts received (or given, I hope.)

Where is/was your honeymoon? Lake Como, Italy. Highly recommend!

Describe your favorite type of cookie: Good ole-fashioned chocolate chip. The soft kind.

If if money were not an issue, where in the world do you want to visit and why? There are way too many places to list, so I'll just say that Santorini Greece is still on top of my must-do list. 

• How did you meet your SO?  On a local dating site called Lovelab.

If he/she/you proposed, how'd it go down?  While we were snowboarding on Mt. Hood. He told me to follow him on a run, because he wanted to take some panoramic photos. When I turned around, he was down on his knees (both knees, since he was strapped to his board). Afterwards we said fuck it to more snowboarding and went and got a beer.

If you already had your wedding, what etiquette faux pas did you commit? (If you feel like confessing, safe space here). H added his cousin as a groomsmen a few weeks after asking the other GMs. But it was only because he realized he should have asked him to begin with, and felt bad about not inviting him originally.

What was the weirdest gift you received? If you're not married yet, what's the weirdest gift you've ever given?  One time, when I was probably 12, my mom bought me an As Seen on TV microwave egg cooker. There was no explanation behind it.

Where is/was your honeymoon? Cancun

Describe your favorite type of cookie: The oatmeal raisin  cookies my grandma made... She gave my sister the recipe years back, but they didn't taste the same. Unfortunately, grandma passed away, so the cookies no longer exist :(

If if money were not an issue, where in the world do you want to visit and why?  As many places as I could? Czech Republic, Argentina, South Africa, Australia/NZ, Thailand...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • How did you meet your SO? Both in the same graduate program. A few weeks into school, we had a group project where we had to identify ancient Greek and Roman coins. Turned out our two assigned coins were husband and wife. Geekiest flirting in the library stacks ever. 

down? Rather non-romantically, haha. We had been talking about getting married for a while, and then one day he just asked me when I wanted to start pre-marriage classes at our church. I looked back at him, a bit startled, and asked if that meant we were engaged. He shrugged and responded, "Uh, yeah, I guess? You want to be?" I think I stole his thunder, as he claims he was planning on doing an actual proposal sometime. But he hadn't got a ring or planned anything, and I assumed it was just as good to announce our engagement then rather than wait for another half year.

If you already had your wedding, what etiquette faux pas did you commit? (If you feel like confessing, safe space here). Doing my best to avoid all that I can, thanks to TK. Almost had a gap between my ceremony and reception, but have averted that thanks to advice from here. 

What was the weirdest gift you received? If you're not married yet, what's the weirdest gift you've ever given? Not married yet, so I'd have to say the strangest thing I've ever given . . . is a fake eggplant. 

Where is/was your honeymoon? Still unscheduled, as we're not sure how much time I can get off from work. But if we're able to, we'd love to go to Alaska. 

Describe your favorite type of cookie: Oatmeal chocolate chip, soft and chewy. 

If if money were not an issue, where in the world do you want to visit and why? So many places. I'd love to just take a month or two to travel all the Mediterranean around South Europe and North Africa, since the history of that area is what I studied and love so much. I've also always really wanted to visit Iceland, since I really like geology, and Tibet, both for the culture and the natural beauty. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    We met on an E-harmony message board.  We were both Eharmony members but weren't matches because we lived in different states.  He saw my avatar photo and said if I was ever in the Denver area to look him up, and I responded saying my BFF and some family live there, so I visit often.  And it just went from there...

down?
    We were moving into our new house that we built together.  I was putting away towels in the linen closet then turned around and there he was on one knee.  We didn't take an "engagement selfie" or anything because I hadn't showered and looked like absolute hell.

Some very minor B-listing.  We sent out STDs in March for the Sept wedding (in hindsight I would have skipped the STDs altogether), and our list at time of STDs was at the venue max.  Between that time and the invite time, we became good friends with a couple sets of neighbors, but I couldn't give them an invite since we were already at the max.  I actually told them that.  Once we got the appropriate amount of declines I gave them an invite.  I felt terrible about it too.

Umm, nothing entirely weird.  H's grandma gave us some really ugly off registry items... like needlepoint throw pillows.  We gave them to the dog, he loves pillows.

We didn't take one.  We may do a nice trip in our camper for our one year, but we'll see.  We had to do landscaping in our front yard to the tune of about $15 grand though, so we joke that the yard is our honeymoon.

Oatmeal chocolate chip, or cut out sugar cookies with a soft sugary frosting.

This isn't super exotic or anything but I'd like to take a couple months off work and do a long road trip in our camper to see Yellowstone and Glacier National Park, maybe even head on up to Banff.
    Married 9.12.15

• How did you meet your SO?  eHarmony.  Nothing exciting.  I took out a 1 year membership (it was cheaper per month than the 6 month) and was about to give up on it before I decided to answer his round of q's.

If he/she/you proposed, how'd it go down?  We talked about it for awhile, he wanted to talk to my Dad before he did though, so my parents came into town to help me with my new house.  As they were ripping up tile, he asked the question.  Then my parents left for the weekend, and he took me to our favorite park, which I kinda knew what was happening since we haven't been in awhile and then he took out the ring and said "you wanna?"  It didn't happen exactly like that, but he didn't get down on one knee, or no "do you want to marry me?" with a long speech like you see in the movies.  It was just us on our favorite park bench, which it totally AOK with me.

If you already had your wedding, what etiquette faux pas did you commit? (If you feel like confessing, safe space here) n/a

What was the weirdest gift you received? If you're not married yet, what's the weirdest gift you've ever given?  Not married yet, so not a wedding gift - but my friend gave me a head scratcher for Christmas once.  I don't think I ever used it.

Where is/was your honeymoon?  We're thinking Bahamas cruise

Describe your favorite type of cookie:  one I can have? Murry's Sugar Free chocolate wafer.  One I shouldn't have (diabetic)? white chocolate ship macadamia nut from subway.

If if money were not an issue, where in the world do you want to visit and why? There's to many to list, but probably the more expensive locations/resorts in Greece.

We were in a finance class together in college (didn't know each other) and I forgot to sign up for a group for our semester projects.  Professor placed me in his group.

There's a park downtown in our city that is always decorated really nicely for the Christmas season.  He made reservations and a restaurant near there and parked really far away (it was freezing).  he took me out under the lights and said some nice things :)

I wasn't active on these boards til after my wedding, and I totally B-listed.  

Honestly, I dont' remember any super weird gifts, wedding or otherwise. 
    Florida
    Describe your favorite type of cookie
    toffee :)
    Scandinavia/Russia
  • How did you meet your SO? We were both co-ops at the same company for a summer. He started a couple weeks before me and came over to talk to me. 

down? We go to the restaurant we had our first date at every year and on our 2nd dating anniversary when we were walking back to my apartment he got down on one knee in the middle of the sidewalk.

If you already had your wedding, what etiquette faux pas did you commit? (If you feel like confessing, safe space here) We had a couple as I had already committed them before discovering this site, I tried to correct the ones I could. We had listed 21+ on the website (took that down but people had already seen it before I realized it was rude), didn't ask BMs for a budget but gave them a list of dresses in a range of prices (I wish now I'd just picked a color and said pick whatever but I didn't even realize that was an option before coming here), had open beer/wine bar but DH and the venue ganged up on me and wouldn't not offer the other alcohol so I made signs... 

What was the weirdest gift you received? If you're not married yet, what's the weirdest gift you've ever given? My bridesman gave me a stuffed mouse as part of his gift. I love it honestly. It's because he brought me pet mice in HS, he smuggled them into the school and I smuggled them home.

Where is/was your honeymoon? Sandals resort in Ocho Rios, Jamaica (I wish I could live there)

Describe your favorite type of cookie: Anything as long as the center is gooey.

If if money were not an issue, where in the world do you want to visit and why? New Zealand - Great Sauvingnon Blanc and I want to see the hobbit holes!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • How did you meet your SO? Online - eHarmony. I had been on the site for 2 years and had given myself an ultimatum of being done with the site by Christmas if I hadn't met someone. FI comes waltzing onto the site and met me his second week. Pffft. We actually have common friends but had never met. 

If he/she/you proposed, how'd it go down? We were sitting on our living room couch and I had given him his anniversary card (we've been together for a long time and celebrate each year). He was going to propose when we went for an after dinner walk but he really liked my card and felt bad that I didn't have something to open. He gave me a gift certificate (hand made) for a ring and another for a wedding. We are giant nerds and give home made gift certificates all the time. It was very special. 

If you already had your wedding, what etiquette faux pas did you commit? (If you feel like confessing, safe space here) Trying my hardest not to commit anything. I'm glad I have the Knot, although my friends are good about voicing concerns. I'm very lucky. 

What was the weirdest gift you received? If you're not married yet, what's the weirdest gift you've ever given? A couple registered at a sex shop. I'm not a prude by any means, but I felt a little weird giving them what I did as I feel these things are a more private purchase. I bought them a game and some massage oil. :)

Where is/was your honeymoon? We are going on a 8 day Rhine river cruise with 2-5 days on either end exploring Amsterdam, Brussels, Geneva and probably somewhere else. I've always wanted to go on a cruise and we both love Europe so this seemed like a marriage of the two ideas. 

Describe your favorite type of cookie: I'm such a fence sitting. I love soft chocolate chip cookies but I do enjoy a very raisin oatmeal cookie. Actually ... I just like cookies. I can keep little bars of chocolate in my desk at work and never touch them, but I don't have restraint with cookies. 

If if money were not an issue, where in the world do you want to visit and why? I would love to do a round the world adventure. I know you can do cruises like this but also our regular airline offers this and I think it could be a lot of fun. It would certainly expose me to lots of places that I might not otherwise visit. I also would like to go on an Antarctic cruise, but that is actually in the planning stages for 2-3 years from now. We are big science nerds ... 
    We lived in same apartment building.  We both lived there for 5 years and hadn't met, then he parked his car in parking space and I nearly had his car towed.

If he/she/you proposed, how'd it go down?
    At Disney World.  He was going to do it at the castle with the fireworks, but then he nearly got into a fight because some guy kept knocking me in the head.  So, he proposed in the parking lot while we waited for the bus back to our hotel.

I had a destination wedding, so I put a lot of info on our STD's... enough that some people thought that was our formal invite (10 months before wedding).  But, in my defense, I wanted people to have the info to book the trip, so it had all the details and contact info for travel agent.  I also included a "preliminary RSVP" with it (it stated not really required to return, and it's okay if you don't know yet, and I'm just trying to get an approximate idea of who may be thinking about coming).  I learned afterward that the prelim. RSVP is typically frowned upon. But, I still sent formal invites to people that said they couldn't come with the prelim. RSVP's.  And neither my STD nor Invite had registry info on them! :smile:

Not really weird, but I got a needlepoint thing with our names on it.  Very old granny looking.  It's still buried in a closet.

Our wedding was on a cruise ship before it left port, so the cruise was our honeymoon.

Hmm... I think I'm a sucker for a nice, soft chocolate chip cookie.  Or the white chip macadamia cookies at Subway are awesome.

DH and I want to go to Bora Bora... it seems to relaxing and gorgeous.  But, my mom & I had been planning a 3-4 week full Europe tour for a while... hopefully it will happen next year.  Neither of us have been to Europe and there's so much to see, so we want to do a big, exhausting trip to see as much as we can.  Then we can determine which places we want to spend more time at and go back. 

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We met online. I made a profile with a friend just for laughs, so when he & I started talking and he asked for my number, I was like NO WAY DUDE. My sister ended up talking me into it, so I guess I kind of owe her. 

He treated me to a mani/pedi & massage, then cooked an amazing dinner and proposed in the kitchen of our new home!

If you already had your wedding, what etiquette faux pas did you commit? 
    We used a small, white cake for the cake cutting & served cheesecake for dessert. I still stand by this decision because cheesecake > regular cake. 

Nothing very weird. We got a very random set of red dishes, which was a little odd because white dish sets were on our registry. 

Excellence Punta Cana. 

I love a classic soft, chewy chocolate chip cookie. 

If I had to pick just one spot, probably Thailand. But if money wasn't an issue I'd travel around the world. 
  • How did you meet your SO?  I was a bartender at a bar that he hosted karaoke at. We are having karaoke at our reception, so it's an awesome way to tie in how we met!

If he/she/you proposed, how'd it go down?  We were vacationing in Victoria, BC and were walking around on the beach. I was walking a little bit ahead of him and he asked me when we could have kids (he's totally baby crazy) I told him "after we're married!" and he says "alright, let's just get married then" and got down on his knee. I didn't believe him right away and kept asking him if he was serious. A handful of teenage girls sitting on a nearby rock saw the whole thing and clapped when we walked by after I'd put on the ring.

If you already had your wedding, what etiquette faux pas did you commit? (If you feel like confessing, safe space here).  Haven't gotten married yet! So hopefully none (or very few tiny ones?)

What was the weirdest gift you received? If you're not married yet, what's the weirdest gift you've ever given?  When I was maybe 12 one of my aunts got me a VHS of magnified fractals set to a psych rock soundtrack? I was a nerd and fractals are cool, but I was definitely not a stoner at 12.

Where is/was your honeymoon? Haven't planned it yet since we aren't doing it directly after the wedding.

Describe your favorite type of cookie: Sugar cookies

If if money were not an issue, where in the world do you want to visit and why? Everywhere! I've seen most of North America (seriously!) but haven't been off the continent. Peru, the South Pacific, Europe, North Africa all rank pretty highly for me.
  • How did you meet your SO?  A friend of a friend of a friend of a friend....no kidding...  I was at a little get-together at a friend's apartment and got to talking to her friend from work and when she heard that I was into cooking, she put me in touch with her other friend who was running a local food coop.  I hit it off with this coop girl and when i told her i was single... she said "have i got a guy for you...."

If he/she/you proposed, how'd it go down?  We were on a trip out on Cape Cod MA and were sitting on this absolutely gorgeous beach watching the sunset and listening to the waves crash...just the two of us on the beach.  He looked at me and asked if i'd marry him and gently pushed a ring into my palm.  I nearly passed out at first.... caught my breath.... and said "yes".

If you already had your wedding, what etiquette faux pas did you commit? (If you feel like confessing, safe space here).  Have not had the wedding yet...but have had a few bad dreams of messing up pretty badly.  Hoping that most of my faux pas get worked out in the dreams beforehand! 

What was the weirdest gift you received? If you're not married yet, what's the weirdest gift you've ever given?  No sure if I've given out too many weird gifts... hmmmm.... One time i made a candle with dried flowers and all and used their really pretty wedding invitation to wrap the candle... i thought it was really pretty but my friend gave me a lot of ribbing about it.

Where is/was your honeymoon? Don't know yet but have been having a lot of fun thinking about were to have it!

Describe your favorite type of cookie: Hmmmm...depends on the day - some days oreos and others its double chocolate biscotti

If if money were not an issue, where in the world do you want to visit and why? Italy, Venice, Rome - all over Italy.  It just seems so very romantic!
  • How did you meet your SO? One of my former friends stalked him when we were in high school. She lived down the street from him and found out he was going to the movies with a bunch of his friends. So she begged me to take her (I was 16 and had a DL) and she then introduced us. We talked off and on for about a month then lost touch. Fast forward 8 years later, we reconnected at a car show and had our first date.

If he/she/you proposed, how'd it go down? We went on a birthday trip, FI is 3 days older than me. He took me on a surprise wine tour and proposed at the 2nd winery.

If you already had your wedding, what etiquette faux pas did you commit? (If you feel like confessing, safe space here) I'll let you know in 8 months haha

What was the weirdest gift you received? If you're not married yet, what's the weirdest gift you've ever given? One of my mom's former friends would give the most random shit as a present. Oh you need face scrub? It was in the bag.

Where is/was your honeymoon? We are going on a 7 day Western Caribbean Cruise out of New Orleans. 

Describe your favorite type of cookie: Orange Slice Drop Cookies... They have the orange slice gummy candies in them and are amazing.

If if money were not an issue, where in the world do you want to visit and why? I would want to go around the world. I can't pick just one place.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
    We met through friends at a ceilidh (scottish dancing incase you're not familiar) in London. He danced with me all night and was happy to let me lead since I'm pretty good at it and he hadn't a clue. I kind of knew he was a keeper from that alone.

If he/she/you proposed, how'd it go down?

He took me to the Isle of Skye and asked me on a beach with a herd of cows sitting next to us. I believe it was perfect, all I heard was white noise once I realised what was happening. He tells me I said yes.

l'm planning on trying to cram them all in if I can. I might start with a 4hr gap, that seems to be the issue du jour. Next week it'll be the bridesmaids.

I've already been given a second hand garter from a charity shop by my aunt, if people choose to give us any more gifts I hope they get better  :o

We haven't planned anything yet as we can't decide. I'd love to go drive around Canada for a bit, or maybe Vietnam/Cambodia. Too many choices.

Describe your favourite type of cookie:

Chocolate vienesse. Though I'm really more of a salty, savoury girl.

If money were not an issue, where in the world do you want to visit and why?

If money were no object I'd quit work and just work my way through them all. I'd always go back to the Scottish highlands though.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    I made this snazzy lil questionnaire for anyone who's interested....and perhaps a way for us all to get to know each other more.  Cheesy? Yes probably....Fun? You betcha!

Church.  Our families knew each other before we were born.

down?

He casually asked me as we were sipping wine on his apartment balcony.  I was shocked.  I had no idea he had marriage in mind.  I was smart enough to say "YES!"

None.

My FMIL gave me a padded toilet seat.

Two nights in nearby Kansas City.  We didn't start luxury travels until our 25th wedding anniversary.

Chocolate chip, of course.  Is there any other kind?

Money is no longer an issue, but health is.  We have traveled all over the world in the last 15 years.  Headed for Provence in June for our 40th wedding anniversary, and if my health holds out, we'll go to Japan next year.  We like cruises.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
    High school. 

down?
    He proposed to me at my sister's house. I was told we were going out to dinner with my sister and brother in law. I came into the house and my family and his family were sitting in the living room. My nieces were holding a sign that said "Aunt Keke will you let Z be our uncle?!?" My first reaction was to turn to my dad and say "You knew and didn't tell me?!" 
    It was perfect. :smiley: 

Oct. 1st- Hopefully we won't have any! 

I give my FI legos for almost every holiday. It's his version of adult coloring. :wink: 

I think we're going to Chicago? We haven't decided quite yet. 

Almond paste cookies- we call them almond essies. They're covered in powdered sugar and super soft. 
    Chocolate chip cookies are also a favorite.

Scotland. I'm dying to see the castles there.
    - We met in high school. And then I moved away and we lost touch.

down?
    - He proposed. My sister is a diamond expert for Zales, so he had been contacting her a lot. I knew what was up, but pretended I didn't. He took DS to go with him when it finally came in, and had him hold the ring box when he got on one knee. I was super sick with strep and looked a hot mess, and it was wonderful.

- Not married yet (89 days!) but at my first wedding I was really young, and didn't realize you had to care about your guests. I did a just desserts reception with like 10 different kinds of dessert at 8pm. And I forgot to send thank you cards. I have since apologized to everyone, but it still haunts me.

- First wedding, we received a book about how waiting until you're married to fornicate is best, when we already had a child. And other ways to live through Christ. I am openly Atheist.

- We are flying to Florida the day after, being tourists there for a day, then a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas, and wrapping it up with a two day adventure at Harry Potter world at Universal/Islands of Adventure.

- Super soft oatmeal raisin. Nom.

- Ireland. I'm a lore freak and history buff. Also. Highlanders.

• edited March 2016

We met in a meeting of a 12-Step fellowship and went for coffee after. We've been together ever since.

down?

We had been looking at rings on Etsy and decided that rings would be our Christmas present to each other. My ring didn't arrive till January, and she slipped it on my finger while we were on the bus. Hers didn't show up till February, and I put it on her finger while we were in the kitchen. 

We haven't gotten married yet, and thanks to TK, I hope I can avoid anything major. I've already been talked down from a potluck reception and self-catering. I love to cook, but having 20 people over for chili and macaroni and cheese is the most I can handle in our kitchen.

Given: I was very into feng shui for a while and gave my cousin and her husband a set of feng shui candles for their wedding. My family is not Asian.

Received: My late aunt and uncle gave our family a double-sided jigsaw puzzle once.

Probably just going to have a staycation and check out everything in town that we haven't done yet.

My Oma's German butter cookies or my Grandma's pecan tarts.

Where don't I want to visit? Top of the list, though, are Ireland, Germany, Egypt, Greece, Japan, India, Thailand, Bali . . .

• MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    Funn

First day of architecture school 2010, we were in the same first-year class :p We became best friends very quick but didn't get together until the next year.

He planned a picnic with friends, we have this famous uni-sphere in Queens, we went to the center of it (where we had our first kiss 4 years before) he got down on one knee and I forgot everything he said and he asked me to marry him and I said of course :smiley: oh and a friend placed a bluetooth speaker when I didn't notice which played "Our love is here to stay" and "When I'm 64"

Not married yet (Cant wait!)

Never been to a wedding in my adult life but my fiance had this gift for a friend's wedding in which he ended up giving money instead, he didn't really know what to get them so he got this creepy figure of children or something for some reason... so we still have it in a box and have no idea what to do with it.

We're limited to just the US territories, so not sure yet. Maybe Puerto Rico, or Colorado...

Do green tea macaroons count? Oh wait or those flaky butterfly cookies? 

Went to Rome and Florence for a few days last year, it was the first European city I've ever been to and I fell in love, and if I could, I would go there and stay in Rome and never leave. Yo, their espresso and pasta and gelato though... I would just stuff myself with those three things forever. But logically I should probably visit a new city...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I made this snazzy lil questionnaire for anyone who's interested....and perhaps a way for us all to get to know each other more.  Cheesy? Yes probably....Fun? You betcha!

Online - OKCupid to be exact....that was almost 8 years ago :)

He hid the ring box in a pair of mittens and beanie, wrapped and in my Christmas stocking. While he was opening his gifts he was feeling them all trying to figure out what they were....knowing full well I would mock him sarcastically when it was my turn to open gifts...I felt the ring box and just knew!

Wedding is in June....outdoor summer wedding, but we are outdoorsy people, an indoor wedding just wouldn't be us!

A photo album...Not really weird, I was more surprised by it as I didn't think people still use those in a day of digital photos!

No honeymoon. We are travelling just to get married, so we will take an anniversary trip in a few years instead.

Girl Scouts Samoas/Caramel Dreams

Phuket Province - Thailand, It's gorgeous and the fiance has always wanted to scuba dive there

Rainy night in a bar

A year after we did it for the first time, we hiked a few hours through the woods with our ski equipment to a bowl with lots of late-season snow where you trek up and ski down.  The first year I skied down but the steepness was insane.  So when we did it again I hiked with the gear on my back but had no intention of of skiing the bowl, didn't tell FI because I wanted him to still do it.  When he found out I wasn't doing it, I said - I feel like I have too much to live for.  And he agreed and proposed.

Hopefully didn't commit too many faux pas.  On our wedding website I did give some guidelines on what to wear, but mainly about it being January in the mountains and people needed to bundle up.

What was the weirdest gift you received? If you're not married yet, what's the weirdest gift you've ever given?  H's good friend gave us a sculpture-type art piece of a skier.  It's made out of intense steel pipes and other odd things.  I think it's cool but H doesn't.

Alpine skiing and snowmobiling.  Shocking, I know.

I like cookies but am especially fond of aggressive chocolate cakes like lava cakes.  At restaurants I inevitably end up asking if they have a chocolate explosion cake on the menu.

If if money were not an issue, where in the world do you want to visit and why?  Bali, because I've heard it's sublime.  Also would love to see the coast of Colombia : I'm obsessed with Garcia Marquez and Shakira.  Buenos Aires because people call it their favorite city.  Ski in Chile during our summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards