Moms and Maids

Bridesmaid shows no excitement?

I have a childhood friend as one of my maids. She is the only one who hasn't met my man. She is the only one who hasn't said congratulations yet but she's my oldest friend and I figured she's always been a little shy with her emotions so I'd ask her to be a maid anyway.

Starting out she was the typical horror story. "I can't wear that color come on." "I get to pick out my dress right...". But as the months have gone by I've shared every fun detail with her anyway and she either doesn't answer my texts or sends me one-emoji back as a response. She is my only maid who hasn't offered support in any way or shown any enthusiasm (gimme some YAYYs or !!!!'s).

I am questioning her participation but she's my oldest friend and our mothers are best friends.

Any advice to asking a best friend if she just doesn't want to share in your day? We rarely talk and never see each other but I'm still afraid to lose her "friendship".

Re: Bridesmaid shows no excitement?

• Have you spoken to your friend about anything besides the wedding recently? She may be busy or going through something that's causing her to be unresponsive or uninterested in the wedding. She may also simply be annoyed that you're always talking about it. I suggest you ask your friend about her life and talk to her about other things, and don't bring the wedding up for a while. Just because she's a bridesmaid doesn't mean she has to be as excited as you are about the wedding, and it's unrealistic to expect that from her. 

And you absolutely, positively should not kick her out of your bridal party or question whether she wants to participate. There are very few circumstances where it's okay to do that, and her not being enthusiastic about your wedding planning is NOT one of them. Keep her in your wedding party and interact with her as your friend, not your bridesmaid. If after the wedding you still feel like your friendship isn't where it should be, then you can let it fade out then. But this is not the time for that.

• Are you 12? 

Your wedding may be the most important thing in your life, but that doesn't mean it's the most important thing in everyone else's life. The sooner you realize that, the easier this will all be. 
  • You rarely talk and never see each other, but you thought that would change because you are getting married? OP, answer this - when was the last time you approached her to talk about non-wedding stuff? You know, like friends do. It seems that she is responding to your texts, just not with the exact wording that you seem to need so it's ridiculous that you'd even bring that up. However, if you think she isn't interested then why the holy hell do you keep updating her with every 'fun' detail. No one needs to be kept this up to date with your wedding plans, and the details aren't particularly fun to anyone but you. Sorry to break that to you.

Oy, you sound like hard work. I'm on your bridesmaids side. Don't text her again unless it's to talk about the film you went to see at the weekend or something. Start treating her like a friend, not just someone in your wedding.

• I have a similar BM: we've been friends since we were 5, we very rarely see each other, and we've definitely grown apart. She is not a party girl like me, and is largely uninterested in any part of the wedding except me being with the person I love at the end of the day. But I still love her dearly, and want her there next to me the day of. 

I don't text her with details, and keep conversations about the wedding strictly to what she brings up and asks (which is rare, but happens). I will ask her to pick out her own black dress, invite her to dress shop (but be fine if she declines), and she will show up the day of and celebrate with me. That's literally all I need from her; I have plenty of other friends who want to hear details about dresses and DJs and all that. 
  • I have a childhood friend as one of my maids. She is the only one who hasn't met my man. She is the only one who hasn't said congratulations yet but she's my oldest friend and I figured she's always been a little shy with her emotions so I'd ask her to be a maid anyway.

Starting out she was the typical horror story. "I can't wear that color come on." "I get to pick out my dress right...". But as the months have gone by I've shared every fun detail with her anyway and she either doesn't answer my texts or sends me one-emoji back as a response. She is my only maid who hasn't offered support in any way or shown any enthusiasm (gimme some YAYYs or !!!!'s).

I am questioning her participation but she's my oldest friend and our mothers are best friends.

Any advice to asking a best friend if she just doesn't want to share in your day? We rarely talk and never see each other but I'm still afraid to lose her "friendship".

I'm having an extreme deja vu moment.  Was there not recently a thread that used this exact expression? 
  •  :# 
    I think you meant YAY!!!!!!
     o:) 
  • I have a childhood friend as one of my maids. She is the only one who hasn't met my man. She is the only one who hasn't said congratulations yet but she's my oldest friend and I figured she's always been a little shy with her emotions so I'd ask her to be a maid anyway.

Why do you need support? You're planning a PARTY. Nobody is dying. There is nothing disastrous happening. It's a party. You don't need support to plan it.
    --

• Is she normally an in-depth texter? Or does she use a ton of exclamation points? No? NBD. Is she busy with her life and maybe can't go into detail with a response? 

I get to pick my dress right? Of course, your my oldest friend, I want you to be comfortable. OR of course as long as it is ( length, color, fabric or whatever you feel important) 

• MobKaz said:
    I have a childhood friend as one of my maids. She is the only one who hasn't met my man. She is the only one who hasn't said congratulations yet but she's my oldest friend and I figured she's always been a little shy with her emotions so I'd ask her to be a maid anyway.

I'm having an extreme deja vu moment.  Was there not recently a thread that used this exact expression? 

Maybe not that whole exact phrase...or maybe I am thinking of a different post entirely...but I'm remembering a recent post where the OP had been really good friend's with the FI's sister (before OP and FI started dating).  Then OP started dating FI.  Sister was upset about that.  Their friendship became up and down.  Part of what OP was upset about is, when the engagement was announced, the FSIL only sent a smiling emoji as a response.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

You seem to require an awful lot of validation.  I'd think about that really hard, if I were you.
  • I suggest contacting your friend and asking her what is new in her life - try to engage her by learning more about what she has been up to. There's a chance that she is dealing with some heavy things that you don't know about and she doesn't want to share and risk raining on a happy time in your life.

Alternatively, she might not be a wedding person or a good actress. There's also a chance that hearing the details of your wedding could be striking a sensitive note - perhaps she wants to find love/ partnership and all of the texts remind her of what she feels she is missing in her own life.

There are lots of possibilities - but as a long time friend who seems to be concerned, I think you should start by checking in with her and learn more about her life - and stop sending her updates on your wedding. Give her your attention instead of asking for hers. Good luck! 
  • I suggest contacting your friend and asking her what is new in her life - try to engage her by learning more about what she has been up to. There's a chance that she is dealing with some heavy things that you don't know about and she doesn't want to share and risk raining on a happy time in your life.

Alternatively, she might not be a wedding person or a good actress. There's also a chance that hearing the details of your wedding could be striking a sensitive note - perhaps she wants to find love/ partnership and all of the texts remind her of what she feels she is missing in her own life.

There are lots of possibilities - but as a long time friend who seems to be concerned, I think you should start by checking in with her and learn more about her life - and stop sending her updates on your wedding. Give her your attention instead of asking for hers. Good luck! 
    I like you. Stay and play with us

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards