Attire & Accessories Forum

Re: Alright ladies- dress 1 or 2?!

• 1 looks more soft and romantic, but that may have to do with the lighting. They're both lovely. 
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    What do your eyes say?  Your posture looks better in #2...  Both are nice and the same silhouette, and if you like both, I'd say go with the one that is friendlier on the budget! (which when alterations are taken into account - is likely going to be #1..  The hem on #2 may break the bank!)
  • You really think that hem will be super expensive? I didn't even think about that
  • Hard choice! I love sweetheart on 1, but the bottom of 2 better. I think I would pick 2 overall. Both are very pretty though!
  • I'm pro - option 2. Its skirt is more elegant, I think! And lace is very nice.
  • You really think that hem will be super expensive? I didn't even think about that
    You can't just chop off the bottom bit of fabric with lace like that, like you could with uniform fabric - the design of the lace is meant to lay at the bottom of the dress. The fabric is usually cut elsewhere and shortened from the middle of the dress.

I'd definitely consult with a seamstress before buying dress #2, if you're leaning that way.
  • 2 b/c I don't like tulle.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
    You can't just chop off the bottom bit of fabric with lace like that, like you could with uniform fabric - the design of the lace is meant to lay at the bottom of the dress. The fabric is usually cut elsewhere and shortened from the middle of the dress.

I'd definitely consult with a seamstress before buying dress #2, if you're leaning that way.

This!  Get it quoted because it's better to think about this now than it is after the fact when you're hit with a huge alterations bill and that's not a hem that you could DIY instead.  It's a buzzkill but not unheard of that alterations can sometimes double the cost of the dress hence having a dress budget, then cutting it in half for the price-point for the dress because of the nickel and dime stuff like alterations. 
  • I love them both, but am leaning towards 1.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • You look great in both gowns!  If you like #2, ask if you can order it with a "hollow to hem" measurement. Basically they will make the length of the gown exactly what you need. Because this is a custom measurement it will be more expensive on the front end, but may save $ in the long run. If you do this, though, make extra sure they measure with the exact heel height you plan to wear.  Good luck!
  • They're both gorgeous on you but I vote 1....like the neckline a lot more and I feel it is more striking!  Dress 2 looks a lot more similar to many dresses I've seen before.  I think either way they will both be beautiful!
  • Giaspo said:
    You look great in both gowns!  If you like #2, ask if you can order it with a "hollow to hem" measurement. Basically they will make the length of the gown exactly what you need. Because this is a custom measurement it will be more expensive on the front end, but may save $ in the long run. If you do this, though, make extra sure they measure with the exact heel height you plan to wear.  Good luck!
    I would do this for both dresses.  With mermaids and fit and flares, the part where the skirt juts out needs to be precise, and if it isn't it can make you look really short/the proportions would be noticeably off.

• You look great in both! (And would in a paper bag as well!) But I think I like #1 more.
  • I love both! For the hem though, some designers let you order the dress with the lace at the bottom detached. Your alterations person can hem the dress then attach the lace. 
  • They are both stunning but if had to choose I think it would be 2 because I love lace.  I don't know anything about alterations so I can't help you with that. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • both are very stunning for sure, but i am loving #1 best. 
  • I like 1.  I asked about hemming a lace bottom similar to the one on the second dress and the alterations were 200-275 from 3 different seamstresses.  
  • ^ Reason being was the seamstress says that they cut around the lace detail on the bottom, raise it up and try to integrate into back into the dress seamlessly.  The dress may not look the same once alterations are completed.  Keep that in mind.  Both look stunning on you.  Great fit.
  • I love number 1 but you can't go wrong with either. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Both look gorgeous on you, but I definitely prefer dress #1.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards