Wedding Woes

Free drinks are never 'free'.

Dear Prudence,
I am a happily married mother of two young children. After a particularly rough week, my husband encouraged me to go out and have fun with my sister, who recently broke off her engagement. We went out to eat and then to a bar. A group of couples came in, and one of the guys bought drinks for my sister and me so that we could all toast to “new friends.” They left, and another group of people came in. Another guy bought me a drink, even after I told him I was married, then later my sister and I went home. Here’s my problem: My husband doesn’t mind that I got a free drink from the first guy, because he had also been married, but he does mind that the second man bought me a drink, because he wasn’t married and knew that I was. This makes me wonder: Is it wrong to accept free drinks when in a relationship or is it only OK if the buyer is in a relationship too?

—Drinks for Free

Re: Free drinks are never 'free'.

• Also, I've always wondered how this free drink thing works.  I've never been offered one, except for by alcohol reps.  But according to guys on the internet, this is part of my "female privilege."  So I want in:)

I get drinks bought for me. I go to a lot of football and hockey games and the people in bars before and after games are (in my experience) a lot friendlier and talkative to strangers than your typical Saturday night bar. Usually it's just a guy saying "hey I need another beer, what are you drinking?". I will usually accept a drink but not if the guy is overly flirty or clearly trying to hit on me.

I buy drinks for people too, like if the bar is totally full and there's two people sitting at a 4-person table and they let us sit there, I'll buy them drinks to thank them.

I very rarely, if ever, get drinks bought for me at just a regular old bar on a regular old day, aside from the bartenders where I'm considered a regular.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I feel guilty on the rare occasion anyone (meaning strangers) buys me a drink. It barely happens anymore, but the most recent occasion was when I joined a friend at a gay bar. One of his friends bought a round of fireball and included me. 
    Obviously that means nothing, lol. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards