Wedding Etiquette Forum

Am I overstepping?

My Fi has 4 little sisters who live two states away with his father. Last he spoke with him, just his father was planning on attending our wedding. Fi and his father are not on the best of terms, so Fi doesn't really feel comfortable bringing up the fact that he really wants his little sisters there. Would it be out of line for me to call his father and ask what it would take, either car rental or extra money, for him to bring them? We are already paying for his 19 year old sister to fly in, but I can tell it upsets him that his littlest sisters won't be there (they are 17,16,10&8). He has 8 little sisters, he adores them and they love their big brother, but they rarely get to see each other and I know it mean a lot to him to have them there.

Re: Am I overstepping?

• Thank you. I guess it doesn't sit well with me that this is such an important day for Fi and his sisters may not be there
  • Jinx1990 said:
    Thank you. I guess it doesn't sit well with me that this is such an important day for Fi and his sisters may not be there
    Of course it doesn't. But he's a big boy and he has options here. He can talk to his father, he could talk to his sisters directly. He could ask you to make the call. If he doesn't want to then yup, sad. But not your place. 
  • As much as you can see that the prospect of your FI's sisters not attending your wedding is painful to your FI, this is an issue you need to let him handle and not get involved in yourself.
  • He has 8 sisters? Or four? Are the other four coming?
  • He has 9 sisters (8 younger). The older will be there, we are buying another a plane ticket, one lives two hours away, four live with dad, and the other two he has lost contact with. He is the most understanding man of women I have met lol. 
  • Jinx1990 said:
    My Fi has 4 little sisters who live two states away with his father. Last he spoke with him, just his father was planning on attending our wedding. Fi and his father are not on the best of terms, so Fi doesn't really feel comfortable bringing up the fact that he really wants his little sisters there. Would it be out of line for me to call his father and ask what it would take, either car rental or extra money, for him to bring them? We are already paying for his 19 year old sister to fly in, but I can tell it upsets him that his littlest sisters won't be there (they are 17,16,10&8). He has 8 little sisters, he adores them and they love their big brother, but they rarely get to see each other and I know it mean a lot to him to have them there.
    If your fiance can't talk to his father about his sisters himself, maybe he can get one of his other sisters to mention it.  It makes more sense to get another sister involved than for you to get involved.
  • Might be more practical financially if you and MrJinx travel to see the girls on their home turf. Take them out for great desserts and celebrate.
  • Might be more practical financially if you and MrJinx travel to see the girls on their home turf. Take them out for great desserts and celebrate.
    I wish! But Fi just started a new job and can't take time off for several months. He gets the Friday before the wedding off, but  returns to work Monday morning. We have postponed our honeymoon to when he is off probation at work. We were lucky enough to get free airfare to our honeymoon location, so going to see them for part of the vacation is not possible.
  • Jinx1990 said:
    Wow. . . how many kids total are in this family?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Wow. . . how many kids total are in this family?
    Fi has one older sister (his only full sibling), 8 younger, and one brother. Mix of half and step siblings.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards