Wedding Woes

This is something you haven't figured out in 10 years?

Dear Prudence, 
I have been having the same problem with my husband for years. He sets his alarm incredibly early in the morning and mine goes off about two hours later. He gets up with his alarm about two-thirds of the time. Even then, he’s never the first to respond to it. Every single morning for 10 years, I’ve had to shake him awake to shut off his alarm, and sometimes I have to repeat it every 20 minutes until he gets up. I do not fall asleep so readily, so I am often awake in between snoozes. In addition, he is a great sleeper through the night, whereas I toss and turn and wake up for every sound the kids make. When he actually does get up on time, he works very hard on stuff, so I don’t want to insist he “can’t” set his alarm early. Is this just something I have to deal with? He’s a nice guy and a good husband. I just wish our sleeping patterns matched up better.

—Going Off

Re: This is something you haven't figured out in 10 years?

• Uh-oh. I'm the one who does this.
  • H does this (kinda). When his alarm goes off the first time, he goes to the couch and snoozes for as long as he pleases and I am sometimes able to fall back asleep.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • DH gets up around 4:30a...his alarm starts around 4am and he snoozes until 4:30a (sometimes 4:45a), I have no issue shoving him until he turns off his alarm.  But he's gotten really good at getting it at the first sound it makes.  And I've learned to fall back asleep, even though I am a light sleeper.  (Except for last night, where DefConn ninja'd into bed without me knowing.) 

It's not that hard and certainly nothing to write an advice column over.  Also, if it really bothers you that much, you talk to your spouse to find a solution. 
  • H loves to "get up early" which means snoozing the alarm for 45 minutes. This drives me insane, I'm a light sleeper so once I'm up, I'm up. We compromised by saying that he can snooze it twice, but if he wants to sleep in longer he has to set the alarm later. 
  • Yup. DH used to snooze for an hour. Once I'm awoken, that's it. 
    Now, we both snooze for 20 minutes and I get up. He continues to snooze until I'm done showering and on to eating my breakfast. 

You know what my sister and her H did? Separate bedrooms. 

• FI's alarm goes off around 5, I wouldn't know it never wakes me up. Usually I'm asleep around 2-3am so its right when I'm hitting that deep sleep and nothing will wake me. On days we have off my alarm is waking us up, but it usually happens around 9:30-10am so it isn't like FI isn't getting to sleep in already. 
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2016

I'm the one who can sleep through walking across the room, shut the alarm off, and fall back asleep...  and never remember it even going off...

• DH has an awesome internal alarm clock.  He automatically wakes up at whatever time he plans to, give or take maybe 10 minute window of error at most.  I have no clue how he does it. He usually wakes up at 5:30ish.  I don't need to be up until later, but I've gotten used to waking up with him in the morning, especially since he wakes up and cooks bacon everyday (definitely motivation to wake up early).  So, we don't use alarm clock in our house.  I have one, but it's not even set.

But, my in-laws have very different sleep patterns.  They solved it by having separate bedrooms. 

• Separate bedrooms. H and I did that for awhile when we were dating and he wanted to get up at 4:30-5 am to work out. I am a horrible sleeper and like others, once I'm awake that's it. So if he wanted to get up early the next morning, he'd sleep in the spare room. His work schedule has since changed that he can now work out in the afternoons but it was a very good solution to the problem. Now if only I could figure out how to get my neighbor to stop starting his loud truck at 5 am every morning right outside our window...
  • I would LOVE to be one of the happy separate bedroom couples. LOVE. H is adamantly against it. He slept on the couch a lot in our rental house and he didn't want that to become a habit at our new house. So I take a lot of sleeping pills.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • We're the same way with him being a heavy sleeper and me waking to nearly every sound. I can't function well at my job on no sleep. I even have to wear earplugs because my husband snores. This situation would enrage me, and no way in hell would I let it go.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards