Chit Chat

Can we talk about Mirena ?

When I was 21 and had my six week post baby check up, my midwife had pushed me into making a decision about BC right away, at that appointment. I knew prior that I had to start considering, and had been doing some research on different BC options, but I absolutely wasn't ready to make a snap choice on the spot. Well, she pushed and I folded, and ended up with the Mirena that afternoon.

I can't say I've had any issues, I was one of the lucky ones who had zero periods for the entire duration of it. No cramping, no pain, nothing. However, FI and I have been discussing TTC shortly after the wedding, so I contacted my new gyno about having it removed. I guess I didn't realize how many issued came with it, and honestly I'm fucking terrified. It seems there are new articles all the time about potential dangers with the Mirena, and the damage it does to the body. My gyno suggested talking to other women, as everyone reacts differently, but there should be no problem at all. So, on that note, did anyone have any issues ? Not just with the removal itself, but any issues with conception after ?

Honestly, it has to come out within the next 4 months as I'm on my fifth year. But I'm fucking terrified. I wish I had done more research at the time, and realized I had more control over my body to say no. I know googling is the worst thing you can do about things like this, but I did. And yeah, I cried. A lot. I'm scared that I did a lot of damage to my body, and that I will have trouble with conception. I can't get in to physically see my doctor for a few weeks yet, so all I have to go on is her stating there are rarely any issues at all.

Did anyone get it removed with no problems ? Sorry for the long rant, but its just been eating away at me, and I figured I would get a better variety of answers than a google search.

Re: Can we talk about Mirena ?

• Can you talk to one of her colleagues or a nurse in her practice? Does your insurance offer an on-call nurse line? Either might be able to answer questions or at least ease your mind. 

Good luck and (((((((hugs))))))))
  • Thank you!

My gyno doesn't have an on-call nurse, sadly. I've spoken with my gyno directly, several times, about some issues I'm having with the removal so she told me some basic side effects (bleeding, cramping, mood swings) but that most women don't even have those issues. I just feel like thats not a good enough answer. I would prefer to know statistics, tell me the percent of women who have no issues, and tell me about the real issues women have, too. I feel like she is just trying to placate me and not offering any real information.

Ugh. I just want it out.

• I don't have a mirena, but I do have a copper IUD, and I've had it out and a new one inserted.  Having it removed was a breeze.  My Doctor gave it a quick tug from what I can tell and it was out, barely even a pinch.  Putting in the new one hurt more, though much better than the first time.  

If you're worried about hormonal changes now that you're coming off the hormones, I can't help there.  Does your city have a health line you can call?  We have one where a nurse answers and gives basic health advice over the phone (whether you should go to the hospital, basic health questions, etc.)

• I'm not TTC but the removal itself was fine for me. Sure it hurt but not as bad as when it went in. I had a new IUD put in at the same time so I don't know what caused my cramps and bleeding for a few days after that, but other than that, nothing.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I just had mine removed in January to start TTC. I had it in for 4 years. 

My doctor gave me promising stats, and said to come back in 3 months if I hadn't started a period yet (and wasn't pregnant) because they would "jump start" it. I got my period after 6 weeks. Since that first one (which was fairly heavy), I had another regular one 28ish days later. Next one is due in a week, unless pregnant of course.

So, I'm not pregnant yet, however I am charting temps, and am happy to see that I am definitely ovulating, so I'm not not too concerned fertility wise. The charting is because I wanted to be very proactive, checking for ovulation, because I have a genetic thing that can cause premature menopause. 

I agree that the Internet can be crazy with the iud. When I had it in, I had a few side effects..slight acne, heightened emotions, and I googled and was convinced I was doomed to terrible acne and being crazy the entire time I had it, but after the initial adjustment, I had no prolonged side effects with it and am so glad I didn't remove it right away. 
  • Oh, I definitely had some mood swings when it was removed. I was told spotting was normal, but I didn't have that. I was a little sore/tender though. I did have major cramps with that first period that came, but my second cycle was much more typical (slight cramps, heady day one, etc.).
  • Thank you so much guys. I know the internet is dumb, and will make me BSC. I just searched "mirena removal" and it was terrible. i kept reading stories of women who bled for a month straight, and couldn't concieve, and how the IUD perforated the uterus. It's been making me sick.

Thank you again for sharing your stories, its really helped ease my mind! Hopefully when I go in the next week it can be removed.

• I think anytime you deal with something that is so prevalent you're going to see a wide variety of reviews.   FWIW, a mom on my local chat board did get pregnant with the Mirena in.   She was absolutely freaked out about it because once she saw that she conceived she did want to keep the baby and obviously it needed to come out.   Baby is happy and healthy now.   I know it's unlikely but there's still that possibility.

The only BC that seems to get ONLY negative reviews is Essure.    
  • I had a boss that got pregnant within a few months of taking hers out. I know it was less than 3 months because that's when they were planning on being able to actually "start" TCC and she was already pregnant. She also did not have a period while having the IUD. Remember for every bad instant out there there are probably quite a few that aren't motivated to come and talk positively about an experiance. 
  • I have a Mirena, and I also put them in (and take them out) for a living. I've never had any problems, personally, or with patients I've taken them out of.

Keep in mind that the things you read on internet boards and forums are from the unhappy few. No one logs on to the internet to tell everyone about their smooth experiences.

In my experience, the vast majority of women are satisfied with it, have no issues having it removed, and conceive pretty quickly (assuming they don't have an underlying infertility unrelated to the Mirena).

I'll be having mine removed after our wedding in October to TTC.

Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have appointment today to likely get my Nexplanon removed (had it since August), due to it causing fuzzy brain (I think that's the scientific term) and anxiety.  I think Mirena may be the next choice for us to try, but I'm a bit scared by some of the things I read online also.  The whole "perforating the uterus" thing freaks me out. I know odds are small, but it still makes me squeamish. But, we've run out of most other choices. I don't plan to have kids, so I think we are down to IUD or permanent surgical options.  But, hearing the positive posts on here (especially from people who have had it several years) makes me a bit more optimistic.

• STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    Thank you!

My gyno doesn't have an on-call nurse, sadly. I've spoken with my gyno directly, several times, about some issues I'm having with the removal so she told me some basic side effects (bleeding, cramping, mood swings) but that most women don't even have those issues. I just feel like thats not a good enough answer. I would prefer to know statistics, tell me the percent of women who have no issues, and tell me about the real issues women have, too. I feel like she is just trying to placate me and not offering any real information.

Ugh. I just want it out.

That is the real answer. Mirena is safe and effective. Most women experience no problems. Your only problem is anxiety that you're treating with Dr. Google. 
  • Thank you so much guys. I know the internet is dumb, and will make me BSC. I just searched "mirena removal" and it was terrible. i kept reading stories of women who bled for a month straight, and couldn't concieve, and how the IUD perforated the uterus. It's been making me sick.

Thank you again for sharing your stories, its really helped ease my mind! Hopefully when I go in the next week it can be removed.
    I've only ever heard of perforations when it becomes unintentionally dislodged into the uterus, not during removal.  And even that is a pretty low risk, I think around 1% or less.  But, removing it should be better from that standpoint.  

I agree I like to have statistics on risks, but when they're very small risks, I think some doctors try to not make them seem bigger than they are.  

That really sucks that you were pressured so much about BC.  That makes me feel even more uncomfortable the constant asking about what I was doing for BC in the first 2 days postpartum that I experienced.  
  • I had Mirena for about 2 years, and then had it removed because we though it might be causing libido issues.  Turns out that was not the case, and then I had Skyla put in (same basic thing, just lasts for 3 years instead of 5).  I didn't have any real issues with having it removed other than a little bit of cramping and a normal amount of bleeding.  Having the IUDs put in is a hell of a lot worse than having them taken out.  I have to echo PPs that most women do just fine and that what you're finding on google are extreme examples.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I'm another Mirena lover, have had it 2.5 years. It's the set it and forget it of birth control (although you're supposed to check for strings once per month...). The horror stories online made me extremely anxious prior to the insertion but other than the 10-15 seconds of strong, painful cramps, it was a good experience. 

I don't get periods with Mirena, but I also have PCOS and haven't had a regular period since I was 17, so... 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm another Mirena lover, have had it 2.5 years. It's the set it and forget it of birth control (although you're supposed to check for strings once per month...). The horror stories online made me extremely anxious prior to the insertion but other than the 10-15 seconds of strong, painful cramps, it was a good experience. 

I don't get periods with Mirena, but I also have PCOS and haven't had a regular period since I was 17, so... 
    I am 100% not trying to imply anything; I just can't hear the bolded without thinking of this:

• I'm late here, but I'm on my second Mirena.  The first came out when we were TTC DS, and I was pregnant within weeks.  No issues, other than that the first time, it was out of position during my 30 day follow-up check, so they strapped the ultrasound to me when they reinserted it, just to make sure it was in the right spot.  DH and I hadn't noticed anything, though.  The second one has been completely uneventful.  I like it because I never have to remember anything, and because my periods are pretty much nonexistent now. 
  • I've had my Mirena for almost a year, no problems. Most women I know who have had it have had no problems.

I have known one woman that had a perforated uterus. She had it removed, and was fine after (that was about 1.5 years ago). She is currently breastfeeding a 2-month-old baby even though she did encounter a problem with her Mirena. You should be fine :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Just got my mirena out (it had been 5 years) and they put a new one in at the same appointment. Typically those that have had issues have them shortly after insertion, not at removal. Stop looking at the Internet!! It's your worst enemy when it comes to self diagnosis. I'm the same way, thought I had a abnormal mole and convinced myself I had melanoma. Nope, just a bad case of the too much googling.
  • I did have a Doctor tell me not to use Mirena (or an IUD) prior to having children because it could potentially cause problems, that stats were low but not non-existent. Yea, I have a new doctor now, but I did want to say it's not just angry people, and crazy internet folk that say these things. 
  • i have mine and love it. i agree that is a set it and leave it kinda thing. for the checking the strings yeah i rarely do... (bad i know but its uncomfortable for me to do it) i have one thing to say.... period free since feburary 2014 and i am dreading the day i have to get it removed. i have had issues with heavy bleeding and month long periods that were heavy when i was in my teens and i want to be on BC because of the fear of getting them again even though its been 10 yrs. 
  • Just thought I would update on this. I mentioned I had my Mirena out in January. Took 6 weeks to get a first period, next cycle was a normal 30 days, next cycle pregnant  :) So I wouldn't stress to much! I was, but started charting and doing the temping thing which really helped me to see what was going on. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards