Destination Weddings Discussions

NEED:Bilingual Officiant in Guatemala

Does anyone know of a bilingual officiant in Guatemala? I am having a very hard time finding one.

Re: NEED:Bilingual Officiant in Guatemala

• Try the local boards for that area.
  • ernursej said:
    Try the local boards for that area.
    There is no local board for Guatemala.

I have not see of anyone on here getting married there. Are you working with a venue or resort? They can probably provide references.

• I feel your pain. I am getting married in Colombia and can not find a bilingual/English speaking officiant.

I can't help with Guatemala...but here's what I've learned:
    1) Look for foreign missionaries. Depending on your religious preferences this may or may not be an option. We found a bilingual Methodist pastor (Methodists tend to be very liberal and accepting of lots of ideas) in Bogota - in the country but a very expensive option with flights and hotels and such.
    2) Use a Spanish speaking officiant and hire an interpreter.
    3) Have you considered trying to work within a Spanish speaking officiant? I was terrified at first, but a lot of input, including a post on here (not sure how to link to it, I'm sorry) helped me see how this is possible. (Granted my fiance speaks Spanish). We decided to have the officiant say a greeting in Spanish (translated ahead of time - so I know what he will say) then have three readings by guests (two in English and one in Spanish for us, since we have guests that speak only Spanish and only English). Then we will say our own vows to each other in English. Then the officiant will pronounce us married and introduce us in Spanish - but those are simple enough I don't mind them being in Spanish. For each thing that is said in one language it will be written in our program in the other language. Not ideal but it is what we came up with. Hope this helps.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards