Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Solutions for F-G cups in wedding gown?

I wear between a 32-34 / F-G cup, and I'm having a hell of a time finding a dress I can wear a normal bra under.  I do not want to wear a strapless or backless dress, because I know I will not feel comfortable and confident at my cup size, but nearly every dress in every shop is strapless and/or backless!

I'm going for what has always looked best on my figure - a-line v-neck.  This is definitely the style I know I will love wearing, but I'm looking for a bra solution.  Issues I want to avoid are spilling over the top or back of the dress, or lining a sheer back and then seeing bra lines through the dress.

There are certainly options like longline, low back, and wrap-around bras, but my hourglass figure doesn't really allow those bras to sit properly around my hips.  They cut in places they shouldn't, or ride up to my waist.  For those of you who have around the same cup size and also have hips to match, what are you doing, or what have you done?  Have you sewn in a bra?  Do you just wing it?  Do you tough it out and look for THE dress that matches every need and go crazy in the process?

Re: Solutions for F-G cups in wedding gown?

• Options
    I have the same problem as you. It's so tricky. I actually purchased a strapless gown (it's not in yet otherwise I would have posted u a pic to see)
    I opted to go with a corset back dress (I'm a huge lover of corsets, great for support) and a strapless bra. The bra is actually to give me the "separate boobs" look and the corset will keep everything exactly where it should be. 
    We are "ren faire" people so I've learned through experience corset is usually my safest way to go. If the dress starts to loosen through the night a few tugs on the strings will have me right back where I want to be. I also ordered 3 sizes larger than needed to make sure I would have the proper coverage. 
  • Options
    I'm the same bra size.  

First, I searched for dress lines that carried dresses with straps.  Allure, Maggie Sottero, Moonlight, Stella York were 4 that were in my price range that did.  I then sought out stores that carried those lines.  

Find a shoppe that carries larger sized sample dress (10-16), and that has consultants that help you choose dresses.  

I ended up trying on a few strapless (They give you a big schpeil about how alterations matter more than straps.  That may be fine and true, but I still preferred a non strapless.)  I bought a dress with straps  that I won't be able to wear a bra with and will trust the sewn in cups and alterations to hold them in place, but I tried on quite a few from that I could have worn a corset bra with.

They will order your dress to fit the largest part of your body, so if that's your bust, they'll take your measurements and should have you sign on if you agree.
  • Options
    Thanks to both of you!  I know about the whole script they give you about alterations.  I wear lots of dresses, and have had most tailored, so it can be frustrating when the consultant really wants to put you into dresses you know aren't going to work and then says straps can be added.  I'll definitely give the corset back another look!
  • Options
    Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!!!
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2016

I'm a larger FF, with an hourglass figure...  The most important thing is proper fit - toss your perception of size out the window and go try on long-line bras to get a properly fitting one.  If it's properly fitting it will not ride up, curl, or slip down.  I got mine from David's and the disadvantage is they're a cheaper design so don't last and once they're worn out, toss it and get a new one (metal boning lasts FAR longer but it's also spendier).  If I was smaller I'd also go to Nordstrom's or there are a number of places that only sell the long-line/hard to fit bras (not thinking places like VS here)..

There are dresses out there that aren't low/open back, you just have to be firm about that being your requirement.  While I like the look of corsets, quite honestly, I prefer the faux corset because FF - that's why!

• Options
    So I have come across a great option, at least for my body and what I'm needing.  I decided to take the advice of many of you and just go try things on with an open mind, even if it's strapless.  I found a Modern Trousseau dress (Mina) that I loved for many reasons, but I wished it had straps.

As it turns out, this particular designer is very happy to work with almost any changes a bride would like to have made to a dress.  Incorporating straps into the dress was no big deal.  I really had no idea that designers would be so flexible.  In addition to the straps, they are bringing up the skirt slightly and removing the pleats and knot in the front.  The dress I was looking for existed after all and I have no idea what I was losing my mind over.

Thanks, everyone!

• Options
    What a gorgeous dress!!!! Love it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards