Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Not in love with my dress.

I bought my dress at Davids bridal in October and had it delivered a few weeks later. I just recently tried it on for the first time and I don't like it nearly as much as I did. I'm not sure if I should risk getting alterations or just cut my losses and buy a new dress. The main issue is the top. I only have pictures of me in the dress sample from my first appointment. Anybody have any honest opinions or suggestions for alterations to fix the top without ruining it? I'd like the neckline to be lower and possibly off the shoulder or strapless. Thanks for the help!  

Re: Not in love with my dress.

• Options
    I think it is a beautiful dress. I personally like dresses that aren't strapless so I wouldn't do that. You could probably have the neckline lowered a bit (again I don't like really low necklines). I think the shape of the neckline is very flattering so wouldn't change that. If your dress that you bought is too big in the bust, as this one looks like it is, you will probably feel better once it is altered to fit correctly. Good luck.
  • Options
    This is a beautiful dress, and it looks stunning on you.  With regards to alterations, there's always the possibility you will like it less after the straps are gone and the neckline is altered, and then you're stuck with a dress that can't be returned or resold.  As it is now, if you really aren't happy with it and you can't return it, you can potentially re-sell it (probably at a loss, but some $$ is better than no $$).

If it's a matter of fit, as BeachMusic suggested, take it to a seamstress or a tailor you trust for a consultation.  Find out what can and can't be done, and what someone with the right knowledge and tools thinks.

Or, if you have time, why not make another appointment to go look at other dresses before making a decision?  There's no rule that says you have to buy what you try on.  Take your dress with you, or at least pictures of you in YOUR dress (not the sample!) and try some strapless dresses on with different necklines.  You may find a new one you love, and you may not.

Good luck!

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    I think that dress looks gorgeous on you! I don't think it would work as a strapless. I would take it to a reputable seamstress and ask about taking some fabric away from the top. 
  • Options
    Thank you! I don't like strapless typically either. I think originally I thought the neckline was unique but there is something about it that is off to me. Overall it is a beautiful dress and the rest of it is perfect. 
  • Options
    I have an appointment on Friday to try on a few dresses and I'm bringing mine as well. Hopefully I'll feel better after that. Thanks again to all! 
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Beautiful dress!

I would talk to a seamstress and ask what could be done. I am no professional, but on wedding shows I've seen where brides have added/removed straps or slightly changed the neckline, such as adding or removing a bit of fabric.
  • Options

If you don't like the dress, you don't like the dress, simple thing is replace it.  That said - there's one advantage this dress has over a strapless and that is gravity - you aren't at any point going to be yanking to pull the dress up!  I "get" what you mean in your description - The only thing I can think is alterations to make the shoulder be at the corner tip of the shoulders instead of where it is laying now.  Talk with the Alterations Dept. at the David's and they may have some ideas since they're familiar with working with that particular dress.

• Options
    It looks like the cups are too big in the picture, does your actual dress have the same problem? To me it just looks like the fit is off and the seamstress would be able to fix that. As PPs have said try it on with a seamstress, without her doing any alterations and see how you feel. 

You maybe be able to open up the neckline and make it more of a v-neck without too much trouble. I wouldn't make it strapless; dresses are made with particular structures and often times there isn't enough to keep the dress up if it was designed to be held in place with straps. 

Also, I think it's gorgeous!
  • Options
    I think the neckline is odd. Go to a tailor other than davids and see if they can pin it to show you what it could look like. I think if it had more of a v/sweetheart instead of...whatver that is... it will be perfect. I will say the dress is very flattering on you.

• Options
    looking at the photo the neckline can be lowered to some extent, as for strapless wont work as the dress needs the straps for structure. if you are having second thoughts do a dress retry on at david's or skip davids and go to a local bridal salon and see what they can sell you off the rack at a discount.

i love the dress just the way it is 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards