Chit Chat
Options

Anyone have experience with "low-dose" B/C?

Title really says it all. I just tried a high-dose one (Levora) that turned me into a raging, hormonal mess for 2 months. My doc offered up a low dosage B/C, which apparently can solve these mood issues. But then she says--and I quote-- "it's a low-dose though, so you should consider using back up"

Uh, what? What's the point of a birth control that doesn't always work?

Maybe I'm just late to this whole "low dosage" thing, but I've never heard of this kind of pill. Maybe I'm getting it all wrong. But it sounds to me, based on my conversation with my doc, that it just *may* not work and there's really no way of knowing if it does or not. :|

I'm not a huge fan of the pill in general, but I tend to get cysts. Completely harmless but annoying little things. I'd like to avoid another ultrasound bill next year, but not if it means being on a semi-effective pill. Anyone have experience with this sort of B/C? Would you recommend?

Re: Anyone have experience with "low-dose" B/C?

• Options
    I used LoestrinFe for about 6 months when I was 18. I was not a fan of HBC so decided to stop. DH (then BF) and I always used condoms also because we were a little paranoid and did not want to get pregnant at that point. However, it wasn't at the suggestion of my OB, just what we decided.

• Options
    I've been on "ultra low dose" BC for years (20mg or less).  I have never been told that I should or need to use backup.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    I've used a few of the low dose B/C options, without ever needing backup.  From my understanding, they are still fairly effective.  I'd look into (or ask your doctor about) the actual effect rate for the specific medication she wants to put you on.

• Options
    Hmm, that sounds odd. When I was on HBC, it was a low-dose pill, and my OBGYN never said anything about it not working as effectively as other HBC. In fact, I thought the whole point of low-dose BC was that it was the lowest amount of hormones that was still effective?

My only thought on why she may say that is if you are not really good about taking it at the same exact time every day, maybe the fact that it's low-dose means there is less room for error?

I would definitely follow up with your doc about that, though.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Theoretically, it's the progesterone only pills you need to take at the same time every day.  With the combination pills, you don't HAVE to take the pills at the same time every day, but it's recommended that you do.  I take my pills at 5am during the week and between 7 and 10am on the weekends.  Knock on wood, though...  It's just easier for that to be the first thing I do when I wake up in the mornings.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    I've been on Tri-Sprintec for about 10 years and I think it is considered low dose. I have never heard that low dose means less effective but I'm not a doctor. I started taking mine because of cysts and I haven't had one since I started it. In 10 years probably 8 or so being sexually active I haven't gotten pregnant though I do typically use a second method as well b/c I don't always take it at the same time each day and I like the extra security in case one method fails. It does also help my acne which is a nice benefit and my period is much lighter and I don't really get cramps anymore just a little bloating. My cramps before bcp used to make it so I had trouble walking until they would pass. So overall I like it. 

Only issue which may not even be related to the pill is that I do have a much lower libido that what I'd consider normal. I've heard birth control can cause that and I never really noticed it as an issue until living with DH. I know it could just be me, I'm planning on going off soon so I can update you if I see an improvement. If that is caused by the bcp that's my only complaint though. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've been on a version of Loestrin (Junel FE) for many years, and have never had to use any backup. 
  • Options
    @emmaaa @climbingwife That's actually the EXACT name of the pill she mentioned prescribing, Loestrin. I've tried Loestrin years ago when I was a teenager but can't remember how I felt on it. Good to know it's working for you ladies.

@madamerwin maybe that's why she said it? Although I've never said anything to the doc about taking it inconsistently/having trouble taking it at the same time every day.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I know this OBGYN office tends to err wayyyy on the side of caution. Maybe my doc's suggestion is a product of that mindset. This is the same office that, just 2 years ago, instructed me to wait "at least 1 full month" before ditching my back-up when starting the pill. The fine print of the pill pack's instructions said 7 days was sufficient.

So yeah, maybe it's just my doc.  :#
  • Options
    She might just be covering her ass since they aren't 100% effective - nothing is. I would follow the instructions to the letter though.
  • Options
    Despite the fact that most studies have shown that BC does not contribute to weight gain I gained 15 pounds that I could not seem to lose while on the pill, and then shed it very easily within a few months of getting off of it. According to the internet doctor most BC prescribed these days is low dose, and the alternative is ultra-low dose: http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/low-dose-birth-control-pills

I was on ultra low dose birth control for probably two years or so before I switched to Mirena. I did not get pregnant on the lower dose. I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice, but the impression I got from reading the instructions on my ultra low dose BC (I think it was lo loesterinfe) was that ultra-low dose is more sensitive to missed pills than regular dose BC. We've probably all read those instructions that tell you that if you miss a pill one day you can take it the next, but if you miss two pills it's time to use the contingency plan. With ultra-low what I remember is something to the effect of if you miss a pill in the morning you need to take it that night or use the contingency plan. 

Anyway, I recommend having a dialogue with your doctor about this. Doctor's generally will prescribe what they are familiar with and what has been pushed by their pharma rep. I recall getting on a pill that sounded like the name of a Disney princess and literally having night terrors while on it. Turned out that was a side effect of this particular pill. I called my doctor and got switched very quickly. 
  • Options
    Theoretically, it's the progesterone only pills you need to take at the same time every day.  With the combination pills, you don't HAVE to take the pills at the same time every day, but it's recommended that you do.  I take my pills at 5am during the week and between 7 and 10am on the weekends.  Knock on wood, though...  It's just easier for that to be the first thing I do when I wake up in the mornings.
    Yeah, my last pill was a progestin only pill and they told me that there was only a 2-hour window to take the pill.  If I was more than a couple hours late, I should use backup methods for a while. Most estrogen pills have a little larger window of error, usually a day or so, but some doctors still suggest erring on side of caution.

• Options
    I'm on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen-Lo and have been for about 6 months this time around. I was on it for 2 years before I switched to the shot for 3 years. I take mine between 9 and 9:30 every night. Its easier for me to remember to take them at night than in the morning. I love being on this pill. I was only told to use backup when I was switching from the shot to the pill and then after that, it was up to FI and I.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I also take a low dose HBC- Alysena (generic Alesse). I thought most of the newer HBC pills were designed to be low dose?

I have never had a doctor tell me I *must* use a second form of BC because the pill is less effective. I did when DH and I were younger/dating because I was NOT about to get pregnant.

I find if I do not take the pill at the same time every day, I will spot. I used to take my pill in the morning when I got up. M-F it would be around 7am, on the weekends it wasn't until 10am or later. Even though I never missed a day, I would still spot somewhat regularly. I talked to the pharmacist and that is what he suggested, so I started taking it in the evening- no issues now!
  • Options
    I'm a rule follower and I take mine (Mirvala) at 1800 every night and use an alarm on my phone and watch to remind me. I was warned that there was a higher chance of unplanned pregnancy with low dose BCP but usually it was related to user error. The most common error would be forgetting to take or allowing too much time between doses. If you are someone that can reliably take pills on time, I think you are likely in the conditions fail rate of 1-2%. Keep in mind that other routine medications and taking antibiotics can really mess with BCP.
  • Options
    Despite the fact that most studies have shown that BC does not contribute to weight gain I gained 15 pounds that I could not seem to lose while on the pill, and then shed it very easily within a few months of getting off of it. According to the internet doctor most BC prescribed these days is low dose, and the alternative is ultra-low dose: http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/low-dose-birth-control-pills

I was on ultra low dose birth control for probably two years or so before I switched to Mirena. I did not get pregnant on the lower dose. I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice, but the impression I got from reading the instructions on my ultra low dose BC (I think it was lo loesterinfe) was that ultra-low dose is more sensitive to missed pills than regular dose BC. We've probably all read those instructions that tell you that if you miss a pill one day you can take it the next, but if you miss two pills it's time to use the contingency plan. With ultra-low what I remember is something to the effect of if you miss a pill in the morning you need to take it that night or use the contingency plan. 

Anyway, I recommend having a dialogue with your doctor about this. Doctor's generally will prescribe what they are familiar with and what has been pushed by their pharma rep. I recall getting on a pill that sounded like the name of a Disney princess and literally having night terrors while on it. Turned out that was a side effect of this particular pill. I called my doctor and got switched very quickly. 
    Ok, there is NOTHING funny about night terrors, but something about the way that was worded made me laugh. Probably because, yeah, they try to name every pill like it's supposed to be a flower or something, but for lots of women it just causes horrendous side effects.

This past pill I was on made me go haywire on completely random days. I would literally feel furious for no reason, and anxious about anything and everything. Got into several HUGE blowout arguments with my boyfriend that made 0 sense. I was NEVER more relieved when my doc called me and said "well, you don't have to be on the pill for cysts...but you can if you want."
  • Options
    I have been taking Loestrin24FE (I think it's now called Minastrin) since I was 9 after losing one of my ovaries to cysts. I actually just did a trial last year under supervision to see if my cysts returned while off the birth control and I absolutely hated the way not taking them made me feel and was back on it in a month. I've never been told to use a second form of BC.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @ericasm0703 it's called Minastrin now? Wow. My doc told me it was taken off the market completely. 

But hey, at least this pill clearly works for you. When you say "hated the way not taking them made you feel", do you mean the cysts returned and were painful? Or you just felt off?
  • Options
    driddrid member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2016
    I haven't read the whole thread yet... But I'm on LoLo. I have PCOS so super hormonal birth control is highly suggested for my symptoms, but I was having the craziest mood swings on normal BCP. Like mood swings bad enough that it was causing problems in my relationship, I would go from happy as could be to bawling just because of the way FI happened to look at me. It was really tough and I tried to tough it out for almost a year before I decided enough was enough. Technically, I don't need a BCP for actual birth control but I'm finding it helps my symptoms just enough while keeping me semi-regular and giving me not
    mood swings. My Dr first gave it to
    me as a sample (in Canada) so
    it might be pretty new? It seems to be working for me though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    emmy7272 said:
    @ericasm0703 it's called Minastrin now? Wow. My doc told me it was taken off the market completely. 

But hey, at least this pill clearly works for you. When you say "hated the way not taking them made you feel", do you mean the cysts returned and were painful? Or you just felt off?
    I had a few tiny cysts that started to develop and I broke out pretty bad, but mainly, I was an emotional wreck. Overall, I felt off but there were a few times where I was a raging asshole over nothing (one night at the firehouse, it was over a mistaken pizza order). Luckily people understood and cut me some slack, but I hated it and told the doctor that I'd be on BC forever if it meant that I wouldn't act worse than a toddler throwing an epic tantrum.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards