Wedding Etiquette Forum

Invite to Engagement Party but not Wedding?

Hi there, we are now planning a small family only destination wedding. Between my fiancé and I we have 40 coworkers (including their +1s) that have been hinting that they expect to be invited. We specifically have not been discussing wedding plans around them besides announcing our engagement. We would really love to celebrate with these people but it would increase our guest list 200% and at $400+ per person (all inclusive weekend) we cannot afford that. Can we host an engagement type party for these people in town if we specifically state that our wedding will be family only? Or should we call it something else? Or forgo it all together. We found a restaurant in town that would host for about 50++pp and we can afford that for the party. Then theres the issue of gift? We don't want people to feel obligated since they aren't invited to the wedding but I know some people would want to give us something. We don't want to offend anyone, we just want to celebrate. 

Also, none of our family lives in town, so no one going to the wedding would be at this party. Figured that will help avoid confusion. 

Re: Invite to Engagement Party but not Wedding?

• sa397784 said:
    Hi there, we are now planning a small family only destination wedding. Between my fiancé and I we have 40 coworkers (including their +1s) that have been hinting that they expect to be invited. We specifically have not been discussing wedding plans around them besides announcing our engagement. We would really love to celebrate with these people but it would increase our guest list 200% and at $400+ per person (all inclusive weekend) we cannot afford that. Can we host an engagement type party for these people in town if we specifically state that our wedding will be family only? Or should we call it something else? Or forgo it all together. We found a restaurant in town that would host for about 50++pp and we can afford that for the party. Then theres the issue of gift? We don't want people to feel obligated since they aren't invited to the wedding but I know some people would want to give us something. We don't want to offend anyone, we just want to celebrate. 

Also, none of our family lives in town, so no one going to the wedding would be at this party. Figured that will help avoid confusion. 
    Nope, don't do it. Your co-workers shouldn't be fishing for an invite to your wedding, and you shouldn't host something like this if they're not invited. People need to get over not getting an invite which I'm sure most of them will do pretty quickly.
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2016

No - do not invite them to your engagement party if they're not invited to the main event. 

What you can do is a "Celebration of marriage" gathering after the wedding when you return for them (you can arrange to have invites sent the day of your wedding) - but none of the typical wedding things (you in your dress, cake cutting, dance, gifts)...  And, you could schedule this any evening so not limited to just a Saturday which may help take your costs down. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards