Honeymoon Discussions

Zika help?!

With Zika prevalent in the caribbean my fiancee and i are considering canceling our punta cana honeymoon and looking elsewhere. Any suggestions for non-caribbean locations?! We were hoping for a beach vacation, ideally all inclusive.

Thanks!!

Re: Zika help?!

• You will probably have a hard time finding an all inclusive location in a country that is not having problems with the Zika virus.  

Are you immediately going to start TTC or are you currently pregnant?  I would speak with your doctor to see what s/he recommends.  I think where most all inclusive resorts are, the Zika virus is/will be an issue.  Even many states are predicted to have issues with the zika virus this summer.   

I think the CDC has a list of states where they predict zika will be.  Maybe that could be a good resource for finding a honeymoon destination.  If you are truly concerned, you may need to find an alternate type of vacation spot.
  • If you are TTC, I think you are smart to avoid the Caribbean.

I might suggest you visit your local travel clinic to discuss the risks/benefits of travelling to the affected area and your plans.

Have you thought about Hawaii? I know that all-inclusive is hard to find in Hawaii, but it does exist.

• When are you going?  Bermuda is beautiful, but no all inclusives that I'm aware of.
  • tigerlily6tigerlily6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2016
    Ditto to PPs saying to check with your doctor. And I agree that, at least so far, the Pacific states like Hawaii or California seem to be struggling with Zika less (although that could easily change). If you are really concerned, but still want a beach honeymoon, that's where I'd probably look. 

I definitely understand being scared by Zika, though. It's been making me rethink some potential travel plans also. My FH and I have no plans of TTC immediately after we get married, but we'd like to within about a 12-18 months afterwards. We've been invited to a wedding in Colombia next summer, and even though I may not be pregnant at that time, I'm not sure I'm comfortable going if we would be TTC shortly afterwards. While the virus is supposed to leave your bloodstream within a few weeks after any exposure, they don't know exactly how long it lingers in semen, but it seems to be longer. I'd rather be safe than sorry. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Hawaii, but it will be a lot more expensive
  • Crete has some all inclusives, as does Turkey. 
  • TyvmTyvm member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Yes, actually, the entire Greek Islands might be a good bet. There were plenty of all-inclusives in Crete, my parents ended up in one outside Chania. And I've been to one on Rhodes. Airfare is a bit pricier to get there, but once you're there things aren't that pricey.

Plus, SANTORINI!!!

k thnx bye

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards