Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Using plug adapters overseas

We are going to Italy for our honeymoon, and I've never been overseas before, so I know we need to get some adapters since the electric plugs are different. A friend of mine told me when he went to Italy, even using an adapter, his razor got totally fried and ruined, so he recommended I get a cheap blow dryer, flat iron, etc. so as not to risk ruining the nice ones I use on a daily basis. But then that got me worried about using pretty much anything else, especially phone and computer chargers and things like that. If we get a good quality adapter, should we be OK, or should we be prepared with backup electronics just in case?

Re: Using plug adapters overseas

• Options
    We used an adapter to charge our phones and tablets and had no problem. We rented an apartment that thankfully came with a hairdryer, so I didn't need to worry about that. 
  • Options

You'll need an adapter and converter. the voltage is different than here in the US, so even if you have the right prongs on the plug, the voltage differences can burn out the electronics.

I have a converter I've been using for years, but I am in the market for a new one. It's kind of bulky and it does not allow me to use a three-prong plug.

• Options

You'll need an adapter and converter. the voltage is different than here in the US, so even if you have the right prongs on the plug, the voltage differences can burn out the electronics.

I have a converter I've been using for years, but I am in the market for a new one. It's kind of bulky and it does not allow me to use a three-prong plug.

This sounds like the solution I needed. My friend might have just had the adapter. Thank you! We have booked a homes through Air BNB, so I'm not sure if they'll provide things like a hotel would, but I'll look into it and see if I can get away with not bringing one.
  • Options
    Just check the voltage on whatever electronics you're hoping to use and compare with what voltage Italy's outlets can accommodate. In the UK I was fine using an adapter only with my phone charger, laptop, straightener and curling iron.  I knew my U.S. hair dryer would need a voltage converter, so I just left it at home and used the hotel's hair dryer. 
    --

• Options

You can't buy just a regular adapter that changes the plugs. It has to be one that actually converts the power voltage amount. Without changing that, you risk frying any type of item you buy. IF you are going to buy new items, buy ones made for travel with dual voltage. There will be a little button or switch that allows you to switch it from 110 to 220. You still need to buy the plug convertor. It's a great investment for travel equipment because you'll be safe to use it anywhere. I've attached some links for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Voltage-Folding-Handle-Dryer/dp/B00006IV22/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1461784631&sr=8-3&keywords=travel+hair+dryer

http://www.amazon.com/Tourmaline-Ceramic-Voltage-Smooth-Straightener/dp/B00GPKNK2Y/ref=sr_1_6_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1461784749&sr=8-6&keywords=dual+voltage+flat+iron

And a device like this can be handy for any other items you may need to charge like your camera or phone

http://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Travel-Voltage-Converter-Charging/dp/B00MSTG93S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1461784817&sr=8-2&keywords=dual+voltage+converter

• Options
    I burned my hair using my curling iron overseas.  DH is an electrical engineer, and he was disgusted with me for being so ignorant.
    Check the voltage on the item you will be using.  It will be listed on your appliance or device.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    We have a couple we bring when traveling (so we can both charge!).  Of the two we have, I like this one.  I have a hot air brush, and when I used one of our other converter/adapters, it ran really funny and gave off a burning smell.  I used the other converter/adapter and it worked ok.  
  • Options

Plug adaptors are for making the appliance fit the plug. Convertors adjust the electricity to the right voltage. Most personal grooming appliances (even if they are rated for 110/220) don't do well going to another region. Electronics like cell phones/laptops/iPads are fine.

I'd recommend leaving the grooming items at home and investing in a cheap straightener/curling iron/blow dryer in Europe. That is what I did on my first trip over and it has served me well.

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the links and recommendations. After talking to a few friends, I'm probably going to follow their and your advice, leave my grooming stuff at home and get a cheap straightener in Italy. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards