Honeymoon Discussions

Debating Honeymoon Locations

We're planning a June honeymoon and having trouble deciding on locations. We want to relax on the beach, swim in the ocean and pool, and then possibly do some exploring or adventuring like biking, snorkeling, or hiking. We'd also like to avoid long flights, so we're thinking the Caribbean or Central America. FI would like All Inclusive, but I think we'd be fine without it. 
Ideas we had: 
Belize- Ambergris Caye
St Lucia- All Inclusive
Turks and Caicos?
Bonaire 
Martinique

We're up for other suggestions and more specifics (like stay here, don't stay here). 

Re: Debating Honeymoon Locations

• What is your budget and for how long do you want to go? That will be a huge determining factor.

Also, St. Lucia has a few non-AI options, or even partial AI. But, it's not known for its beaches at all. Neither is Ambergris. Turks is the place to go for beach, but it's not a great place to hike (then again, Ambergris is not good for hiking either, but you can do a jungle stay in Belize as well.) I do not think you'll find many resort options or good flights into Martinique.

• Not sure where you are, to determine a long flight or not, but aside from AI's, you just described our last trip to the Big Island in Hawaii.  Lots of people biking on the highway, we snorkelled, scuba dived, hiked, swam with dolphins, did the Volcano and hung out at the beach and pool.  But like I said, Hawaii doesn't have AI's, so if your FI is set on that, you'll have to go outside of the US

• I'll second that Ambergris Caye is not good for beaches.  It was full of seagrass - I hated it and never went in the water once.  We stayed in Bonaire too, and our hotel really had no beach - people got into the water by a pier with steps.  Not ideal (though it is a great location for scuba diving if you're into that!).

Most importantly, though - what is your budget?  
  • Going to guess by your screen name that you live in Mass. So majority of the flights to Caribbean will be about 4-6 hours. Your budget will be a big factor because some of those places you listed like St. Lucia will cost you double than Mexico/ Jamaica/ DR.

• WesternMA0516WesternMA0516 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2016
    Yes, we live in Mass, so Caribbean or Central America is where we are leaning for flight time. Budget is kind of wide- if we can get reasonable airfare (dates are flexible) we can go with a higher price per night. I'm aiming for under $400 a night but with flex if there's all inclusive option or cheaper flight.
    Thanks for the advice of the beaches not being great in Ambergris Caye or Bonaire. I didn't realize that. 
    Weve been to Mexico and wanted something new to us. 
    We loved St. John. Anything similar out there? 
    I recognize that St. Lucia and Turks and Caicos are more expensive, but did see some travel packages that were in budget. 
    Thanks for your help so far! 
  • Yes, we live in Mass, so Caribbean or Central America is where we are leaning for flight time. Budget is kind of wide- if we can get reasonable airfare (dates are flexible) we can go with a higher price per night. I'm aiming for under $400 a night but with flex if there's all inclusive option or cheaper flight.
    Thanks for the advice of the beaches not being great in Ambergris Caye or Bonaire. I didn't realize that. 
    Weve been to Mexico and wanted something new to us. 
    We loved St. John. Anything similar out there? 
    I recognize that St. Lucia and Turks and Caicos are more expensive, but did see some travel packages that were in budget. 
    Thanks for your help so far! 
    So, how long would you like to go? $400/night for 5 nights vs $400/night for 10 nights is a big difference. 

Also, does $400/night assume all inclusive? Or is it $400/night plus food and activities? 

• JoanE2012 said:
    I'll second that Ambergris Caye is not good for beaches.  It was full of seagrass - I hated it and never went in the water once.  We stayed in Bonaire too, and our hotel really had no beach - people got into the water by a pier with steps.  Not ideal (though it is a great location for scuba diving if you're into that!).

Most importantly, though - what is your budget?  

That is good to know. I saw that area on one of those HGTV Island Life/Beachfront Bargains/House Hunters type shows and it seemed like a nice area. Crappy beaches would be a turn off for me
  • What about Aruba?  Tons of resorts with crystal clear water and beautiful beaches.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We are trying to figure out where to go as well, we live in NH.  I had my AAA agent give me a couple quotes.  Costa Rica was really well priced.  Turks a little pricey but it looks beautiful there.  Aruba was very expensive.  Hawaii was more reasonable than expected but long flights.  My ideal trip would be to the British Virgin Islands, have been to St John and we would like something similiar :)  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards