Nevada-Las Vegas

Outdoor weddings at night: The lighting conundrum

What are YOU doing for lighting? What did you do?

We just realized that our wedding has been scheduled for after sunset for an outdoor ceremony (Skyline Terrace at the MGM Grand). So now, we're trying to figure out lighting options. We've been warned that the lighting, although adequate for casual hangout, is pretty dreary otherwise. (@Adverb was a gem and gave me the rundown, but she also described it as being like porch lighting.)

So, now we're looking at easy lighting solutions.

Are candles acceptable (tealights?), or is that a big no-no when you're in a hotel?

I'm thinking about stringing a bunch of lights around the patio deck. Do you think that using white Christmas lights would be too tacky or should I jump on white-stringed patio lights? (Would anyone even care as a guest?) 

Is anyone familiar with lighting rental companies in the Vegas area? Is it more headache than it's worth?

Re: Outdoor weddings at night: The lighting conundrum

• Maybe think about flameless tealights? (like: http://www.amazon.com/Operated-Tealight-Flameless-Christmas-Thanksgiving/dp/B000K6BQW0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1460927440&sr=8-2&keywords=fake+tealight+candles) 

In my experience, they don't last super long, but they should be long enough for a reception.  That would let you arrange them however you prefer, unlike string lights, but no risk of fire!

• MeridianLVMeridianLV member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2016

It can get pretty windy up there on those terraces at MGM, and I've seen hurricanes with tea light candles that won't stay lit because of wind. Electric is probably a better idea. 

I've actually seen people use electric tea lights inside small, round glass globes filled with some kind of silica-based balls that were soaked in dyed water overnight to expand and color (purple, they were).  They didn't put out very much light, but they were a nice touch.  There are probably more powerful LED lights that might brighten up a space better with similar effect (probably using AAA or AA batteries).

• xoedenxoeden member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    You girl both have excellent ideas!

I'm half tempted to consider buying some lights at Wal-Mart the day before, just to have 'em on hand. We'll see. In the meantime, I'm thinking LED tealights and some cute coil lighting for along the railing. I've got 5 months to plan, so I'm sure I'll come up with something!
  • xoedenxoeden member
    @Adverb has saved the day again for me and sent a video from her wedding that showed the lighting on the terrace.

It's not nearly as dark as I was expecting, and I know the stand-up lights can be repositioned a bit. I have already ordered some string lights and tabletop up lighting for the bar and table areas on the deck to give a dash more light, so I think we'll be set.

Still thinking I might explore tea lights as just an added bonus.
  • adverbadverb member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Aww no problem @xoeden

Always happy to help.

If anyone else is curious I'm happy to upload it or send a link. However, if you're reading this post October 2016, I'm sure @xoeden will be writing a very detailed report about what worked and didn't ;)
  • xoedenxoeden member
    adverb said:
    However, if you're reading this post October 2016, I'm sure @xoeden will be writing a very detailed report about what worked and didn't ;)
    Oh, you know it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards