Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wedding registry, baby registry, housewarming registry...

And now graduation registry! This post is from a former coworker who is an event planner. She's promoting "dorm parties" with registries so that everyone can help buy grads their sheets and towels.

Thoughts?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Wedding registry, baby registry, housewarming registry...

• Options
    I think that it can pave the road to hell.

But I know that after I graduated, people did get me stuff for my dorm and luckily there were no duplicates.   

It seems to be more of a "problem" in search of a solution but I do understand that a post HS grad party is a time that the graduate might get stuff for the dorm room. 
  • Options
    I mostly got cash for graduation - I don't think I got any boxed gifts, actually! My mom bought one of those "dorm boxes" - it came from an ad that might have been included with our class ring stuff, or maybe our cap/gown supplier. You got to pick your colors/pattern and it had sheets, towels, some basic kitchen stuff, school supplies, etc. I am pretty sure it cost like $400 or something crazy!
  • Options
    Our graduation was at the end of our Grade 12 year and we had another year of high school left so most of us didn't get "Grad Presents" or "Grad Parties". Kids up here take a gap year, so they don't really do "Grad Parties". I don't know if it will really catch on. 
  • Options
    I mostly got cash for graduation - I don't think I got any boxed gifts, actually! My mom bought one of those "dorm boxes" - it came from an ad that might have been included with our class ring stuff, or maybe our cap/gown supplier. You got to pick your colors/pattern and it had sheets, towels, some basic kitchen stuff, school supplies, etc. I am pretty sure it cost like $400 or something crazy!
    We bought one of my cousins a bunch of dorm crap for her graduation.  Several of us went to BB&B and bought what we liked and used in the dorms, all pitched in, and individually wrapped each plastic cup and toothbrush for our baby cousin.  Mostly I gift cash for graduations.  Buy your own sheets and towels.  Damn, entitled much?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I mostly got cash too, which was nice because I could pick what I wanted or needed (plus it helped pay for my books). That said, graduation registries can be used or abused like any other. Just like with a wedding registry, don't put the information on the invitation.

I should add that I graduated high school more than 20 years ago, even before baby registries were a thing.
  • Options
    I guess I don't hate it. As long as it's not on the invitation, if I found out the grad had a registry, I would maybe get them something from it. I wouldn't call it a "dorm party," though, call it a graduation party. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Individual graduation parties aren't a thing in my area (there are usually a couple big group after-parties the same night as prom), so it all seems a little foreign to me. I got cards & cheques from my parents, grandparents, and godparents when I graduated.

If boxed gifts are the norm I don't see the harm in a registry, but her advice to put it on the invitation is obviously a no-no.
  • Options
    lnixon8lnixon8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I get being thankful for any gift but buying stuff that you (general) like for someone else's dorm seems weird. Unless you are super close to know the graduate's personal style AND what type of dorms there are it is strange.

I was happy I got money graduating from high school but never had a party or sent announcements so it was just from grandmother, aunts, unles, close family friends. I could spend my money on super functional, space saving target stuff instead of glamorous pottery barn comforters that would have been ruined by my disgusting college student self.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Yuck. I see it as a solution to a potential problem. My graduation party wasn't huge (20 or 30 people maybe?) and I got 99% cash as gifts. But, like weddings, if you have a huge family of people who like giving boxed gifts you could end up with a lot of duplicate/useless/not-your-taste stuff... The parents and grad-to-be could set it up privately and share it with anyone who asks about giving a gift. 
    As long as "grad showers" aren't around the corner...

ETA Wait... is your event planner friend actually promoting two parties, one for graduation and one to get dorm gifts!?!

• Options
    In our area, grad parties are the norm. I had never heard of them until moving here 30+ years ago. That being said, my kids mostly received cash and gift cards. One friend gave DD towels but knew her favorite color. I usually give a BB&B gift card. A registry sounds a bit over the top.
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I don't like the idea of throwing a "dorm party" specifically to receive gifts/stock up on all of your college needs.  That being said, I do bring a gift when I attend a graduation party, usually cash, but if I heard through word of mouth that there was a registry of the graduate's must-haves, I'd happily buy a gift from there instead.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm thinking maybe this is one of those regional things. Graduation parties for my area are mostly luncheons held in the afternoon after graduation, and tend to be casual cookout type things. I can't remember where we went but I think we just went out to lunch after (siblings and parents). All the cash I got was in cards that were mailed to me - I think my mom sent announcements to our extended family and the church we were going to at the time.

@thisismynickname, I think (hope) she was saying to include the dorm registry on the grad party invite, but then again, the more parties people host the more she can plan, so maybe not! She's really good at her job; I've always loved how her parties turn out. Seems like she might be good at the marketing side of things too haha!
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I've been to a couple grad parties- not super common in my circles. If they are done, it's usually a BBQ at someone's home or going out for a meal. Cash is sometimes given (IME, usually by family).

Although there is nothing inherently wrong with a registry, I would side eye it if a registry were listed on the party invite. If I'm close enough to want to give you a gift, I'll give cash or ask what would help.
  • Options
    I had a grad party for high school graduation, and I rarely even had birthday parties. It was a couple of weeks before graduation, and people coordinated them so there weren't too many on the same day. They were definitely common in my area, and it made more sense to me to celebrate an accomplishment rather than growing a year older (I throw some kick ass b-day parties now, though...for others, of course ;) ).

But...no, I didn't register. Some people gave me cash/gift cards, some gave boxed gifts, some gave nothing...all were fine, I wrote my thank you cards, and the cash was a nice jump start for freshman year. Registering seems odd to me for that type of occasion.

• Options
    Grad parties are the norm - especially for those kids who gave everyone a nail-biter to get there!  But the registries for this, that, and the next thing - Just NO!
  • Options
    Big graduation parties are normal for me. But most people bring cards with cash or small gifts  (planners, laptop cases, stuff like that). I think it's really weird to register for your dorm.
  • Options
    I had a joint grad party with my close friends from high school. It was mostly friends who are invited and very few family. Most gifts were gift cards. I had to buy my own dorm items. 
    A registry seems a bit entitled. You know at some point you will be going to college. Most kids have jobs in high school. Save your money. 
    I don't think I would buy something off a registry for a grad party. Maybe a gift card to bb&b. But that's just to be polite. 
  • Options
    Many grads go miles away from home and transporting bulky gifts is tough. Money or gift cards make better sense. I make a point of sending care packages on "just because" occasions and "mad money" toward the end of the semester. Registries? Please.
  • Options
    Many grads go miles away from home and transporting bulky gifts is tough. Money or gift cards make better sense. I make a point of sending care packages on "just because" occasions and "mad money" toward the end of the semester. Registries? Please.
    And they have at least one roommate, so there's only so much space to work with. I had three roommates my first year.
  • Options
    "Register at the local store and then add that on your invite!"

httpiimgurcomalAx0zMgif

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards