Registry and Gift Forum

House fund

Good morning!  I am sure this has been asked before but here we go. My fiancé and I have been living together for almost 4 years we have everything we need. With us paying for the wedding our house fund is going down. What are the rules and feelings about having a house fund on the registry? And what are good sites to use? Thank you

Answers

• Yep, no registry needed.  If you don't do a traditional gift registry (or do a very small registry), most people will get it and give cash, which you can put toward your house fund.  If people ask, you can say that you are saving for a house to help direct them in that direction. 

But, money registries are generally considered tacky... and none of them allow you to receive 100% of the given amount.  Many guests don't realize that.  If I'm going to give you money toward your home, I'd rather write you a check so you receive 100% of the value, instead of giving through a registry site that keeps 2-5% of my gift.

• Please don't. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • So what you are actually saying is that you used your savings for your shelter on your wedding (instead of money above and beyond your house fund), so now you want to tell your friends and family to replenish your savings for you - essentially paying their own way for the party that is supposed to be a thank you to them.  See how that comes off?

Everyone knows cash is great. Just don't register and you'll most likely get it and then graciously accept any physical gifts you happen to get as well.  Easy peasy and without the tacky undercurrent of asking people to pay up for the party.
  • Please do no set up a cash registry. Just do not set up any registry and people will get the hint. If they ask, offer up that you are saving for x/y/z.

• levioosa said:
    ernursej said:

Please do no set up a cash registry. Just do not set up any registry and people will get the hint. If they ask, offer up that you are saving for x/y/z.

This.  People are not dumb.  They know cash is a great gift.  

As a real life example:  SO's sister was going on vacation.  Her birthday was also coming up.  We were going to give her a nice gift. But then she called us up and said, "Hey, since I'm going on vacation, don't get me a gift, just give me cash instead."  I was seriously astounded by how rude that was.  We were going to get her something useful for her trip (perhaps an REI gift card, even), but that made me furious.  It was just so rude to dictate how my gift should be given.  Housefunds/honeyfunds, etc. are basically the same thing.  
    Ugh.  I would have gotten her a $10 bill.  Whereas, if she hadn't made that incredibly rude phonecall, I probably would have given her a $100 gift or giftcard, or even a check.
  • Don't register for cash.  It's rude.  

If people choose without direction to give you cash as a gift, you can use it as you see fit.  But unless you want packaged physical gifts, don't register.
  • jh715jh715 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Just don't register for anything. We received primarily cash/cheques, and the few boxed gifts we got were either super thoughtful handmade items, or things that we wouldn't have known we'd love beforehand.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards