Wedding Woes
Options

Car fight

Dear Prudence, 
We recently upgraded our old station wagon to a brand new car. My stepson, the eldest, is in community college, so we gave him the car. This turned out to be a big mistake. He celebrated by getting drunk with his friends and backing the car into a barn. He lost his license for six months and was sentenced to community service, while we had to pay damages. The car was still serviceable, so we gave it to my daughter, who will be attending college across the state in the fall. Now they are fighting over who gets the car. My husband is soft on his son (and doesn’t want to be bugged for rides), but I don’t see why my daughter should be punished for that. We want you to be the deciding factor. What do you think?

—Whose Car Is It Anyway

Re: Car fight

• Options

Dear Prudence, 
    We recently upgraded our old station wagon to a brand new car. My stepson, the eldest, is in community college, so we gave him the car. This turned out to be a big mistake. He celebrated by getting drunk with his friends and backing the car into a barn. He lost his license for six months and was sentenced to community service, while we had to pay damages. The car was still serviceable, so we gave it to my daughter, who will be attending college across the state in the fall. Now they are fighting over who gets the car. My husband is soft on his son (and doesn’t want to be bugged for rides), but I don’t see why my daughter should be punished for that. We want you to be the deciding factor. What do you think?

—Whose Car Is It Anyway

Yes, I'm sure you just HAD to pay the damages.  I mean who else could....
  • Options
    If they've given the car to the daughter, I fail to see where the fight is occurring.  They've already done it.
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    If they've given the car to the daughter, I fail to see where the fight is occurring.  They've already done it.
    That was Prudie's take. 
  • Options
    Definitely agree with PPs. If you back into a barn & lose your license because you were driving drunk, you lose the car. Sorry not sorry.
  • Options

Dear Prudence, 

—Whose Car Is It Anyway

Yes, I'm sure you just HAD to pay the damages.  I mean who else could....
    But Dad doesn't want to be the bad guy, kimmi. Come on!

• Options
    Seriously?  Give the responsible daughter the car, tell the son tough luck--he backed a car, while drunk, into a barn, and luckily not a person.  He can find his own damn rides, and while he's at it, he can get a job and pay them back for the damages.  

• Options
    Sounds like dad needs to learn about the concept of tough love.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards