Wedding Woes

Wednesday!

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited May 2016 in Wedding Woes
How's it hanging?!

Three things:

1.  DH went to the hospital to visit our friend's daughter.  We're lucky to have a top-rated children's hospital locally, but she's in Peds ICU.  So I guess there was some emergency with the baby next door to her, plus she's in the condition she's in, so DH was very shaken up when he got home. Poor guy. 

2.  The kiddo is a great kid, with wonderful qualities, but he's a slob and can be lazy.  I am about at my limit of him giving zero fucks (like trashbag time...all the shit goes in the trash).  We don't keep a perfect house, but we also don't treat it like the trash dump he thinks his room is.  The things getting me through are a) he leaves Saturday for 2 weeks at SIL's before we join him for a week and b) I am making plans in my head for his room when he moves out.  It's going to be a pretty office with beautiful floors.  :D 

3. My drunk aunt, whom I never see and has seen my child...twice?, made a stupid comment on my FB page about DefConn's hair (he has shoulder length blonde hair...it's been long since he was a baby and at this point, it's just part of his personality) and getting him a 'boy' haircut. I shouldn't let it bother me, but gah...I want to say something snarky or delete it.   But in the interest of not starting drama over FB fuckery, I won't.  My mom even called me first thing this morning and was all, "Don't look at FB!"  LOL  Update: She deleted her comment.  Good.  

BUT! It's pre-K graduation day for DefConn! :D  I cannot wait for the cuteness.  

I cannot believe how much better our house and drive looks with the driveway sealed.  I need to go take after pics and then do a side-by-side comparison.   

Even though I have to work this weekend, I'm excited that BIL and SIL are coming to stay.  My nephew is a little over 4 months old and this is the best time because their little personalities start to show.  :D 

Re: Wednesday!

• Ugh @mrs.conn23 drunk aunt should just keep that to myself. My cousin had shoulder length hear for most of his time growing up. I think he finally cut it off what he was a sophomore or freshman in high school. People would say crap like that to my aunt all the time. People suck. 

Also, I was the messy kid for a long time. It used to drive my mother insane. She never did the trash bag thing, but waited until I broke something I really cared about because I had thrown a pile of clothes on top of it and forgot about it. Then refused to pay to fix it until I saved enough money to do it myself. Message stuck and I'm not the neatest person, but I definitely never let my room get super messy again. 

Home projects start today. Yesterday I think we spent more time in Home Depot and Lowes than I have collectively spent there in my entire life. We picked paint colors and since HD is doing a Memorial Day sale ($10 off gallons, $40 off 5 gallons If anyone is painting) we bought enough to do the whole house. It has been painted in years so we're doing all the rooms. I just hope I picked the right colors. 
  • Awww, DefConn!  Happy graduation day!  And FWIW, his hair is adorable.  (If we grew DS's hair out, it would pretty much look like this: )

httpsqphisquoracdnnetmain-qimg-d133df780b4307bf4fdb9b44f4a8d76bconvert_to_webptrue

And yay for new(ish) baby goodness!

Took DS to the park yesterday while Wooz was at art class, and he had the best time.  I was pushing him on the swing and he was just giggling with glee.  :)  I felt bad that we didn't have more time to spend there, but with traffic there and back to art class, we just barely made it in time for pickup.

I have a meeting at 10:00 that is always horrible.  Not looking forward to that.

Tonight Wooz has swim practice and I'm taking DS to the kiddie pool. 

DH kept me up too late with BCBC last night.  It was fun at the time, but I am paying for it this morning.  [yawn]

• Oh, and since Wooz has her heart set on an American Girl doll, I asked which ones, and she threw out a few names.  One was last year's girl of the year (Grace) and is now retired, one is the current girl of the year (Lea).  So I was browsing around online, and Lea has something to do with Brazil and the rainforest:  she swims, hikes, and loves animals, which sounds a lot like Wooz.  So I guess we're going with Lea.

My mother will be thrilled.  She and my aunt actually collect American Girl dolls, as grownups, and when Wooz was born my mom was dyyyyyyyying to get her one of those Bitty Baby dolls they make.  Then Wooz turned out to be more of a stuffed animal kid and never played with dolls, so it never happened.  They have an AG store in Charlotte now, and I'm worried that my mother may wipe them out.  :)

S/O Wooz and hiking, I'm taking July 5 off and she and I are having a Mom(my)/Wooz day.  (That Monday is July 4, and she and DH leave for Space Camp that Wednesday, so it wasn't really worth signing her up for a camp for one day.  Plus my birthday is the following week, and we get a floating holiday for our birthday to use the week before/during/after.)  We haven't been to Chimney Rock in a while, and TBH with their elevator down, it would a tough trip with DS, whether he hiked it or we carried him in the backpack, which he is almost too big for anyway.  (I just checked, and it's 499 stairs to the top of Chimney Rock, and another 330 to the trail above it.)  So she and I are going to hike it, just the two of us, that day.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    This kid walked in the pool yesterday and he had DefConn's hair.  It was sooooooo cute!

We got our first pool day in yesterday.  Our sunscreen must be bad because despite applying before we left and reapplying at breaks, the boys shoulders are burnt and a little of 6let's back.

Two hours until the allergist.  I'm just HOPING there is a quick and easy answer.  I'm going crazy.
  • Good luck @6fsn, hopefully they'll have some answers, and relief, for you. 
  • Good luck, @6fsn!  I hope you get some relief this afternoon.  If they're doing a scratch test, I recommend Benadryl gel and lots of OTC allergy pills.  My testing was done on my back and it was brutal (but I'm apparently allergic to everything).

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Good luck, 6.

Today is the last day of school and I'm so glad.  DD2 had her preschool program last night.  Saying she is now a kindergartener is strange but not nearly as panic-inducing as saying Son will be a sophomore.

• That would be great @thefanciestbeckler keeping my fingers crossed for you! I have no idea what that's like (I spent a few summers away but we saw each other every few weeks) it's got to be really tough. 
  • Our house hunting has been fruitful. We have 2 potentials and are going to go look at them with our parents tonight. But there is a definite possibility that we will be making an offer on one of the houses tonight.

I have no desire to be at work today. I would rather be anywhere else.

I really need to get back to wedding planning. I've been slacking and not wanting to do it lately.

Good luck @6fsn

@thefaciestbeckler - I hope your H does get to come home this weekend :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Good luck 6!
    I feel ya, @thefanciestbeckler! I was on tour for 7 months and didn't see FH from christmas break until we moved half way across the country in April. It was Rough! We almost didn't make it.

Guys, my doggie is sick. Yesterday, he was a wild and crazy guy, running around, eating and drinking normally, just being a happy little dog. Once we got home, he started to seem odd. Like we were eating pizza in the kitchen and he was laying in his kennel, not normal. He didn't want to get up to come to bed but eventually did. Then I heard him get up at 5am and start puking. He puked again around 7 and 9am. He is tender around his abdomen and pretty lethargic. I am taking him straight to the vet after work. I hope he is just constipated and it isn't more serious. I am so sad when my little guy doesn't feel good.  :'(

• @missJeanLouise :hugs: to you and your doggie.  I hope he feels better.  It sucks when pets get sick because they can't tell you what's wrong and you feel so helpless (I do, anyway).  He hasn't flown yet, has he?

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I'm finally not feeling like crap today, so hooray for that. 

We have a trip to AR planned for this weekend to mine for diamonds, so should be an adventure. Wolverine is really excited. Hopefully the weather will cooperate, but right now it doesn't look promising for Saturday. 

DK has an in-person interview tomorrow. Based on feedback so far, seems like it might be promising. Sounds like it will be similar to his current job, but a little more management, and they didn't seem fazed with the minimum salary range he gave, so also promising. Hopefully whatever the outcome, he's happy. I also threw him a few jobs with my company that are Chicago-based. I don't know about the option for either of us to work virtually in that scenario, but they are offering relocation, so that would help. (Technically I could work from a home office all of the time, i just don't know if they would let me.)

• @mrs.conn23 re: PICU - we spent three days there when DS was a baby - it changes a parent...  The ones that really got me and drilled it long past our own experience happening were the babies/toddlers that had no one there for them and were alone the entire time - no one to hold their hand, no one to comfort them (other than the staff)..

Ugh - just got word that a former coworker and wedding guest of ours passed away.  Started working at the same time as DH for his Dad and just an all-around good guy, and only 54yo..  The IL's asked I make a flower arrangement (I'm sure they're going to be generous with the memorial so it's a "spend a little less on the flowers to DIY than ordering from a florist" type situation) to deliver tomorrow..  SO - my plans for today changed a bit, but not a negative as it'll be personalized (this must be why I took all those Ag classes in school!).  At least it's raining out so it's not like I was going to do more yard work (worked on the landscaping all day yesterday - and does it show - NOPE!).. 

• @AtomicBlonde Thanks, and no he hasn't flown yet. We are supposed to leave friday. I hope he isn't so sick that it will prevent it, though obviously his health come first. FH marked his calendar as No Travel so he will be able to stay home with the dog if need be.
  • Glad you're able to get some relief, @6fsn
  • 6fsn said:
    And I have a diagnosis!  Dermographism.  Basically my body makes histamine, whenever my skin is scratched or marked or "traumatized" my body has mini allergic reactions.  He took the little black thing usually used to look in ears and noses and drew it down my arm. While he listened to my lungs big red Xs appeared.  There is no known cause, but 5% of people have it.  It will probably never go away, but it's controlled by Zyrtec.  So, at least I'm not allergic to something I love!
    ZOMG - that sounds horrible. Hopefully the Zyrtec helps.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    And I just realized that I'm basically allergic to myself, which is something I love. 
  • @6fsn I'm so glad to hear you have an answer and can now get relief! A few years ago, I learned (the hard way) that certain foods/environments (still unknown) coupled with an elevated heart rate cause me to go into anaphylactic shock. Basically, I'm allergic to exercise. I think the triggers are potato or apple products, but I've been too cowardly to experiment. I often use it as an excuse to not go to the gym. The human body is weird.

--Philip Pullman

• @6fsn I'm so glad to hear you have an answer and can now get relief! A few years ago, I learned (the hard way) that certain foods/environments (still unknown) coupled with an elevated heart rate cause me to go into anaphylactic shock. Basically, I'm allergic to exercise. I think the triggers are potato or apple products, but I've been too cowardly to experiment. I often use it as an excuse to not go to the gym. The human body is weird.
    @AtomicBlonde - are you by any chance in the Philly area? If so, sorry for my H almost killing you...

DK used to work for a company where a woman was deathly allergic to apples. Even walking by a trash can with a core in it could be enough to set off a reaction. His first week there, he's sitting in the cafeteria eating an apple and gets accosted by a coworker who was like, "ZOMG, WHY ARE YOU EATING THAT?! GET OUTSIDE, NOW!!!" After she hustled him outside she explained about allergic co-worker, but if it was that bad, why in the world wouldn't they have said something to him when he started? (They didn't need to say who, but :"BTW, we have an employee with a really serious allergy to apples, please don't bring them into the office." wouldn't have been unreasonable.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards