Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

First Dance Songs- Alternative Music Songs

My fiancé and I both love pop-punk/rock type music. Bands we're into include: Blink-182, My Chemical Romance, Silverstein, Four Year Strong, etc.
We really want a first dance song that is "us" but we are having a very difficult time finding one. Everything is either too sad, too fast/hard to dance to, etc.
Some songs we have considered were:
1,2,3,4- Plain White Tees (would be hard to dance to)
Your Guardian Angel- Red Jumpsuit Apparatus (my fiancé thinks it sounds too sad since it is in a minor key)
Looking for suggestions on similar type songs that would be easy to dance to as well as mood-appropriate :)

Re: First Dance Songs- Alternative Music Songs

• "You & Me" from Lifehouse
    "I'll Be" Edwin McCain
    "Crash Into Me" Dave Mathews
    Goo Goo Dolls probably have a lot of good options, but I can't pinpoint one off the top of my head.

Anniversary
  • I'd pick something to slow dance to rather than something that's your favorite song/genre. Once you start looking more at the tempo than the genre, I'm sure you'll find a song you both like.

The sentiment in The Only Exception by Paramore is slightly iffy for a wedding, IMO, but it's punk and it's slow and there are some beautiful instrumental versions of it out there.

I'm considering Ingrid Michaelson's The Way I Am. Not punk, but not exactly traditional. Maybe look over by it in alt-land more than punk to find something a little more danceable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • donethatdonethat member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    And remember - if it's just a matter of knowing how to dance to your favorite song, you could always go to a dance studio with your song, and get some ideas/instruction to make it work for you!  

• Hoping I don't zombie this post, but our first dance is to "I'll Follow You" by Shinedown
    They're a good some-what alt band. They have slower songs you may like.

Check youtube. You may get some ideas at least.
  • Jack Johnson - Better Together is sort of popular. It's more folk than alt, but it might work for you.
  • We're doing "Tangled Up In You" by Staind

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I found He is We by All about Me ft. Owl City. I am on the hunt for a song similar to this. My fiance and I listen to the same bands you listed. Let me know what you come up with!!
  • We like similar music to you and we used You & Me by Dave Matthews Band for our first dance song.  Its starts off nice 'n slow and picks up for the chorus.
  • Coheed and Cambria- Wake up. Thats what we're dancing to!
    Or, Shinedown- Follow You, but that one is more fast paced.

• Coheed and Cambria- Wake up. Thats what we're dancing to! Or, Shinedown- Follow You, but that one is more fast paced.
    That was our first dance!
  • Thanks everyone for the replies! We have decided on With Me by Sum 41.
  • We're doing "Tangled Up In You" by Staind
    Omg so are we!! We are doing the acoustic version with just him singing though because there is a version with a woman and it makes the flow of the song seem weird to me. 
  • Every Thug Needs a Lady by Alkaline Trio...acoustic version!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards