Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Need makeup advice!

I don't remember the last time I wore makeup, and I have no idea what looks good on me anymore. I could also use some (cruelty-free) brand recommendations. My skin has become more sensitive as I've gotten older, and as you can see from the photo, I tend to get a red face easily.

Re: Need makeup advice!

• Please excuse the closed eyes. My eyes are brown, and my hair is rapidly going grey, if that helps at all.
  • If you have an Ulta in your area, go there. They are super helpful and only mildly intimidating with their perfect faces. They'll help find you products and try them out on your face. I've never been to a Sephora but I think they're similar.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • TyvmTyvm member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    So, I've been pondering getting a 'Stowaway' starter kit (first learned about it from Reading my tea leaves: http://www.readingmytealeaves.com/2016/03/spring-cleaning-with-stowaway.html   )  They're small-sized, for those of us who don't tend to use all our makeup up before it expires. It's also cruelty and an assortment of whatever else -free, "paraben-, -phlalateand cruelty-free". Yeah. That's what I was looking for.

Worth a try?

k thnx bye

• @ShesSoCold, we do have Ulta but I haven't been in a while. I'll have to make a trip.

@Tyvm, that sounds right up my alley. I wear makeup very rarely and hate throwing things away.
  • lnixon8lnixon8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Ditto @Shessocold

Last time I went in to ulta I overheard someone ask (a little sheepishly almost) that she wanted cruelty free and the person working said "Honestly, it would be almost harder to find makeup that wasn't cruelty free- it's 2016!"

Are you asking exclusively for wedding makeup advice? Not trying to push wearing makeup on you (you're gorgeous!) but bb or cc cream could do wonders for you. Its not thick like foundation instead moisturizes, provides sunscreen and will balance out the redness. Its the one things I put on even if I don't leave my house and I've even got my brother hooked on it! Garnier is my favorite brand but I also like rimmel or clinque ($$)

• First, you are beautiful.

I also recommend a bb or cc cream, if you're worried about redness.  I'll use it when I am feeling especially self-conscious of my red spots (I, too, turn red easily).  I think I use Almay.

My makeup artist for my wedding recommended a line you can get at Target.  It's called Pixi.  I have only used the mascara but OMG I LOVE IT.  When I have a little bit more petty cash, I'll probably invest in the whole line.

I've never been to an Ulta or a Sephora, but it can't hurt to talk to someone.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I would also recommend trying beauty counters. I think MAC used to be cruelty free ... that might have changed but Clinique is (although owned by Estee Lauder who does). If you are doing your own makeup, I would recommend trying styles early and often. I only wear a BB/CC type cream and mascara so I would be horrible at doing my own makeup.

Check out this list (although old) for companies that don't test on animals:

http://www.globalanimal.org/2010/12/06/companies-that-dont-test-on-animals-resource/26156/

• justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I second a trip to Ulta, if nothing else you can try out products to see what you like before actually buying them (and they often have travel sizes of their popular products). Sephora is similar, but has more expensive products, Ulta is a mix between higher end and drugstore items (and I like their rewards better). I second a nice BB cream, I use this one all the time and I love it. I put a little powder on top because it can be a tad moisturizing and I don't like to look shiny. My mom also struggles with redness and I bought her a green-tinted primer from smashbox to put under her foundation on days she is wanting to cover it up. 

I got really into make up a few years back, I watched a lot of youtube videos to find answers to questions I had about how to do things with my face/eye shape (i.e. eye make up for hooded eye lids, how to cover pimples best, best way to help chapped lips, etc.) There are a lot of great videos out there with easy suggetions, Wayne Goss and Tati are my two favorites, Emily noel just did a series about easy eye looks I think. 
  • edited May 2016
    Thank you for the compliments! Made me smile.  :)

@lnixon8 and @AtomicBlonde, I don't like wearing foundation but I know I need more than concealer and powder. A BB or CC cream sounds like a good balance of the two. The sunscreen is great too! 
  • I don't like wearing makeup, in general, and I do find that foundation feels heavy and sometimes cakey (depending on the brand).  I really like how light and airy the BB/CC cream feels, and that I don't need to use a lot of it.

Oh, and another tip I learned!  I had a breakout the day of my wedding (not huge, but it was there), and my makeup artist spread a little Vaseline over the area, before applying the makeup.  I was stunned at how flawless the look ended up being, and she said it was all because of the Vaseline.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I don't like wearing makeup, in general, and I do find that foundation feels heavy and sometimes cakey (depending on the brand).  I really like how light and airy the BB/CC cream feels, and that I don't need to use a lot of it.

Oh, and another tip I learned!  I had a breakout the day of my wedding (not huge, but it was there), and my makeup artist spread a little Vaseline over the area, before applying the makeup.  I was stunned at how flawless the look ended up being, and she said it was all because of the Vaseline.
    Good to know about the Vaseline! I get stress- and hormone-related breakouts, and good stress still counts as stress!
  • You have great skin! I would stay away from foundation and try out something from Bare Minerals. The powders are light enough to feel like you aren't wearing anything but it doubles as a concealer for any stress blemishes that may surprise you the morning of and take away any redness. You want to show a little bit of natural rosiness so again, I wouldn't put a foundation all over. A little moisturizer and some mineral based powder (they say you can sleep in it, that's how much better it is for your skin than traditional foundation). I've never tried a BB or CC cream that covered a blemish well enough, they're great for evening skin tone but if something does pop up I would have a concealer handy just incase. If you go that route. 
    Also, stay away from blush, it will just bring out more redness, I would brush a very light bronzer (Bare Minerals makes a good one or Physicians Formula at Target) where you would normally put blush, the crease of your cheeks when you pucker and maybe lightly over the apples of your cheeks. 
    For lips I like the Sugar lip products, they will give a little shine and color but they're not sticky and they will leave your lips healthy and moisturized. I highly recommend The Lip Treatment in Rosé. Burt's Bees pomegranate chap stick will give a similar tint and is good for your lips as well! 
    If you want to do an eye shadow I would choose a matte or satin in nude, light brown or taupe with a brown or black mascara. 

What is Fi's beauty plan? Is she into makeup? 
  • edited May 2016
    I adore Burt's Bees, @bohobrideca!

FI wears makeup more often than I do, and her coloring is similar to mine, but she doesn't flush as easily. She rarely breaks out but can be very sensitive, particularly to fragrance. We both have combination skin.
  • justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    If you are looking for a good concealer check out the maybelline fit me, it works fabulous and stays for a long time if I set it with a powder. I have never heard of that Vaseline trick, added that to my mental bank!
  • You have to be very careful, When choosing make-up for your sensitive skin.  Make sure that the product meets all safety criteria, notably in terms of being hypoallergenic and dermatologically tested. Also, remember to look out for the words “Nickel Tested,” which indicates that the product has been formulated to minimize its nickel content and hence the risk of allergic reactions.
  • You have to be very careful, When choosing make-up for your sensitive skin.  Make sure that the product meets all safety criteria, notably in terms of being hypoallergenic and dermatologically tested. Also, remember to look out for the words “Nickel Tested,” which indicates that the product has been formulated to minimize its nickel content and hence the risk of allergic reactions.
    I've never had issues with a nickel allergy, but that's good to know to look for it in cosmetics as well as jewelry. Thanks!
  • Sorry I know that this is a bit of an old post but I would check out Elf, they're completely cruelty free, all online and really cheap but good quality, even their brushes are great! The only thing I've heard bad things about them is that the foundation and concealer can have like an orange tinge to it.
    As PP said Bb cream is great for light cover or to make foundation not as heavy put foundation on the back of your hand then put moisturiser on it, mix and apply it works wonders! If you're doing your own makeup youtube is great for tutorials and reviews as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards