Wedding Invitations & Paper

I'm undecided about save the dates.

Hey guys!!!
I have a bit over a year before I get hitched! And I've been looking at these save the dates :smiley:  I would like something that stands out for this announcement.  I came across a couple of save the dates from etsy. 
I like this one! I think it's really cute and original:https://www.etsy.com/listing/271114816/save-the-date-wedding-invitations-canvas
I like another one too! Very rustic: 
https://www.etsy.com/listing/289125441/wood-save-the-date-magnet-wedding?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=wood save the date&ref=sr_gallery_16
Beside these two choices, I guess i would opt for a custom-picture magnet.

Any thoughts?

Re: I'm undecided about save the dates.

• lnixon8lnixon8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    You might want to include a location, just city and state not necessarily the name of your venue.

• Thank you for the reply!  What have you guys used as save the dates?
  • Definitely an emergency. The wrong STD and your whole wedding is down the tubes.
  • geebee908 said:
    Definitely an emergency. The wrong STD and your whole wedding is down the tubes.
    And it's not like there's an "Invites and Paper" board that this would be more appropriate in.
  • TyvmTyvm member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I hated the wood STDs because the whole "he stole her heart, she's stealing his name" thing makes me vaguely nauseated.*
    HTH, and good luck with your emergency.
    * ETA:  when I went to close that window, I saw that the same shop also had such winners as "He asked, and she said 'It's about time!'" and "Mr. Right"/"Mrs. Always Right."  (All signs, obviously.  because signs.)  Did I access their page via the wayback machine or something?
    *gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag* At least the wood magnets are recyclable, once you remove the magnet, eh?!

OP, we designed our own Save the Dates and printed them on cardstock at home. It doesn't have to be fancy, and you don't even need Save the Dates! Consider sending them to just out-of-town must-have guests, so they'll be able to arrange vacation/transportation as necessary. There were going to be bridal showers hosted a wee bit early (5 months prior to the wedding), so the Save the Dates made sure the shower guests knew they were invited.

k thnx bye

• We designed our own, emailed to people who were tech savvy enough, and printed them on normal paper and mailed them to anyone we weren't sure would get them online.  They're optional and just about getting information out, so we kept it as cheap as possible.  We did mailed invitations for everyone though.
  • I bought a custom stamp and ink on Etsy and then ordered paper. It ended up being cheaper than most we looked it and it make it possible to do add more later without having to order more sets of STDs.
  • LD1970LD1970 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Vistaprint magnets with a photo that a friend took while we were in the process of getting engaged.

I will not ever, under any circumstances, shop at Etsy.  They treat their truly handmade sellers like shit, and since they charge a transaction fee which would give them some of MY money with any purchase, and since I don't want a dime of my money going to Etsy corporate, I don't shop there.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • OP keep in mind that weight and shape will affect the cost of your postage. I found out the hard way with our invites and ended up spending a bit more than we wanted on postage b/c it was considered odd shaped which bumped it up a weight class...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you so much for your replies guys! @marriedhamstermom you bring up such an important point!

• @KnotRiley, can we move this thread to Invites and Paper?
  • edited May 2016
    Double post. Grr.
  • Skip the Save the Dates - too many brides have come here with horror stories of needing to cut the guest list, date/venue change this far out, relationship status with a guest change, etc.  Just say no!
  • Save the dates are a very new idea.  They are not required, but it  is required that everyone who received an STD from you must be invited to the wedding.  No wiggle room on this one.  I wouldn't send them any sooner than six months out from your wedding.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2016
    CMGragain said:
    Save the dates are a very new idea.  They are not required, but it  is required that everyone who received an STD from you must be invited to the wedding.  No wiggle room on this one.  I wouldn't send them any sooner than six months out from your wedding.
    You wouldn't, but sometimes people do need more than six months' notice to make time-off arrangements, like when it has to be scheduled at the beginning of the work year.

Also, I've known people who are always planning trips, cruises, vacations, and camp for their kids a lot sooner than six months in advance,so if you wait to six months out to send an STD, that's too late.

So I don't agree that waiting until six months before the wedding date to send STDs is always appropriate - especially when the whole point of an STD is to get people to save that date, no matter how far away it is. 
  • TyvmTyvm member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    So I don't agree that waiting until six months before the wedding date to send STDs is always appropriate - especially when the whole point of an STD is to get people to save that date, no matter how far away it is. 
    @Jen4948 We sent our STDs out...about 10 months prior to the wedding? It's a DW for about half our guests, and there were bridal showers happening ~5 months prior to the wedding, which then made it super necessary to have them out to all invited Bridal Shower guests. I don't think the "6 months prior" is really a rule, so much as a suggestion.

People probably won't get offended by an early STD, but they might forget.

k thnx bye

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    Tyvm said:
    @Jen4948 We sent our STDs out...about 10 months prior to the wedding? It's a DW for about half our guests, and there were bridal showers happening ~5 months prior to the wedding, which then made it super necessary to have them out to all invited Bridal Shower guests. I don't think the "6 months prior" is really a rule, so much as a suggestion.

People probably won't get offended by an early STD, but they might forget.
    True, they might forget, but they also might forget even at 6 months. 

But depending on their individual situations, 6 months might not be enough advance time. That's why I said I don't agree that it's always appropriate to wait until then -- sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2016
    If you are talking about a destination wedding in a foreign country, or a wedding over a major holiday, I do agree that 6 months might not be enough time.  It takes two months just to get a passport.

Sorry, but I tend to forget about these, since destination weddings are also rather new.  No one in my extended family ever had one.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Jen4948 said:
    CMGragain said:
    Save the dates are a very new idea.  They are not required, but it  is required that everyone who received an STD from you must be invited to the wedding.  No wiggle room on this one.  I wouldn't send them any sooner than six months out from your wedding.
    You wouldn't, but sometimes people do need more than six months' notice to make time-off arrangements, like when it has to be scheduled at the beginning of the work year.

Also, I've known people who are always planning trips, cruises, vacations, and camp for their kids a lot sooner than six months in advance,so if you wait to six months out to send an STD, that's too late.

I would need more than 6 months to get time off work, even if it's a regular, weekend wedding. I appreciate the habit most people have developed of sending STDs 10 months-1 year out, but I wouldn't make a fuss or anything if it was less than that, I would just likely need to decline unless I was absurdly lucky.

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    Jen4948 said:
    CMGragain said:

I would need more than 6 months to get time off work, even if it's a regular, weekend wedding. I appreciate the habit most people have developed of sending STDs 10 months-1 year out, but I wouldn't make a fuss or anything if it was less than that, I would just likely need to decline unless I was absurdly lucky.
    So would my ex-BF. We took a trip together once that had to be planned about 9 months in advance and at first weren't sure he could get the time off, because his employer requires everyone to schedule vacation time at the beginning of the year, including for vacations at the end of the year. If we were invited together to an out-of-town wedding without enough advance notice, he also would have to decline because he wouldn't have been able to take time off from work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards