Not Engaged Yet
Options

Fleet Week AW: My Brother Came to Town!!

Good morning! My week was insane! If you remember, my brother came to town for fleet week!

On Wednesday, the ship came in and there I was at the piers, waiting and burning for hours lol. The thing said it started at 10, and a combination of never wanting to be late for anything and needing a good view got me there at 9, but the ship didn't arrive until 1:30. So that was fun.

Here I am, rejoicing in front of his ship as it pulls into the Harbor!

He wasn't allowed to leave the ship that day, and I was exhausted and sunburnt, so I left around the time my phone started to die. The next morning, Thursday, I got up early and went back to NYC to hunt him down on the ship. I had two options, he could pick me up at the gate and sign me in, or I could tour and hope to see him. I couldn't reach him, so I got on for a tour and there he was at the entrance!

And I took some cool pics of helicopters on the deck

And also this cool beach hovercraft thing

Oh and we told everyone in the Navy for the rest of the week that we are twins because of this pic (that you may have seen on FB if we are friends). We had a great laugh every time someone believed us (I am two years older than him, also I had to blur our last name on his uniform for the internet).

After those shenanigans, I had to go to work so I left him for the day.

The next day, Friday, I met him around 9 after I got off work and we went to the most fun bar I've ever been in, The Mean Fiddler. I don't know if it was fun because of all the hot sailors, or if it was fun because THEY were having so much fun, but it was definitely fun, as evidenced by this picture:

I met his "Liberty Buddy" which is basically the guy he can only leave and return to the ship with. The Navy likes the buddy system. Liberty Buddy was cute and nice and I wanted him to date BF's sister. He also thought in NYC you're supposed to just cross the street without looking both ways first. I saved his life at least twice. Here we are in Times Square.

The next day, Brother and I went to see Tuck Everlasting on Broadway! It was a great show and a low-key night and I took him to Shake Shack for the first time. He liked it a lot and went there multiple times after lol. Here we are during intermission:

On Sunday, it was back out on the town (I was extremely tired by this point, I basically was going from work to the city every day and getting back past 2am every night he was here). We expressed our discomfort by imitating my favorite emoji :unamused: 

This time, BF joined us!

More fun ensued! (sorry the lighting was obviously the worst ever but I like these!) Fun Fact: I have no idea who the guy next to my brother is.

Too soon, it was time for them to end the fun and get back to the ship. We took this parting pic, which I edited the crap out of so we could all enjoy it better:

Sadly, we were supposed to go out again yesterday, but his curfew was shortened from 1am to 10pm because they ship out today, so going all the way to the city would have been a long exhausting waste of time for me. He is not allowed off the ship today so that was the last time we hung out. I miss him already :(

Re: Fleet Week AW: My Brother Came to Town!!

• Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    So glad you got to see your brother! How long has it been since he was last on-shore?

• Options
    @labro he enlisted in October, was in Chicago for boot camp, and has been stationed in Norfolk, VA since that ended. He deploys in February so that will be the first time he will be offshore. I haven't seen him in a year and a half though.
  • Options
    Wow looks like you had such a nice visit with your brother! Looks like a lot of fun!
  • Options
    So fun!!!!! LOL at the darting into NYC traffic to cross the road! and you're a champ for doing work and late nights, I'm sure your brother really appreciated it. Yup, you look like twins- my bro and I get that a lot too!

• Options
    I love these pictures. Your Mean Fiddler picture is hilarious!

• Options
    @jenna8984 he had it worse than me, they work like 16 hour days starting at 4am so I couldn't really complain even though I was practically a zombie during the day lol. And yes I loved Liberty Buddy, I could totally see us being in-laws (BF's sister specifically asked that I bring her a sailor) but playing real-life frogger was a real flaw lol. 
  • Options
    SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Yay! So glad you had a great time with your brother! 

• Options
    Glad you had so much fun with your brother!
  • Options
    Looks like such a fun time!
    friends tv show funy
  • Options
    Sounds like an awesome time with your brother! I'm glad you got to see him!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    It's great you got to see him and looks like you guys really had fun :)
  • Options
    Love the pics, looks like you had a great time!

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards