Chit Chat
Options

Knottie garden post 2016

drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
edited May 2016 in Chit Chat
Fellow Knotties, how does your garden grow?

We put in our tomatos today. Our snap peas and lettuce are ready to eat. Everything else is going strong.

Kale 
Brussel sprouts
Beets
Radish
Carrots
Bush beans
Pole beans
Snap peas
Cucumber 
Lettuce
Broccoli 
Summer squash 
Zucchini 
Tomatoes (so many heirlooms from a local nursery)
Tomatillos 
Strawberry 
Grapes
Various flowers 

Share your pics!

Re: Knottie garden post 2016

• Options
    Totally jealous of all that...I'm in zone 4 and the nights are really too cold for tomatoes and delicate veggies still, but we planted peas, beans, lettuce, kale, and swiss chard yesterday.  I have tomatoes, cukes, and a pumpkin as seedlings waiting to go in the ground.  And we have a new puppy, so she'll try to destroy everything!
  • Options
    The deer ate my peas and green beans and peppers.  I hope the habanero peppers give them indigestion.  The peppers and beans should come back, not optimistic about the peas.  We also have corn, tomatoes, watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries, kale, lettuce, and so.  many.  cucumbers. 

We put pine cones and plastic forks around the smaller plants and seedlings to deter the smaller critters (like rabbits and neighborhood cats, and our four-legged family members), and it's worked for the most part.  The deer, though.  I had just bought the mesh fence stuff, too.  Assholes.  TAKE THE BEGONIAS, NOT THE BEANS!

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    I have so much garden envy right now! We're in an apartment with no yard access, but we're moving to a new place with a balcony at the end of the month. I may try some tomatoes, herbs, and lettuce in buckets on the balcony, but I'm not sure they'll get enough sun. Anyone have some suggestions for low-sun, low-maintenance plants that would take well in a bucket?

• Options
    avocuddle said:
    I have so much garden envy right now! We're in an apartment with no yard access, but we're moving to a new place with a balcony at the end of the month. I may try some tomatoes, herbs, and lettuce in buckets on the balcony, but I'm not sure they'll get enough sun. Anyone have some suggestions for low-sun, low-maintenance plants that would take well in a bucket?

I am growing my radishes in a bucket right now. They lime lors of water and mild weather so I recommend that. I've also had success with carrots in a bucket. Also doesn't need mych sun.

• Options

Garden envy here, too!  It’s far too early to be harvesting anything here; in fact, we had a cold snap a few days ago where we actually got frost. 

2016 is going to be the year of the garden for me.  I have been wanting to put in cedar raised garden beds the past few years, and this time we finally made it happen!  The beds are built and filled with dirt, and I couldn’t be happier!  All that’s left is to finish a little retaining wall sort of thing and then I can actually start planting!  I have a tiny little postage-stamp city yard, and I was able to fit two 20 x 3 foot beds for veggies plus a 5x8 for herbs.

The herbs went in just over a week ago, although some of the more tender ones suffered in the frost even despite being covered.  I have planted (left to right and front to back): mojito mint, spearmint, peppermint, chocolate mint, lime mint, grapefruit mint, ginger mint, cilantro, parsley, chervil, dill, chamomile, marjoram, lavender, oregano, savory, sage, tarragon, thyme, and basil.

I also managed to tame a couple of the out-of-control flower beds that have been running wild since long before I bought the house.  I gave away a TON of day lilies and put in gooseberry bushes and a strawberry patch instead.  In another area, I dug out an unbelievable number of weeds and put in a few nice perennials.

Before:

After:

My partner now teases me about my “geriatric garden friends.”  We live in a corner house in a neighborhood where there is always someone taking a stroll, and all the older folks keep stopping in with encouraging comments.  I am so enjoying beautifying our space and putting it to functional use.  I’m a city lover through and through, but I guess you can take the girl off the farm but you can’t take the farm out of the girl.

• Options
    @SaintPaulGal that looks gorgeous!

• Options
    madamerwinmadamerwin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2016
    Happy gardening! We have a large double lot, and when we moved in, half of it was overtaken by blackberry bushes. The landlord wanted to spray them, but we didn't really want that - we wanted to plant a garden, and didn't want to worry about weed killers and the nasty chemicals. It took us two months to eradicate the blackberries and build raised beds. That was years ago, and now we even have grass around all the boxes!

I'll post pics later, but here's what we have in the ground so far:

Fruits:
    • Strawberries
    • Raspberries
    • Tayberries (a cross between a raspberry and a blackberry)
    • Blackberries (accidental, but they're blooming now so we'll wait to rip them out)
    • Grapes

Veggies:
    • Snap peas
    • Broccoli
    • Kale
    • Beets
    • Butternut squash
    • Yellow squash
    • Onions
    • Garlic
    • Potatoes
    • Ground cherries
    • Peppers (habanero, serrano, jalapeno)

Herbs/aromatics:
    • Parsley
    • Cilantro
    • Dill
    • Thyme
    • Rosemary
    • Fennel
    • Horseradish

Next up: 
    • Tomatoes! We were waiting to see what sprouted up from our garden last year, but I plan to go buy some starts this weekend.
    • H wants to grow watermelon, so we'll give that a shot

ETA things I forgot
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    My yard is definitely my pride and joy. We were late on planting seeds this year but luckily they all sprouted and started developing pretty quickly (thank you Georgia weather!). We've already got a few things in the ground and others in pots waiting to be transferred soon.

Permanent residents -
    Asparagus (year 2, so we can finally harvest next year)
    Rhubarb (year 2, so we get to harvest this year!!!)
    Blueberries (berries ripening now, should be ready for harvest next month)
    Collard greens
    Brussels sprouts
    Green onions
    Sage
    Thyme
    Oregano

In the garden now -
    Colored decorative corn we sprouted from a dried cob
    "Strawberry popcorn" corn
    Sweet corn

Waiting to be transferred -
    Basil
    Heirloom "Cherokee Purple" tomatoes
    Cherry tomatoes
    Dill
    A million and one pepper plants (Thai hot peppers, jalapenos, some other stuff)
    Zucchini

• Options
    edited May 2016
    @SaintPaulGal, I didn't know there were that many varieties of mint!

You ladies are inspiring me! I've been talking about cleaning up the yard and putting in some herbs and wildflowers, but I have yet to do it. I'm thinking it may have to wait until Memorial Day weekend, though, because I worked seven days last week and will work seven days this week (only two hours on each weekend day plus commute time, but still).
  • Options
    Our ground sucks; it's hard clay and the water has nowhere to go. Couple that with low spots, and you've got my current mess. I haven't even had the chance to do anything because it has rained every day that I've been off. I'm hoping that we'll get to do something this year, but I don't know. FI and I have big garden plans, so I'm trying to just wait it out and see what happens.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm jealous.  I've always wanted to have a garden, but I feel like it's already too late (though we usually don't plant up here till after May long) and wouldn't know what to do or where to put it.  I don't think I would know where to start.  I think carrots, peppers, maybe some romaine would be nice, so we could have fresh summer salads.  And maybe peas, cos I like eating those too.  

• Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Totally jealous of everyone with backyards and their beautiful gardens!  #concretejungleproblems :D  I help my dad plant tomatoes in my parents' yard sometimes, but he hasn't done it yet (I guess waiting for it to warm up?).  Lovely photos everyone!
  • Options
    Our last frost was last Wednesday and we will be 82 by next Wednesday, gotta love Michigan. We finally did our gardening this weekend and it's my first so I wanted to AW with you all :)

The first photo is our potted basil, dill, cilantro and spinach (smaller pots are seeds to bring in in the fall). Second photo is the 8'x11' above ground garden my dad and I built.  We have green and yellow zucchini, green peppers, and cucumber but I really am excited about getting some Michigan tomatoes out of that bad boy. 

• Options
    I would like to have a garden. But, we rent and the only space where maybe our landlord would let us have beds is the back of the house which is to the north and gets very little light. I did decide to try growing herbs in pots on the windowsill this year. We're trying basil, thyme and cilantro. I wanted rosemary and dill, but the store didn't have those, so we just stuck with three. I hope they grow well! I'm worried we don't get enough light through the window. We only have one west-facing window and none to the south. 
  • Options
    Okay, I will be jumping in. Making space for the ramp and while my dad had the excavator handy I got him to pull out all the box woods that we hated. Now we are planning to replace them and it's turned into a much larger (although still small as far as yard landscaping goes) project. The biggest thing will be digging and mulching the beds. I will be trying to get that done this week! We'll see how it goes! My cousin works at an ag supply company and gets discounts on nursery stock, up to 50%, so I should be able to get access to bushes and such at a reasonable price. 

Here are our plans... please feel free to critique!

We plan to mulch the entire area under the ramp (all shaded areas are mulched) to prevent dead spots and any weird weed growth, like when dandelions come up through concrete or whatever. We already have a climbing rose bush on our chimney that needs cutting and training, as well as a beautiful azalea bush. Those are both in that little section above the ramp. Everything else is up for grabs!

For flowers/bushes I want something flowering and pretty, but fairly low maintenance. We are in zone 7. So far I have looked up reblooming hydrangea, knock out roses, and rhododendron. Any thoughts or suggestions?

On the veggie garden route, our neighbor had a friend tilling up their garden and offered to do a patch for us. I almost accepted but I think we have enough going on and I don't want a patch of dirt sitting there. Also, H wants to try raised bed/tabletop gardening so he can access it with his chair if needed. We have a paved basketball court in our backyard that we might set that stuff up on. If it goes well maybe we'll add a small traditional garden next year; who knows?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We had a bbq this weekend and I got to serve a salad picked from my garden.

• Options
    Okay, I will be jumping in. Making space for the ramp and while my dad had the excavator handy I got him to pull out all the box woods that we hated. Now we are planning to replace them and it's turned into a much larger (although still small as far as yard landscaping goes) project. The biggest thing will be digging and mulching the beds. I will be trying to get that done this week! We'll see how it goes! My cousin works at an ag supply company and gets discounts on nursery stock, up to 50%, so I should be able to get access to bushes and such at a reasonable price. 

We plan to mulch the entire area under the ramp (all shaded areas are mulched) to prevent dead spots and any weird weed growth, like when dandelions come up through concrete or whatever. We already have a climbing rose bush on our chimney that needs cutting and training, as well as a beautiful azalea bush. Those are both in that little section above the ramp. Everything else is up for grabs!

For flowers/bushes I want something flowering and pretty, but fairly low maintenance. We are in zone 7. So far I have looked up reblooming hydrangea, knock out roses, and rhododendron. Any thoughts or suggestions?

On the veggie garden route, our neighbor had a friend tilling up their garden and offered to do a patch for us. I almost accepted but I think we have enough going on and I don't want a patch of dirt sitting there. Also, H wants to try raised bed/tabletop gardening so he can access it with his chair if needed. We have a paved basketball court in our backyard that we might set that stuff up on. If it goes well maybe we'll add a small traditional garden next year; who knows?
    I love our knockout roses and reblooming hydrangeas. Azaleas are also one of my favorites. Good luck with everything!
  • Options
    We picked our first tayberries of the season last night! We planted them two years ago, and we got a handful of berries last year, but this year the vines are loaded down with berries. They are just so damn delicious.

Raspberries near the top for size comparison:

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

<snip>
    I love our knockout roses and reblooming hydrangeas. Azaleas are also one of my favorites. Good luck with everything!
    Thank you! I decided on knockouts, hydrangea, hostas for under the awning, azaleas, and creeping phlox as groundcover along the ramp. Going to pick up everything Thursday! I also got some kitty-themed ornaments that I'm way too excited about.
  • Options
    I'm also going to put in mammoth sunflowers along our pool fence. I can't decide if I'll plant any this year or just wait until next year. 
  • Options
    We picked our first tayberries of the season last night! We planted them two years ago, and we got a handful of berries last year, but this year the vines are loaded down with berries. They are just so damn delicious.

Raspberries near the top for size comparison:

WOW! That color is stunning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards