Wedding Etiquette Forum

Save the Date Question

How soon should we send this out? I have some family from out of town and want to make sure I do this correctly. Thanks for any advice.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Best Answers

Answers

• TyvmTyvm member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    6-8 months is standard. I sent out Save the Dates 10 months in advance. Only send them to your VIPs, since you still have MANY planning months in which to change your mind on how many people, and who exactly , to invite. 

k thnx bye

• Thank you all so much, there are so many things I absolutely have no clue about. My mom passed last November, so without her I am pretty much lost. I'm sure I'll have many more questions to ask before my wedding day arrives.

glasgowtolondon - September 26th, 2017. Thanks for your advice. I just want to make sure I give everyone from out of town, plenty of time to make plans should they decide to come.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CMGragain - I thought they were relatively new, I don't remember them from previous weddings I had been invited to. I'll make sure that everyone who is sent a STD is also sent a Wedding Invite. Thank you for your help.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • glasgowtolondon - I will definitely be writing this all down. I want to make sure our day is one we never forget, and that we make it as enjoyable for our guests. But the right way  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KahluaKoala - Thank you for your input, it does make a lot of sense to do STD's. I love that this gives friends and family more time to make plans to attend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Amber+Elliot, a STD could also be an e-mail or conversation with people letting them know to 'save the date' for your wedding. We didn't send STDs but when we told people we were getting married, those that we were 100% sure we were inviting were told in their personal message that we hope they would set aside the date.
  • I am very sorry for your loss, OP.  PPs are spot on.  STDs are sent 6-12 months out.  Only give them to people you know for sure you are going to invite, because once you send someone a STD, you are obligated to invite them (obvious exceptions are violence or threats).  On the same note, try not to ask your WP until about 6-8 months out from the wedding.  A lot can change in even a year's time with friends.  We have a ton of people who post all the time about how they asked friends 1.5-2 years out and now regret it because they are no longer close.  

One other thing: while you can send out STDs 6-12 months out, there is nothing wrong with talking to your VIPs and verbally letting them know the date in the meantime.  Ideally you have done this already in order to ensure you have made the best effort possible to have them at the wedding.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards