Wedding Invitations & Paper

Things that should never appear on a wedding invitation

CMGragainCMGragain member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
This is not an April fool joke.  I saw this suggested wording on a respectable wedding invitation vendor site!  Barf!  Bleech!  Gag!

Love fills a lifetime
and a lifetime begins this hour
when the two of us
{Bride First} {Bride Middle} {Bride Last}
and {Groom First} {Groom Middle} {Groom Last}
begin a new life together
Come celebrate with us
as we exchange marriage vows

If you are unable to attend
we ask your presence in thought and prayer.

The woo'in and the courtin's done
Our life together has begun.
and
{Groom First} {Groom Middle} {Groom Last}
request the honour of your presence
as they tie the knot

Love fills the moment
and the moment begins eternity.
We invite you,
our family and friends,
to share in this celebration of love as we,
and
extend the bonds of friendship
to include the vows of marriage

Once upon a time
stars crossed and we met
Join us on our day of romance
when we, {Bride First} {Bride Middle} {Bride Last}
exchange marriage vows

The sun, the stars, the earth
and all of God's creatures
join in His divine plan of the universe
Come celebrate with us one special part
when we, {Bride First} {Bride Middle} {Bride Last}
exchange marriage vows

Two lives, two hearts
joined together in friendship
united forever in love.
It is with joy that we,
and
invite you to share
in a celebration of love
as we exchange our marriage vows

Soon to be Mr. & Mrs.

&
invite you to share in the joy
as they exchange marriage vows

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

Re: Things that should never appear on a wedding invitation

• I don't know whether to laugh, shake my head, or take a cue from our Mississippi-born housemate and say, "Bless their hearts."
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited April 2016
    I repeat my mantra:  Never take etiquette advice from someone who will profit if you take their advice.  It is all about the $$$  One of these sticky, ooey-gooey wordings is touted as being their "most popular"!  (Shudder!)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I don't have a problem with adding a little sweetness to the invitations. In fact, we did it with ours. Did people think it was stupid or too sweet? Maybe they did, just like anybody can find anything cute or sweet to be lame. But it's not like adding those things is wrong etiquette or information wise, so I don't really care if anyone else thought it was stupid. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I feel like some of these went through google translate first. They just don't.....flow right?
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2016
    CMGragain said:
    I repeat my mantra:  Never take etiquette advice from someone who will profit if you take their advice.  It is all about the $$$  One of these sticky, ooey-gooey wordings is touted as being their "most popular"!  (Shudder!)
    Yeah, they're super-gooey, and I agree with you that they don't belong in invitations, but I don't think any Crain's editors are going to clutch their pearls and fall down dead in a heart attack if they see it.
    edited April 2016
    Totally against etiquette?  No.  In very bad taste?  Yes.

Most of these do violate etiquette because the bride and groom never directly invite guests to their own wedding, but it is the poetry that had me gobsmacked.

@geebee908, most of that information is in the stickies at the top of this board.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I also gagged at most of these. I bet the people who use them also use long mushy "vows" like you see on TV.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • adk19 said:
    I also gagged at most of these. I bet the people who use them also use long mushy "vows" like you see on TV.
    You mean the non-vows like, "I knew from the first moment I saw you that you would be the man I'd spend the rest of my life with.  I love the way you make laugh when I'm feeling down.  Your strong arms always make me feel safe.  I can't wait to spend the rest of my life trying to make you happy."  That?  Yeah, that makes me gag too.
    Hahahaha. This is why I'm so glad the vast majority of weddings I attend are Catholic.  You can't change much with that ceremony! (Although "love is patient, love is kind" gets real old, real fast...)

• adk19 said:
    I also gagged at most of these. I bet the people who use them also use long mushy "vows" like you see on TV.
    You mean the non-vows like, "I knew from the first moment I saw you that you would be the man I'd spend the rest of my life with.  I love the way you make laugh when I'm feeling down.  Your strong arms always make me feel safe.  I can't wait to spend the rest of my life trying to make you happy."  That?  Yeah, that makes me gag too.
    Hahahaha. This is why I'm so glad the vast majority of weddings I attend are Catholic.  You can't change much with that ceremony! (Although "love is patient, love is kind" gets real old, real fast...)
    So, I was invited to do a reading at my second cousin's wedding.  I'm an attention whore so I jumped at the chance to speak in front of a group.  But as soon as I was asked, I KNEW they'd ask me to read First Corinthians.  I just knew it.  Sure enough, rehearsal comes around and what am I reading?  You guessed it, "Love is patient, love is kind...."  Did you know 'endures' is a difficult word to say aloud?  
  • Well, Biblical texts about romantic love are rare.  Remember, weddings were not about love until about 200 years ago.  They were about property transfer.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Well, Biblical texts about romantic love are rare.  Remember, weddings were not about love until about 200 years ago.  They were about property transfer.
    Cool, must ask my OH to transfer me all his property stat!
  • CMGragain said:
    Well, Biblical texts about romantic love are rare.  Remember, weddings were not about love until about 200 years ago.  They were about property transfer.
    Cool, must ask my OH to transfer me all his property stat!
    You mean, his property isn't going to be in your name?  What?  No!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
    edited April 2016
    In my own marriage DH's FAMILY asked me to sign papers before the marriage giving up any rights I might have to the family fortune.  DH knew nothing about this.  I signed.  I was insulted that they thought I was after their money.  Most of it is gone, now, anyway, and what was left is sitting in our joint bank account until we can figure out how to safely invest it..
    When we wrote our wills recently, I arranged that the block of oil stock that I inherited from my own family would skip DH and go directly to my adult children.  DH doesn't need it, and doesn't care.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I'm a big believer in sharing everything when you get married, but then again I can see why people do prenups.
  • Most of these do violate etiquette because the bride and groom never directly invite guests to their own wedding, but it is the poetry that had me gobsmacked.
    What if the bride and groom are the one hosting? Is the issue here that "we" is used in the invitation language instead of referring to the bride/groom in third person?

FI and I did our own invites, used our own return addresses, etc. - based on your comment, I'm wondering if there was a different way we should have approached this? We are 30 yrs old and want it to be clear that WE are inviting our nearest and nearest to witness our wedding ceremony. It is not our parents who are doing the inviting.

• Most of these do violate etiquette because the bride and groom never directly invite guests to their own wedding, but it is the poetry that had me gobsmacked.
    What if the bride and groom are the one hosting? Is the issue here that "we" is used in the invitation language instead of referring to the bride/groom in third person?

FI and I did our own invites, used our own return addresses, etc. - based on your comment, I'm wondering if there was a different way we should have approached this? We are 30 yrs old and want it to be clear that WE are inviting our nearest and nearest to witness our wedding ceremony. It is not our parents who are doing the inviting.

You use the wording:

The pleasure of your company is requested (use "honor of your presence" for a ceremony at a house of worship)
    at the marriage of
    Bride
    and
    Groom
    etc.
    edited June 2016
    Most of these do violate etiquette because the bride and groom never directly invite guests to their own wedding, but it is the poetry that had me gobsmacked.

When the bride and groom host their own wedding, the passive voice is used.

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name

This way, you are not directly inviting people to an event in your own honor, but everyone understands that your parents are not hosting and that you are.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

When the bride and groom host their own wedding, the passive voice is used.

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name

This way, you are not directly inviting people to an event in your own honor, but everyone understands that your parents are not hosting and that you are.

Thanks! I also just saw your sticky post at the top of the forum, which helps. That distinction makes sense.

And agree about staying away from the over-the-top flowery wording......
  • I love your name.  I have three poodles that live next door!  Oy vey!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards