Wedding Etiquette Forum

Plus one trouble

My maid-of-honor's sister is invited to my wedding and she will most likely get a plus one (our wedding is a little less than a year away, we haven't even sent save the dates yet). The sister's best friend, a girl I work with, has convinced her to make her the plus one instead of this sister's boyfriend so that she can come to my wedding (she wasn't going to be invited). I don't really want her there. I'm not sure what to do. Do I have any control over who she brings? Plus ones don't really work that way, right?

Re: Plus one trouble

• Ok, I think you have some terms confused here. A true plus one is given to a person who is not in a relationship. Anyone who is in a relationship should have their SO invited by name to the wedding. Therefore since the sister has a boyfriend, he should be invited by name. Sister will not get a plus one since her SO is invited. Problem solved - co-worker won't be invited!
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Ok, I think you have some terms confused here. A true plus one is given to a person who is not in a relationship. Anyone who is in a relationship should have their SO invited by name to the wedding. Therefore since the sister has a boyfriend, he should be invited by name. Sister will not get a plus one since her SO is invited. Problem solved - co-worker won't be invited!
    To add to this- a plus one is given to a guest who is truly single, and that guest is allowed to bring anyone of their choosing- a date, friend, family member. Thus, plus ones are never required, but a nice gesture.

Inviting a guest's significant other is always required.
  • Thanks everyone! I feel better
  • All guests should be invited explicitly by name. This allows you complete control over your guest list and allows you to avoid worrying about who a guest might bring with them.

Powers  &8^]

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards