Wedding 911

Dress 12 weeks late...and counting!

I ordered my Willowby dress Feb 2016 from a well known shop.  The dress was listed as a 10-12 week production and the shop contract said it is on time within 2 week window. 

So when it didn't come by May I called.  Now they are saying end of July.  That's 23 weeks.  Now, I'm not great at math, but that seems like more than 12.  Did I mention the shop (a well known one) didn't offer me so much as an I'm sorry.  Or that I am deployed now so I won't get to try it on til the day before the wedding?

So now I'm wondering.  What happens if the dress isn't ready in July?  Do I have any rights or do I just have to take grin and take it?  Do they owe me anything for being late?

*I did notice the shop changed the production dates listed on their site after I called to 18 weeks.  Luckily I'm smarter than that and I have a screen shot of the original date.

Re: Dress 12 weeks late...and counting!

• janem26 said:
    I ordered my Willowby dress Feb 2016 from a well known shop.  The dress was listed as a 10-12 week production and the shop contract said it is on time within 2 week window. 

So when it didn't come by May I called.  Now they are saying end of July.  That's 23 weeks.  Now, I'm not great at math, but that seems like more than 12.  Did I mention the shop (a well known one) didn't offer me so much as an I'm sorry.  Or that I am deployed now so I won't get to try it on til the day before the wedding?

So now I'm wondering.  What happens if the dress isn't ready in July?  Do I have any rights or do I just have to take grin and take it?  Do they owe me anything for being late?

*I did notice the shop changed the production dates listed on their site after I called to 18 weeks.  Luckily I'm smarter than that and I have a screen shot of the original date.

You can escalate this as much as you can with the bridal shop, but to a point, their hands are tied.  The bridal shop is not making the gown.  They cannot stop everything and switch gears to your dress. 

The designers will often put your gown in order of your wedding date.  But they probably have no idea you will be deployed during the time your dress should be done and arrive. 

It's possible you got a style of dress that is rarely ordered, meaning they don't produce this dress as often.  That puts your production window out further than your 10-12 weeks.  Now, I think this should have been made known to you when you placed your order or very quickly after the order was placed.  The bridal shop could have put an earlier wedding date on your order, so that the company could put it into production sooner. 

Did the bridal salon know of your deployment and that you will now not be able to try the dress on until the day before the wedding?  Are you going to have time for alterations?  Can they guarantee they will be completed in 1 day?  Most brides need 2-3 appointments to get their dress fully altered. 

You can try to contact the dress manufacturer and plead your case with them.  You can also try social media to get them to notice your dress production issues.  I wouldn't be afraid to use your deployment to gather extra support from the public, the bridal shop, and the dress manufacturer to potentially speed up your dress production.

• In short - no - there isn't anything for the shop to be "on the hook" for, or give you a discount for, etc. (other than working with you to not charge a rush fee on any last second alterations) since it's a delay with the designer.  Now, you get back from your deployment and the dress isn't in, that's a different discussion.  It sucks but there is very little that can be done in most situations..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards