Wedding Woes

Weird Wednesday

I left my phone on the kitchen counter today, and I feel like I'm missing an appendage.  It's thrown me off balance.

DS had water play day at preschool today, so he was over the moon.  DD has bike day, and tomorrow is her theme park trip.  I just got the email and it was basically "send them a bottle of water for lunch, we'll provide the rest."  I <3 daycare camp weeks, though she's only doing two this summer.  (@charlotte989875, when you lived out that way did you ever get to Mt. Mitchell?  We haven't been, and I'm deciding between that and Chimey Rock.)

Planning Wooz's and my hiking trip for next week, which is making being indoors unbearable right now.  I want to be outside.

Our do-nothing weekend is evaporating.  DS has swim.  Wooz may or may not have riding, waiting to hear back from them.  My mom wanted to see the kids, so we're doing that.  (She had to skip Wooz's birthday party last weekend because she was still taking Percoset and was afraid to drive when she was on it, which was probably a good call.)  Our town is doing fireworks Saturday night.  Neighborhood pool party Sunday (even numbered addresses bring a dessert, and I'm drawing a blank.  Which means grocery store cupcakes, usually).  We were talking about maybe doing the Whitewater Center fireworks, since we skipped 'em on Memorial Day, but now I'm thinking of skipping them again.  Plus, they found that brain eating amoeba in the water, so water activities are shut down.  Part of me is irrationally creeped out, the more rational part of me is wondering whether that might make it less crowded this year, since the rafting and kayaking people won't be there.

Re: Weird Wednesday

• Also, that last sentence of paragraph 2 was supposed to be at the end of paragraph 3, and of course my edit button is missing.  Again.  After I had to log in 15 times.  Effing Knot.
  • Yes @Heffalump Mount Mitchell is gorgeous. It's a good hike, but definitely doable for novices (like me). Chimney rock is nice too, but if I were only doing one is pick mount Mitchell. Although the Dirty Dancing lake scene was filmed at Lake Lure, which is right by chimney rock. Are you looking to camp or just a day hike?
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    We have dessert for the neighborhood picnic too. My stand by is lemonade cake so I'll do that. 

6let won his game last night so we have the championship game Thursday. We were supposed to go to mil's next week but she's going to see the Indians play. Good luck rescheduling lady. I'm not feeling charitable. 
  • I also left my phone at home; I find it a relief though.  I hate the damn thing and the need for instant connectivity.

Diva is being Diva today and I don't have the patience for it.  I've already yelled at my computer monitor 2x, going through e-mails.  Stop going through my office, you freaking micromanager, and take your task list and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

I stayed up too late last night....worth it.  I'm ready for K's competition to be over though.  There's some shennanigans going on that I am tired of.  Drag drama is bullshit and I have a really hard time not calling it like I see it.  I can play politics so well, but I can't seem to do it about drag.  

It's a short week with a 4 day weekend though, so I'm trying to hold onto that.  I'm not going to the office picnic, b/c ever since I had my blowup at the office, about half of the staff studiously avoids making eye contact or speaking to me.  This is my attitude about that:

and I have no fucks to give about my attitude about it.  If they want to fuck with me on LGBTQ+ issues, bring it.  I will rain hellfire on this entire office.

Hm.  Apparently, I'm in a mood.
  • Happy hump day.  Tonight we're out of town for baseball but we will be off until next Tuesday!  Son will have a couple practices, but it's not like we as a family will go to those, so it will be nice to have some days off.

• Yes @Heffalump Mount Mitchell is gorgeous. It's a good hike, but definitely doable for novices (like me). Chimney rock is nice too, but if I were only doing one is pick mount Mitchell. Although the Dirty Dancing lake scene was filmed at Lake Lure, which is right by chimney rock. Are you looking to camp or just a day hike?
    Just a day hike.  Mom & me day with the Woozle.  I was looking for something more challenging than what we usually do, because we usually need to accommodate DS.  Originally I was thinking Chimney Rock because we've been before and Wooz loves it, and we haven't been since the elevator went down.  (DS is at the stage where I think it's too much for him without the elevator, but he's gotten too big to carry.)  But I was eyeballing Mt. Mitchell, and it looks awesome, and doable.  It's about 30 minutes farther each way, and Wooz has a long drive to Space Camp with Mr. Heff the next day, so I'm on the fence.  I think I'll sit down with her tonight or tomorrow and see which she'd prefer.

S/O, I need to get travel activities together for Wooz.  Mr. Heff can only do so much, since he's driving, and it's 7-1/2 hours by car. 

• DH and I have started house hunting.  Well, I have, anyway, since I'm currently in the area. It's a little overwhelming, since where I'm working is a good 80 miles from where he's working. And of course, he's smack in the middle of downtown and I'm flush in the middle of tractorland, so the logistics of finding a place a commutable distance for either one of us is utterly laughable.  We're also working in two completely different states... So we have to also think about housing prices and land and taxes between the two states and holy shit just looking at all this in writing makes me think I'm certifiable for thinking this job was a good thing for us.

...I am not sure how well this plan was thought through...

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2016
    ...and now I'm in a mood.  I already know SIL is the "darling" of DH's family, and that she can do no wrong (I, in contrast, can do no right).  Well, apparently his family had to rub it in some more by taking to Facebook to publicly affirm that I'm only a second-rate spouse. And, decidedly, NOT a favorite person or someone to be proud of.  

Fuck changing my name. I'm going to keep the name of a family who is proud of me.

I want to throw all of the things.

There must be something in the water.

ETA @kimmiinthemitten, girl power!  I don't know about you, but I feel sexiest in PPE.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• ...and now I'm in a mood.  I already know SIL is the "darling" of DH's family, and that she can do no wrong (I, in contrast, can do no right).  Well, apparently his family had to rub it in some more by taking to Facebook to publicly affirm that I'm only a second-rate spouse. And, decidedly, NOT a favorite person or someone to be proud of.  

Fuck changing my name. I'm going to keep the name of a family who is proud of me.

ETA @kimmiinthemitten, girl power!  I don't know about you, but I feel sexiest in PPE.
    Ugh.  I do not miss having to deal with my inlaws, who liked to say things like, "Well, your family wasn't very traditional, but you do have morals."  Really, bitch?  My "unusual" family actually LIKE and love each other, yours just fakes it for the "family time" you demand.
  • All the girl power to @kimmiinthemitten and @AtomicBlonde you guys rock. 

Also, WTF is with your in laws??

Alll I've done today is buy new bedding for our room.  There was a huge Macy's sale so I got a new bedspread, sheets and pillowcases, and had gift cards so I only spent like $40. Also blankets, shams and extra sheets from Target for $10. Thank you wedding gifts I never used. 

Side note: H never had extra sheets. The entire time we were together he only had one set of sheets and just washed and used those continuously. I think this is super weird I always had at least two sets per bed. What does everyone else do?
  • Heffalump said:
    Yes @Heffalump Mount Mitchell is gorgeous. It's a good hike, but definitely doable for novices (like me). Chimney rock is nice too, but if I were only doing one is pick mount Mitchell. Although the Dirty Dancing lake scene was filmed at Lake Lure, which is right by chimney rock. Are you looking to camp or just a day hike?
    Just a day hike.  Mom & me day with the Woozle.  I was looking for something more challenging than what we usually do, because we usually need to accommodate DS.  Originally I was thinking Chimney Rock because we've been before and Wooz loves it, and we haven't been since the elevator went down.  (DS is at the stage where I think it's too much for him without the elevator, but he's gotten too big to carry.)  But I was eyeballing Mt. Mitchell, and it looks awesome, and doable.  It's about 30 minutes farther each way, and Wooz has a long drive to Space Camp with Mr. Heff the next day, so I'm on the fence.  I think I'll sit down with her tonight or tomorrow and see which she'd prefer.

S/O, I need to get travel activities together for Wooz.  Mr. Heff can only do so much, since he's driving, and it's 7-1/2 hours by car. 

Mount Mitchell is definitely doable for a day hike. Challenging but won't be so hard that it won't be fun too. The views are spectacular. 
  • @Heffalump - for the daycare camp weeks, do you still follow the say standard pickup/drop off schedule for Wooz (say 6:30-6:30) or is it more limited? We have a few locations of the company that you use, nearby, and we're not sending Wolverine to her DCP after this summer session ends. She'll do before/after care through the school/district's program, and we're looking at the company that you use for next summer. 

A lot of the "camps" around here only cater to SAHP who can easily manage 9am-3pm schedule. 
  • edited June 2016

I'm in club cranky too. I woke up like this. I have no idea what is wrong with me.

We have no water at our office. Plumbers are here adding a water spigot to the outside of our building, which meant they had to turn all the water off. Which is great when you have an office full of women who drink water like it's going out of style all day long. So we have to go to the office next door if we need to go. Ugh.

DH applied for a job a couple of weeks ago and got a letter saying he didn't make it. It was nice of them to send the letter, but damn that is disappointing. It would have been the perfect job situation for us right now. Back to the drawing board for him, I guess. He's putting in several applications other places, and his cousin (who is an airline pilot) said he will try to get him connected with people he knows at different companies. I'm hoping and praying that something works out sooner rather than later! Living on 1 income (mine) is just not even doable right now!

ETA.... why is TK sucking all the time now and making me log in every 5 seconds??? Grrrrr

• ...and now I'm in a mood.  I already know SIL is the "darling" of DH's family, and that she can do no wrong (I, in contrast, can do no right).  Well, apparently his family had to rub it in some more by taking to Facebook to publicly affirm that I'm only a second-rate spouse. And, decidedly, NOT a favorite person or someone to be proud of.  

Actually, for me, my best days are the days where I'm underestimated because I'm a girly girl and then I blow them away.  Plus I have a super supportive  company when it comes to sexism so if I blow back when someone assumes I'm an admin person, I don't get in trouble.

Sorry about your IL's.  You need whiskey!
  • thefanciestbeckler said:   I'm in club cranky too. I woke up like this. I have no idea what is wrong with me.We have no water at our office. Plumbers are here adding a water spigot to the outside of our building, which meant they had to turn all the water off. Which is great when you have an office full of women who drink water like it's going out of style all day long. So we have to go to the office next door if we need to go. Ugh. DH applied for a job a couple of weeks ago and got a letter saying he didn't make it. It was nice of them to send the letter, but damn that is disappointing. It would have been the perfect job situation for us right now. Back to the drawing board for him, I guess. He's putting in several applications other places, and his cousin (who is an airline pilot) said he will try to get him connected with people he knows at different companies. I'm hoping and praying that something works out sooner rather than later! Living on 1 income (mine) is just not even doable right now!
    ETA.... why is TK sucking all the time now and making me log in every 5 seconds??? Grrrrr
    IE is the only way I can log on.  It's bad and super frustrating and KR and the techies are working on it.

Now you have Beyoncé stuck in my head.  Flawless.

• thefanciestbeckler said:   I'm in club cranky too. I woke up like this. I have no idea what is wrong with me.We have no water at our office. Plumbers are here adding a water spigot to the outside of our building, which meant they had to turn all the water off. Which is great when you have an office full of women who drink water like it's going out of style all day long. So we have to go to the office next door if we need to go. Ugh. DH applied for a job a couple of weeks ago and got a letter saying he didn't make it. It was nice of them to send the letter, but damn that is disappointing. It would have been the perfect job situation for us right now. Back to the drawing board for him, I guess. He's putting in several applications other places, and his cousin (who is an airline pilot) said he will try to get him connected with people he knows at different companies. I'm hoping and praying that something works out sooner rather than later! Living on 1 income (mine) is just not even doable right now!
    IE is the only way I can log on.  It's bad and super frustrating and KR and the techies are working on it.

Now you have Beyoncé stuck in my head.  Flawless.

Mission accomplished!

• Side note: H never had extra sheets. The entire time we were together he only had one set of sheets and just washed and used those continuously. I think this is super weird I always had at least two sets per bed. What does everyone else do?
    I've done both ways.  I prefer having 2 sets, but I just wash my set weekly now and remake the bed immediately.
  • my coworker mentioned mortgage interest rates and now i'm looking at refinancing. It will very likely happen - i'm just going to get a few quotes first. (yay for Brexit screwing with the economy?)

i have a meeting at noon, and then will do a quick lunch and finish up the project that i've been doing this week. 

lucky me - DK is WFH today, so I prepped some meat last night (ribs with a dry rub and marinated lamb chops) and had him put it in the smoker today. I'll get him to throw in some veggies when I leave work, and dinner will be mostly ready by the time I get home. :-D
  • *Barbie* said:
    my coworker mentioned mortgage interest rates and now i'm looking at refinancing. It will very likely happen - i'm just going to get a few quotes first. (yay for Brexit screwing with the economy?)

i have a meeting at noon, and then will do a quick lunch and finish up the project that i've been doing this week. 

lucky me - DK is WFH today, so I prepped some meat last night (ribs with a dry rub and marinated lamb chops) and had him put it in the smoker today. I'll get him to throw in some veggies when I leave work, and dinner will be mostly ready by the time I get home. :-D
    UO:  Quicken is great. Their staff works odd hours so you can reach them easily, and their web and mobile sits makes uploading docs easy. We just refinanced and the whole process took less than 60 days and we dropped $200/month from our mortgage. 

Their cons, aside from being the definition of "The Man" is the middle man who is in charge of the meat and potatoes is a true banker type so you go from salesperson/best friend type to someone who sounds like they never smile overnight. Which is fine by me because they do a great job and know their shit. 
  • edited June 2016
    VarunaTT said:

Side note: H never had extra sheets. The entire time we were together he only had one set of sheets and just washed and used those continuously. I think this is super weird I always had at least two sets per bed. What does everyone else do?
    I've done both ways.  I prefer having 2 sets, but I just wash my set weekly now and remake the bed immediately.
    We have a ton of extra sets, but lately I have been so busy that I have just been washing the set on the bed weekly (as usual), and then remaking the bed with that set. We have a King and folding King-size fitted sheets makes me stabby.

ETA: WTF happened to my Pinky & the Brain avatar???????
  • *Barbie* said:
    my coworker mentioned mortgage interest rates and now i'm looking at refinancing. It will very likely happen - i'm just going to get a few quotes first. (yay for Brexit screwing with the economy?)

UO:  Quicken is great. Their staff works odd hours so you can reach them easily, and their web and mobile sits makes uploading docs easy. We just refinanced and the whole process took less than 60 days and we dropped $200/month from our mortgage. 

Their cons, aside from being the definition of "The Man" is the middle man who is in charge of the meat and potatoes is a true banker type so you go from salesperson/best friend type to someone who sounds like they never smile overnight. Which is fine by me because they do a great job and know their shit. 

I will second the vote for Quicken. I work at a local mortgage company, but I didn't want all my coworkers knowing my financial business so we are refinancing through Quicken. Our sales guy was great and the girl who we are dealing with now is really nice. They're very efficient and have made the whole process very easy.

• i called our current company for giggles and asked about cutting it to a 15yr, and it would cost slight more/month, but the total cost difference is huge. we pay ahead anyways, so even on the 15 year program, it would be done in 10 or so. 

I'm going to check with our bank, and i'll try quicken, too. 

I'm just trying to get a handle on closing costs, fees, rates, TCO, etc. I might need to open excel. 
  • *Barbie* said:
    i called our current company for giggles and asked about cutting it to a 15yr, and it would cost slight more/month, but the total cost difference is huge. we pay ahead anyways, so even on the 15 year program, it would be done in 10 or so.
    That's what we did when we re-fi'ed in the old house and it was awesome.  When we moved, we went straight into a 15-yr (rates were still pretty low then), and I am looking forward to having that sucker paid off in 10-ish years.

*Barbie* said:
    @Heffalump - for the daycare camp weeks, do you still follow the say standard pickup/drop off schedule for Wooz (say 6:30-6:30) or is it more limited? We have a few locations of the company that you use, nearby, and we're not sending Wolverine to her DCP after this summer session ends. She'll do before/after care through the school/district's program, and we're looking at the company that you use for next summer. 

A lot of the "camps" around here only cater to SAHP who can easily manage 9am-3pm schedule. 

They're on their normal 6:30 - 6:30 schedule during the summer.  TBH, they are not my favorite, but Wooz likes them in limited doses, esp. with the theme park trips thrown in.  Today is bike day, tomorrow is theme park, Friday they're having a party for Fourth of July, stuff like that.

And yes at the stupid camps with the stupid schedules.  That's one reason she's not doing art camp at the place where she takes classes during the school year--they're half day camps, which are totally useless.  She has a couple of camps during the summer that are challenging, schedule-wise, but we make them work.  (Horseback riding and the one at the children's museum both start at 9:00, and one ends at 4:00, but between Mr. Heff and me, we make it work for a couple of weeks.)  I don't know if they exist or what they're like by you, but I really love our Y camps.  They keep the kids really active, and they have a lot of fun themes (ceramics, outdoor adventure, etc.).

But it's also two drop-offs and pick-ups every day, packing a lunch and snacks, etc., so I am enjoying having both kids at the same place this week. 
  • It's my day off.  I woke up with ovulation cramping and a massive headache that's gone down to a minor headache, but it's irritating that it won't go away. 

DefConn smeared toothpaste on the bathroom door handle and in the kiddo's underwear.  WTF?

My kids fought for a solid hour while doing chores this morning. 

I have no idea if I have to report to the office tomorrow or not. I'm hoping for not.  

SIL/BIL/my nieces are coming over for dinner tonight.  

I think we're ready for camping.  :)  I hope DefConn doesn't hate the earplugs I bought him for swimming.  
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2016
    Heffalump said:

They're on their normal 6:30 - 6:30 schedule during the summer.  TBH, they are not my favorite, but Wooz likes them in limited doses, esp. with the theme park trips thrown in.  Today is bike day, tomorrow is theme park, Friday they're having a party for Fourth of July, stuff like that.

And yes at the stupid camps with the stupid schedules.  That's one reason she's not doing art camp at the place where she takes classes during the school year--they're half day camps, which are totally useless.  She has a couple of camps during the summer that are challenging, schedule-wise, but we make them work.  (Horseback riding and the one at the children's museum both start at 9:00, and one ends at 4:00, but between Mr. Heff and me, we make it work for a couple of weeks.)  I don't know if they exist or what they're like by you, but I really love our Y camps.  They keep the kids really active, and they have a lot of fun themes (ceramics, outdoor adventure, etc.).

But it's also two drop-offs and pick-ups every day, packing a lunch and snacks, etc., so I am enjoying having both kids at the same place this week. 
    We have a Y within 2 miles or so of the house, so we may look into that as well - especially if we can do another location for full day on a weekly basis. 

Even with the new (somewhat better) director at our DCP, I'm honestly tired of the shit (last week, literally) that goes on there. Given the nonsense of the last ~2 years, I was shocked to find that the owner was opening another location given what a piss poor job she is doing in overseeing ours. 
    ETA: I already told new director that she's done in ~8 weeks when school starts for the district. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I just gave 6let to ride his bike across the street, down the road, and around the next cul de sac. He has a buddy down. He's allowed to stay hi but not stop to play unless asked. Then he has to come home and ask me. Now he's stalking the house looking for the kid. 
  • What a crap day. One mishap after another at work, bitchy coworker, argument with someone in one of my neighborhood Facebook groups. So glad I have a meeting tonight.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards