Just Engaged and Proposals

Where to get rings?

well since kays jewelers is in big trouble right now. Where would be another place to get rings? One that doesn't do what kays did. 

Answers

• We found our engagement rings on Etsy and our wedding rings on Amazon. Unfortunately the disadvantage of that is that you can't try them on first, but if you know your sizes, you should be OK.
  • Kay's, Jared, and Zales are all owned by the same company, so if you want to avoid Kay's, you should avoid the others as well.

That being said - I work for a different national jeweler, and the trouble Kay is in likely happens (albeit very rarely) at most large chains. I highly doubt there was some grand conspiracy on the part of Signet (the parent corp) to dupe people out of their stones. There are a few bad apples at every company, and if you look at any national jeweler's website, you will find complaints - it's part of the business. And if you think about the volume of sales national jewelers do annually, the complaint rate is really not that catastrophic.

My suggestion, though, would be to go to a small, local jeweler to start off. Otherwise, if you choose a chain jeweler, in all likelihood you probably won't have any trouble. Just make sure you pay for the warranty/extended care plan if you go to a chain.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you're not squicked out by second-hand jewelry try a pawn shop or one of those places that buy gold and diamonds. They'll be able to sell it a lot cheaper. If you'd rather have new, find a small, local jeweler. My engagement ring came from an antique store and I love the fact that it's 125 years old and there's nothing like it being made today.
  • Tiffany's
  • ernursej said:
    Tiffany's
    Oh to afford Tiffany's....sigh
  • Find a local non-chain jewelry store. I'm sure there's one close to where you live. 
  • ernursej said:
    Tiffany's

It can be surprisingly affordable when you look at smaller stones and simpler settings. I love that I can take my ring into any Tiffany store and get it checked/cleaned no matter where we are in the world. I also don't have to worry about getting it check every x months/years like some jewelry stores make you do or they don't guarantee the settings.
  • I second (triple) the locally owned store. FI was so happy with the price and service at the place where he bought my ring we went back there for his. 
  • ernursej said:
    ernursej said:
    Tiffany's

It can be surprisingly affordable when you look at smaller stones and simpler settings. I love that I can take my ring into any Tiffany store and get it checked/cleaned no matter where we are in the world. I also don't have to worry about getting it check every x months/years like some jewelry stores make you do or they don't guarantee the settings.
    I think one that I looked at was a carat in a very simple setting, literally a thin band with prongs, and it was over $12,000. My ex bought me a 1 ct center stone, set with two accent diamonds, inside a halo, with two eternity bands from a local jeweler for $10,000. This is where affordable becomes really subjective. 
  • ernursej said:
    ernursej said:
    Tiffany's

I think one that I looked at was a carat in a very simple setting, literally a thin band with prongs, and it was over $12,000. My ex bought me a 1 ct center stone, set with two accent diamonds, inside a halo, with two eternity bands from a local jeweler for $10,000. This is where affordable becomes really subjective. 

The rings I was looking at and that we eventually bought were comparative with other stores, especially when I looked at colour/clarity. Yes, affordability is very subjective.
  • ernursej said:

The rings I was looking at and that we eventually bought were comparative with other stores, especially when I looked at colour/clarity. Yes, affordability is very subjective.
    The one from Tiffany's is possibly better color/clarity-wise. The one I had was a VS2 f color with not an ideal cut, but was classified very good. Plus the closest Tiffany's to me is 3 hours away.
  • My engagement ring is an antique from eBay.  The wedding ring we found for Fi is custom from Etsy.  Still not sure what I'll wind up with for a wedding ring.

Definitely avoid chains, and particularly mall chains.  You pay so much more to cover all the advertising they do.
  • No matter where you get your rings the best advice I can give you (not that you're going to see this as it appears that you've done a post and ghost) is to check your ring in a loupe before and after every time you drop it off. Memorize your stones flaws so that you can easily verify that it is, in fact, your diamond. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards