Nevada-Las Vegas

How is everyone that is flying getting their dress to Vegas?

I wonder if I can ship it somewhere until I get there?  I really don't want to try and pack it in my suitcase :(

Re: How is everyone that is flying getting their dress to Vegas?

• There are four common choices:

1) Pack it, deal with steaming it upon arrival, hope the airline doesn't lose your luggage.  Many people do not go this route because of the risk associated with the airline losing your luggage.

2) Carry on.  Doesn't get as wrinkled, you keep it in your possession.  If you're flying a 'premium' airline, they may have a coat closet to stash it in for you, which many are willing to do.

If it's not a premium airline, such as Southwest, then what most people do is try to find a nice overhead compartment with some cooperative passengers who own smaller bags and rollaboards, then lay the dress flat over the top of them so it remains in good shape.

Third carry on option.  Buy a seat for your dress.  My wife flew Southwest to Vegas for our wedding, so on the outbound flight, we purchased an extra seat just for her dress.  We did this using the Southwest "Customer of size" extra seat option.  You can find info on how to do that here:

http://www.vegasgroom.com/(Tip)-Southwest-Airlines-Dress-Transportation_116.html

In our case, it was $100 to add an extra seat.  The insurance on her dress going FedEx would have been several times that, so it made much more sense economically to just buy the seat and not lose site of the dress.

3) Ship it to the hotel.  Two downsides here are that generally most strip resorts charge you a feel to receive a package, and who knows who will be in possession of your dress between when it arrives and you claim it.  Could be as risky as just packing it in a suitcase.

4) Ship it to a dress service.  Many knotties use Fit For a Bride, and ship the dress directly there, have it steamed, then either pick it up or have it delivered:

http://www.vegasgroom.com/Fit-For-A-Bride_25.html

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Just an FYI -- Fit For a Bride's website now claims they only do steaming for cleaning and alterations customers.  Their most basic cleaning apparently requires 3 days, so this may not be a good choice for those flying in shortly before the ceremony.

As of right now, my plan is to bring mine as a carry on.  It's a relatively sturdy material, so I'm hoping it will make the trip okay, though I also have a portable steamer.  Worst case, I'll have to find a company to steam it once I get there.

• Last I had heard from Debi was that she changed to only offer delivery to certain hotels, and for a fee, where previously it was free drop off.  Apparently she was having issues with a lot of the hotels and their valets allowing her to park the van and deliver the dress/suits so she just stopped doing it, but then added back in some hotels that are more cooperative, and the fee due to time involved.

If anyone has updated info on this, please let me know as it's been almost a year since I inquired about it.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Mines being professionally boxed into a box that is cabin hand luggage sized as we are long haul so don't want to take the chance of trying to get it hung up or putting it across other people's luggage for such a long flight. 
  • amiexxamiexx member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I packed mine into a carry on canvas box as hand luggage, and put in over head lockers, we flew from Scotland and my dress was fine when we got to Vegas,  never needed steamed
  • I took mine as a carry on and it was immediately labelled and whisked out of my hands by staff on board and put in what she called the "bridal bin". She said they didn't have a closet on board but there were 4 brides heading to vegas that flight, so they laid all of our dresses on top of one another in an over head bin and made it off limits to other passengers. On our way out a staffer stood at the bins and handed us each our dresses. Coming home was a little different, I just stashed it in the same bin I put my husbands carry on in (once it was full, I just laid the dress across the top), as they didn't have a closet or any other brides coming home that day.

I didn't even need to steam it after the flight down. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I brought mine on board and the flight attendants got really excited and found a safe coat rack to put it in. Mine was satin and I only needed to steam the train
  • I had the most amazing experience on Southwest.  I did buy for myself a early bird check in pass for like $45 to be one of the first onboard.  The flight attendants saw me and let both me and my husband on first!  They put my dress on an overhead bin by itself then gave us a congratulatory bottle of champagne!  It really was the best thing as I was so worried myself!  I love southwest!
  • We leave Wednesday on Southwest~ so happy to hear this!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi! We are flying southwest for our wedding in Vegas as well. A friend mentioned that we could ask for my dress to be hung up in the in the front/stewardess area. Was that by any chance an option?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards