Wedding Etiquette Forum

Thank yous- for gifts well before the wedding

Hi all,

So my shower is in two weeks and we got a large box from one of the stores we're registered at the other day. I figured it was a shower gift from a friend who told me she was sending something (but couldn't attend) - but that same friend asked me yesterday where we were registered! 
So I decided it was safe to open the box- but there was no note or name! So I looked online and it came from a single male guest (so neither he nor whomever he brings as a date got  a shower invite), so I'm to assume it's for the wedding.

I send a Thank You card now, yes? I ordered some quickly online as I wasn't prepared! Invites don't go out for another 5-6 weeks!!

Re: Thank yous- for gifts well before the wedding

• Yes. Send the thank you now, and any future gifts you receive, no matter when or in what proximity to any planned events, should have thank you notes sent as promptly as possible. We started receiving gifts shortly after the STDs went out. 

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Oh we weren't registered until very recently, so this was our first!
    I have Thank Yous for the Bridal Shower ready to go, but truly wasn't expecting wedding gifts for a while! The TYs are on their way, and will be sent out ASAP!
    Thanks!
  • Yes. Don't wait to send thank-you notes, regardless of how far in advance you receive gifts.
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Oh we weren't registered until very recently, so this was our first!
    I have Thank Yous for the Bridal Shower ready to go, but truly wasn't expecting wedding gifts for a while! The TYs are on their way, and will be sent out ASAP!
    Thanks!
    What do you mean when you say that you have Thanks Yous ready to go for the shower? Did you already fill them out generically or are you just saying that you purchased cards to fill out and personalize after the shower?
  • I meant that I have matching thank yous :) Mom ordered the bridal shower invites & had the matching thank yous sent to my house! definitely not filled out, I don't even know who's attending! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards