Chit Chat
Options

Fake ring

I took the wedding ring from my ex to a diamond buyer yesterday and they told me that the halo, accent diamonds, and diamonds on the shank are real but the center stone that we paid $5,000 for is Moissanite. I have an EGL certificate for it. It has never been out of my possession except for going back to the jeweler for repairs. I'm at an utter loss. I cannot figure out how the stones got switched. This is a small, local jeweler and not one we've seen in the news. 

I don't have a question or anything, just venting.  

Re: Fake ring

• Options
    Yikes. Get another opinion or three. 

• Options
    I'm planning on going to the jeweler after work. I brought the certificate with me so I'm hoping he can prove to me that the flaws are there to prove it's my diamond. I had a hard time sleeping last night. I woke up with the baby at 2 and didn't go back to sleep until near 5. I was planning on paying off my dress and my cat's hospital bill with the ring and that would also leave money to put towards the wedding. It's in 82 days and we keep having things come up so our savings isn't what it needs to be.
  • Options
    WTF?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    AddieCake said:
    WTF?
    Pretty much how I am feeling. I'm hoping it's just a misunderstanding. The diamond has a few flaws but they're easily hidden. It was also hot as balls in their store yesterday so I think that might have impacted the little machine. 
  • Options
    Sorry you're going through this!

So, depending on the testing method/machine used when the ring was originally purchased, it can be really difficult, if not impossible, to tell Moissanite from diamond. Jewelers use spectrometers to test, and older ones cannot tell them apart. Do you know what the diamond buyer you just went to used to test it?

If you have a report from the original purchase that maps the stone and shows where the inclusions are, AND it says that the stone is a diamond, you should take it back to where you purchased it and try to get them to do something about it.

There have been a lot of stories in the news lately about jewelers swapping stones when they are in for repairs, so while I hope that's not the case here, there is definitely a chance the stone was swapped when it was repaired :(
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @madamerwin the place yesterday used a little handheld gem tester. I just got back from the jeweler I bought it from and he said that if they went from stone to stone without giving the tester a break, it can show a false reading. They put it on their tester and it immediately jumped to diamond. He's willing to put it on consignment and I'll end up getting about the same for it as this other place offered me a year ago, but it might take a while. I'm going to go back with the certificate after work and see what they say.
  • Options
    @madamerwin the place yesterday used a little handheld gem tester. I just got back from the jeweler I bought it from and he said that if they went from stone to stone without giving the tester a break, it can show a false reading. They put it on their tester and it immediately jumped to diamond. He's willing to put it on consignment and I'll end up getting about the same for it as this other place offered me a year ago, but it might take a while. I'm going to go back with the certificate after work and see what they say.
    To the bolded: Older testers cannot tell the difference between Moissanite and diamond, and in this case it would be in the interest of the store that sold it to you to use an older tester. If I were you, I would call around to a few other stores and ask if they have gem testers that can for sure tell the difference between the two, since a lot of larger jewelers do have new testers. Maybe if you can get confirmation from a third party one way or another, it will help.

I hope you're able to sell it soon!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have a moissanite - so I've done some research on it - the light will refract off of a Moissanite stone much different than it will a diamond - and in certain lights you can actually see it with your own stone (I can see it with the windows up and light shining in my car for example) - a Mojssanite will "fire" or refract a rainbow light, and diamonds will only refract white. I have also noticed in some light that my stone will actually have a yellow or green hue to it depending on the light or surrounding colors; but in bright light it is crystal clear - have you noticed any color changes in your stone? Or any light refracting? 

Either way - if I thought I had a diamond and actually had a Mojssanite I would be pissed. I would get a couple other opinions.

To show you what i'm talking about with the light: 

Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Options
    @LabLove86 I'm going to go to another jeweler today and see what he says. There's a reason this one stone tests as moissanite when every stone around it tests as diamond. Depending on what this other jeweler has to say, I'm going to offer the place I bought it from a chance to buy the ring back for what I paid for it or I'll hire an attorney.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards