Chit Chat
Options

A new wedding trend

I keep my H in the loop on Knot discussions. He sent me this link saying "another great way for people to spend their honeyfund." He also feels a little cheated that we didn't have this for our wedding and wants a redo. Love this guy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/10/fashion/weddings/sand-sculptures-for-a-beach-wedding.html?module=WatchingPortal&region=c-column-middle-span-region&pgType=Homepage&action=click&mediaId=wide&state=standard&contentPlacement=1&version=internal&contentCollection=www.nytimes.com&contentId=http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/10/fashion/weddings/sand-sculptures-for-a-beach-wedding.html&eventName=Watching-article-click&_r=0

I specifically liked the quote "When you get married at a hotel, there are always other people around. This marked our territory. Having our names on it helped as well. It says, ‘Be aware this is our day’ in a subtle way.”

I think this could be a cute idea, but I think I see this quickly turning into a "vision over etiquette" thing.

Re: A new wedding trend

• Options

wonder if it would have stayed intact during my 65 mph  wind-driven rains?    Damn you Tropical Storm Hannah.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    That quote is like whaaaat? If you don't want other people around, then don't get married at a hotel!

We went on our honeymoon to a Waldorf Astoria hotel, and the one weekend we were there, there were 3 weddings on the Saturday. They all had their own rooms, and the hotel was definitely large enough, but if being the only wedding that day is important to you, don't pick that venue.

I think the sculpture is beautiful- definitely a work of art, but not something I'd pay for for my wedding.
  • Options
    Oooh I hope it snows enough to have one commissioned for my wedding.  I don't want anyone else even near the street! </sarcasm>
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    edited July 2016
    I think it's pretty.  Ice sculptures are also pretty.  Not the kind of thing I'd spend money on, but as long as guests are properly hosted, I respect that every couple has their own taste.
    Didn't like (or understand) that quote though...especially "be aware".. it sounds threatening.  A sand sculpture of the grim reaper or like Ramsay Bolton and his dogs would really send curious beach-goers the message to steer clear.

• Options
    I enjoyed the caption indicating that sand sculptures are "highly personalized" right below a very generic beach themed sand sculpture. 
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    I enjoyed the caption indicating that sand sculptures are "highly personalized" right below a very generic beach themed sand sculpture. 
    Haha, yeah, how do you get "highly" personalized? Something is either personalized or it's not right? It has their names on it... what more is there? I suppose you could argue the couple gets to pick all of the elements of the sculpture, but the guests wouldn't know if the couple picked it or not. Maybe if the couple's face is sculpted out of sand on it too?
  • Options

I looked into booking out the entire island where we were married as to not have any people around. We didn't go that route (why bother when there were only 6 other guests on an island with 6 rooms), but had I known a sand castle was all it took to mark my territory, it would have saved me a lot of money.

If you really want to mark your territory, you just have to pee on it.
    But you'll have to have a bridesmaid hold up your dress! ;) 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards