Chit Chat
Options

Wedding Website: POV.

Our wedding website will be short and sweet, but I can't decide if it looks better in First Person (singular/plural) or Third Person (singular/plural). What POV did you use when writing your wedding website? 

Re: Wedding Website: POV.

• Options
    We(I) used third to make it look more like a story, but I also tend to find that when couples use first person, it is often confusing as to who actually did/said what.  He/She etc. prevents that confusion (in most cases).

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    We used 1st person b/c I felt weird talking about us in 3rd. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We used 1st person; it seemed strange using 3rd because everyone knows it's the couple writing it.  We only included how we met though, not any "about the bride/groom", so 3rd probably would've been okay too.  It just felt more natural writing in 1st.
  • Options
    I did first person too. I wanted it to feel like I was actually talking and I put a lot into the site since it was a DW. It was obvious that the "me" and "I"s were from me and not H.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I did first person too. I wanted it to feel like I was actually talking and I put a lot into the site since it was a DW. It was obvious that the "me" and "I"s were from me and not H.
    Yeah, I don't get what would be confusing. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    AddieCake said:
    IMO, it gets confusing when there are clearly two different people/voices coming out of the wedding website, and then the information is kind of smushed together.  Like "I drove over to her house and did XYZ.  I looked out my bedroom window and saw the roses."  It's not universal, but it does happen, and in my circle, it happens a lot.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    AddieCake said:
    IMO, it gets confusing when there are clearly two different people/voices coming out of the wedding website, and then the information is kind of smushed together.  Like "I drove over to her house and did XYZ.  I looked out my bedroom window and saw the roses."  It's not universal, but it does happen, and in my circle, it happens a lot.

I tend to agree. Also, IMO (and no offense if you've done this, I'm sure your wedding website was lovely!) but I kind of dislike when it's super obvious that the wedding website and thank you note is all just from the bride. Gender rolls and all that. I prefer to see the groom as an equal partner in wedding related communication. 
  • Options
    Guac feels weird talking about Guac in 3rd person.
  • Options
    Ours is in first, and it's extremely obvious as to who is talking. My fiancé and I are from very different locales and do not have the same terminology for a lot of things. When I was doing our website, I would ask him questions (How did you first meet so-and-so? What would you like my family who has never met you before to know about you? What are you most excited about for the honeymoon [excursions/activities]) and I would type out what he said exactly the way he said it. People who have seen it so far said they felt like we were talking to them and they really appreciated that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would say whether you use first or third person, keep it consistent and make any transitions clear. 
  • Options
    I used third person. I couldn't even tell you why.
  • Options
    MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Man, so far ours is a draft and I have first and third persons everywhere, it's a mess. And I second the thing about the groom writing stuff too, my FH needs to get on that!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I like the idea of both of us contributing to writing parts of the site.
  • Options
    We posted stories of how we met and how he proposed, written by each of us from our own POV.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards