Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Incorporating Readings in a Simple Ceremony

My fiancee and I are planning on having a short, very secular wedding ceremony, but I've only ever been to religious ceremonies, so I really have no frame of reference on how to incorporate readings.  To be honest I'm not even sure of the structure of a secular ceremony.
Any ideas?

Re: Incorporating Readings in a Simple Ceremony

• My fiancee and I are planning on having a short, very secular wedding ceremony, but I've only ever been to religious ceremonies, so I really have no frame of reference on how to incorporate readings.  To be honest I'm not even sure of the structure of a secular ceremony.
    Any ideas?
    We used google and some of the scripts people here have shared.

I found a format we liked (Introduction, Definition of Marriage, Reading 1, Vows, Rings, Reading 2, Declaration of Marriage) and then we pieced together things we read and liked for each.

Our friend is officiating so she currently has the script and will let us know if anything reads funny to her or is weird.  It was important to us to make sure the parts she reads she is also comfortable with.
  • You can easily look up secular ceremony scripts online. Do you have an officiant yet? He or she can also guide you if he or she has a script in mind. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Your officiant should have a plan for the flow of the ceremony.

Our officiant gave us a clear outline, similar to what Kimmi posted. We were able to choose much of the wording and we picked our own readings. We inserted them where we thought it'd flow best.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards