Military Brides

HELP!

Military brides/wives please help! 
I'm probably jumping the gun worrying about this but how easy/difficult was it for you ladies that are already married to change your name on your drivers license and social security card? We're getting married in May and a few days after I will be moving to NC where my fiancé is stationed and need my SS card to match my DL so I can get an ID and enrolled in DEERS and all that fun stuff. As if moving wasn't causing me enough anxiety this is just adding onto it. Help please!

Re: HELP!

• Military brides/wives please help! 
    I'm probably jumping the gun worrying about this but how easy/difficult was it for you ladies that are already married to change your name on your drivers license and social security card? We're getting married in May and a few days after I will be moving to NC where my fiancé is stationed and need my SS card to match my DL so I can get an ID and enrolled in DEERS and all that fun stuff. As if moving wasn't causing me enough anxiety this is just adding onto it. Help please!
    So not a military bride, but someone who has moved a ton. How many days do you have in between the wedding and the move date? I would recommend not having your officiant mail in your signed license but actually taking it to the county clerk (or records office for your state) and having them sign it and give it back to you that day. Then when you move to NC you have the official copy and don't have to wait for it. 

In NC (I lived there two years, including when I was married) the best way to do it is to go to the SS office first, wait 24 hours the to the drivers license bureau, then the car registration/ title agency (if you have a car). In my NC county these were all separate locations and things needed to be changed in that order. You also need the official marriage license for all of those name changes. Good luck! If you specific NC questions happy to help. 
  • Originally we had planned on starting the drive to NC the Tuesday after we got married. So basically 2 business days. But not knowing if I need a hard copy of my SS card and DL to get my ID and so my fiancé can get me enrolled in DEERS is worrying me because I know you get a receipt when you change your SS card and DL but I don't know if the military will accept the receipt or if a hard copy is required. 
  • Originally we had planned on starting the drive to NC the Tuesday after we got married. So basically 2 business days. But not knowing if I need a hard copy of my SS card and DL to get my ID and so my fiancé can get me enrolled in DEERS is worrying me because I know you get a receipt when you change your SS card and DL but I don't know if the military will accept the receipt or if a hard copy is required. 
    Have you FI talk to the benefits coordinator at the base to see what they need. They will have definitely dealt with these issues before and will be able to tell you if you need the receipt of the SS card or if tou have to wait for the hard copy. For what it's worth my new SS card came within a week in NC so it was pretty fast. Good luck!
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    @kmmssg, do you have any information that could help this bride to be?
  • I am so sorry I didn't see this earlier, was trying to go on a family camping trip and get sick at the same time.  I don't recommend that!

Take your hard copies to get into DEERS first and then change your DL and SS card.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    kmmssg said:
    I am so sorry I didn't see this earlier, was trying to go on a family camping trip and get sick at the same time.  I don't recommend that!

Take your hard copies to get into DEERS first and then change your DL and SS card.
    Thank you!  I hope the camping trip was able to kick the illness to the curb, and you were able to enjoy the family trip!
  • So I can do all that with my SS card and DL with my maiden name? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question my fiancé is clueless about all this and expects me to find the answers... Fun times
  • We are renewing my husband's and son's IDs next week.  I am doing a copy and paste from what they sent us:

Adding a dependent:
    TO ADD A SPOUSE: ORIGINAL MARRIAGE LICENSE, SPOUSE'S PHOTO ID, BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND SOCIAL SECURITY CARD. TO ADD CHILDREN YOU NEED BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND SS CARD, STEP CHILDREN NEED THE SAME + MARRIAGE LICENSE EVEN IF SPOUSE IS IN THE SYSTEM.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards