Chit Chat
Options

NWR: Anyone here in HR & willing to give advice?

I am a licensed mental health therapist but I'm burned out with this field. I've always had an interest in the HR field but don't know where to begin. I'm hoping someone here has some advice. 
--Is HR a career field I can easily find a job in? 
--What kind of salary could I expect? 
--I already have a masters degree in counseling psychology. Would you recommend that I earn an associate, bachelor, or masters degree in HR? 
--Are online HR degrees looked down upon in the field? 

Thanks in advance. 

Re: NWR: Anyone here in HR & willing to give advice?

• Options

I can't answer all your questions but I work closely with my HR and I think that the HR world can be really different depending on what environment you are working in. HR dealing with unions vs. HR dealing with small companies vs. HR dealing with large companies.

I think people skills is really important but not just in person people skills. A lot of the HR folks I know do everything over the phone.

• Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I wouldn't look at getting a degree in HR when you already have a masters. Let alone when it isn't something you've tried before.  If anything your current Masters might be good because it would show you have the people skills needed. On a resume I'd beef up administrative work you've done  and also skills that translate - confidentiality, time management, paperwork/case files etc

As PP said, there are so many types of "HR". In a small company working HR could mean doing employee relations, recruitment, payroll, benefits, etc in other companies you might just specialize in recruitment or benefits or some other facet of the job. 

Do some estimates on glassdoor or salary.com to see what different HR jobs in your area are paying. Although even those things I take with a grain of salt. 
  • Options
    I think HR is very different depending on where you are. I had to take classes in accounting and employment law. I have a BA then I took a two year post grad college course(our colleges and Universities are different up here). I work mostly doing payroll now, but I still get called on to write policies and procedures for companies.

Thankfully, I don't work with people too much any more, that's what burned me out in my last job. 
  • Options

I'm not in HR, but I know there are a bunch of different branches. There's benefits, there's payroll, there's talent development, labor relations, recruitment, compensation, employee engagement/inclusion/culture, policy/management... If you work at a big company, you'd probably specialize in one of these areas. If you work at a small company, you'd probably do a little bit of everything.

If your background is psychology, you might be able to find something very entry level in an employee engagement area or maybe org culture or labor relations. Even if you could get an admin position for an HR dept and work your way up from there. No idea what you could expect to make. Totally depends on your geographic location, position title, and company choice.

*********************************************************************************

• Options
    Thanks, everyone. After looking at tuition of online programs, I really don't want to shell out that kind of money for a degree I may not need. (I had no clue online programs cost just as much as traditional schooling). I'm going to just do some more research into my options. 

• Options
    MJKlover said:
    Thanks, everyone. After looking at tuition of online programs, I really don't want to shell out that kind of money for a degree I may not need. (I had no clue online programs cost just as much as traditional schooling). I'm going to just do some more research into my options. 
    Have you thought about working in a non-profit? With your expertise, you could work for a small agency working with people in crisis or policy writing. You wouldn't be working with people every day, but you could be making a difference by helping navigate policy. 
  • Options

I hate to be the downer...and obviously one never knows what can happen...but I've found HR to be a difficult career to get into and I even have a BS in Business Administration (Management).  Many jobs require that major specifically (either for a Bachelor's or Master's) and some even with the "HR" sub concentration.  Small companies generally only have one or no HR people.  Even medium sized companies (100-500) only have a few people in that department.  With no HR specific experience, you'd probably have to start out in an entry level position.

I've done HR type functions in some of the positions I've held.  There is typically a lot of paperwork involved, which may or may not bother you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I hate to be the downer...and obviously one never knows what can happen...but I've found HR to be a difficult career to get into and I even have a BS in Business Administration (Management).  Many jobs require that major specifically (either for a Bachelor's or Master's) and some even with the "HR" sub concentration.  Small companies generally only have one or no HR people.  Even medium sized companies (100-500) only have a few people in that department.  With no HR specific experience, you'd probably have to start out in an entry level position.

I've done HR type functions in some of the positions I've held.  There is typically a lot of paperwork involved, which may or may not bother you.

You're not a downer at all! I wanted honest feedback about the field as I know nothing about it. And I'm a weirdo--I LOVE paperwork. Haha! I've tried for a long time to get my company to create a position for me where I do all the intakes and treatment planning for the whole clinic since so many other therapists hate doing it. Thank you so much for the feedback. 

• Options
    MJKlover said:

You're not a downer at all! I wanted honest feedback about the field as I know nothing about it. And I'm a weirdo--I LOVE paperwork. Haha! I've tried for a long time to get my company to create a position for me where I do all the intakes and treatment planning for the whole clinic since so many other therapists hate doing it. Thank you so much for the feedback. 

A kindred spirit!  I do, too.  There is something so orderly about it.  Everything in its place.  Unnoticed in the background, but makes the foreground run smoothly.  I even find the monotony of typing relaxing, as long as I'm just copying what someone else has written, lol.

That is a shame they won't create that kind of position for you!  I'm sure the other therapists would be thrilled to have you take those duties over for them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You could always look into working for a group health and life insurance broker or working for an HR outsourcing company if going directly into an HR position isn't possible. I work for a group insurance broker and we work directly with HR departments. We work with them to manage the benefits portion of the business. I needed no experience at all to get into this position and my company paid for me to get licensed (which was a tiny expense compared to getting certifications or degrees). I've been doing it for 7 years now and could get a job within HR at a company fairly easily, based on what I've seen and the types of HR departments we work with.

We also have a lot of HR outsourcing companies in my area and I know they take entry level, no experience candidates and train them to do the job. 
  • Options
    This seems like a great opportunity for informational interviewing. Look at your linkedin connections and see if you know anyone who works in an HR role that's in line with what you'd like to do or is at a company like where you'd like to work and invite them for coffee. Someone who is actually in the trenches could give you a lot better information about what to expect.

You'll be amazed. People love to talk about themselves and their careers. 
  • Options
    Or find a job temp agency and ask them to find you a temp job in HR. I worked as an HR assistant for a few months through a temp agency back when I was looking for a job. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    You could always look into working for a group health and life insurance broker or working for an HR outsourcing company if going directly into an HR position isn't possible. I work for a group insurance broker and we work directly with HR departments. We work with them to manage the benefits portion of the business. I needed no experience at all to get into this position and my company paid for me to get licensed (which was a tiny expense compared to getting certifications or degrees). I've been doing it for 7 years now and could get a job within HR at a company fairly easily, based on what I've seen and the types of HR departments we work with.

We also have a lot of HR outsourcing companies in my area and I know they take entry level, no experience candidates and train them to do the job. 
    I feel like you will appreciate this. A coworker just called me for advice on whether or not a situation would be a qualifying event for the employee to come on the group plan. My response "stupidity is not a qualifying event". Perhaps I'm cranky today lol 
  • Options
    kvruns said:

I feel like you will appreciate this. A coworker just called me for advice on whether or not a situation would be a qualifying event for the employee to come on the group plan. My response "stupidity is not a qualifying event". Perhaps I'm cranky today lol 
    That just made my morning! We have a client who put my boss through the hell for a month when she was trying to help their employee decide which plan was best for him, as she was under the impression that he was a new hire. Nope - he was an employee that wanted to switch mid-year because he just wanted a cheaper plan. She about had a meltdown when she found out. 
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    kvruns said:

That just made my morning! We have a client who put my boss through the hell for a month when she was trying to help their employee decide which plan was best for him, as she was under the impression that he was a new hire. Nope - he was an employee that wanted to switch mid-year because he just wanted a cheaper plan. She about had a meltdown when she found out. 
    smh poor boss
  • Options

My BIL is doing this right now. He started entry level and I s till working online classes towards his Bachelors. He has bounced between companies getting raises and is not at one paying for that certification.

You don;t have to work for just one business, he works somewhere that does payroll, etc. for a bunch of small companies who outsource.

• Options
    TNDancer said:

My BIL is doing this right now. He started entry level and I s till working online classes towards his Bachelors. He has bounced between companies getting raises and is not at one paying for that certification.

You don;t have to work for just one business, he works somewhere that does payroll, etc. for a bunch of small companies who outsource.

I've been lucky enough to work for companies that paid for my Life, Disability and Health broker licensing, which has been very much appreciated. I know the class I had to take was $500 and the license itself was $90, plus $80-$100 to renew every two years. It's a little pricey but far cheaper than a master's degree or a lot of the HR certifications that you can go through. Outside of that, all I've needed is my bachelor's degree. 
  • Options
    I work for a university and there are several people within our HR department that serve in a "counselor" type of role to help mediate or handle employee/employer issues.

I would imagine your education and background would be a good fit for such a role.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Y'all have some great ideas! I noticed a few of the online schools have some HR certifications. Cupcait927 do you know anything about those? (Like are they meaningful to have?)

• Options
    @MJKlover Honestly, I don't know too much about them and what the course load is like to get them. I've looked into getting my SHRM-CP certification but haven't actively pursued it yet because I prefer being on the broker side, rather than working for a single employer group in the HR department - I have more variety in my job. I will say that with most of the companies I deal with, very few among the HR staff have certification, for what it's worth.
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    MJKlover said:
    Y'all have some great ideas! I noticed a few of the online schools have some HR certifications. Cupcait927 do you know anything about those? (Like are they meaningful to have?)
    are you talking like PHR and SPHR? I see them a decent amount with HR folks I work with but that wouldn't be my first priority before getting experience in the field. 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    MJKlover said:
    are you talking like PHR and SPHR? I see them a decent amount with HR folks I work with but that wouldn't be my first priority before getting experience in the field. 
    I agree with that statement. Unless you're looking to get a director level HR position, most of the companies I deal with look for experience over certifications. If you did get into an HR position with an employer, you'd most likely be in an HR generalist type of position and you'd be doing paperwork, filing, talking with employees about their benefits, pay, etc. That sort of work doesn't even need a college degree, let alone any certification.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards